Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

Just now, Ham said:

Having said that Mark, UEFA will not be happy with their nearest and dearest being treated like this. 

This is by far the worst breach of FFP in history.  If the rule was put in place for any reason in the first place, surely it was for this very scenario.

An oil rich upstart out-muscling Barca?

I hadn't thought about that , very good point , stealing from their favourites? Maybe they will actually do something about it this time.

They'll ban us.

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I hadn't thought about that , very good point , stealing from their favourites? Maybe they will actually do something about it this time.

They'll ban us.

I'm hoping we'll get away with a fine and an apology to Suleyman again. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Don't worry. No-one by the name of Noone is joining us 😉

Thank God for that....

....now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to the tap to drink-water 😋

Edited by The Fab 4

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They'll ban us.

Hahaha good one. This is pretty much the make or break moment for FFP I suspect. If it falls away I still dont expect us to alter our transfer strategy seeing as nobody pays attention to it currently, maybe the odd vanity signing for Roman.

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Sky are saying Candreva is 'untouchable'. Maybe it'll be Ox as RWB, Barkley as the AM, and then we'll need a LWB and CM. Sky Italia say we've not given up on Sandro, but it's still unlikely in my view.

Neymar's news - £198 million fee, £250 million contract - reminds me of how we were so close to signing him before he went to Barca, but it fell through. Imagine if we'd got him and had Hazard and Neymar in our front three.  He'd have left us too, but man, what a player to have.

I think going to France is bad for his career. Yes, he might win the French league, or even the CL possibly. But it's a tinpot league, not a test, and he won't improve as a player as much as he would in, say, the PL. If he was going to move, and to improve, I think his best move would have been England. Sky are saying United were close to signing him last summer. (Odds on Jose turned it down...doesn't track back.)

As I said earlier in this thread (maybe 3 or 4 days ago), going to PSG actually makes a lot of sense for Neymar (and Neymar, not you, is the person that decision has to make the most sense to).

Neymar is the 'golden boy' of Brazilian football, yet at Barca he's behind Messi (an Argentinian... Brazil's biggest footballing rival) and Suarez (a Uruguayan... so another South American rival). With the history of past Brazilian Ballon d'Or winners weighing heavily on his shoulders, he has to move to where he will be the main guy, not the support act. Being behind Messi and Suarez is, from a Brazilian point of view, 'unacceptable'.

PSG is also home to many of his friends from the national team. He'll not only be the main guy there, but will be surrounded by familiar faces. Furthermore, PSG have never won the Champions League. Think of how he will be remembered (no, not here in the UK, but that doesn't matter to him, only you) if he is the spearhead of their success in that competition.

Neymar is not interested in "improving" as a player (whatever the hell that means)... he's interested in personal glory. He will never get it playing second fiddle to Messi at Barca, but he may get it at PSG. That's the gamble he's taken... one which will see him well paid whatever the final outcome.

It also suits his entourage. Such a move ensures even more money for his father!

As for moving to England; Neymar was never as close to signing for Chelsea as you seem to believe, and even less close to signing for United as the papers will currently have you believe (seriously... a guy who likes to party choosing cold, damp, boring Manchester over Paris???)

1 person likes this

James, the fact that Barkley has had so many games at still hasn't become anything better than average, means we should avoid him at all cost.

I think that both Barkley and Oxlade-Chamberlane would be solid signings. Both young, physically strong, experienced in the Premier League, and with potential to improve under a manager like Conte who is good at getting the best out of his players. As both are coming to the end of their contracts they are both available at a decent price too. We could do a lot worse at this stage of the window. 

29 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I think that both Barkley and Oxlade-Chamberlane would be solid signings. Both young, physically strong, experienced in the Premier League, and with potential to improve under a manager like Conte who is good at getting the best out of his players. As both are coming to the end of their contracts they are both available at a decent price too. We could do a lot worse at this stage of the window. 

I'm in agreement but we're a small minority. 

Add me to that small minority.

I much rather we give a proper chance to Musonda than spend 40mp on Barkley.