• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

I like VVD as a player and thus rate him quite highly.

But is he really necessary with the set up we have here? Surely we'd be better off bringing in decent cover at rwb/lwb? Although both Rudiger and Azpi can play in this vein I think it plays to neithers strengths.

Would prefer to see us move for his teammate Cedric tbh, though other talent is available too.

Just regarding costs of players, I think Watford did great business in not only picking up Chalobah but also Will Hughes, both for a reported combined fee of less than £15m... Young, English with best years ahead of them and will ply their trade for Watford in the EPL.

30m plus for Drinkwater is a joke. Personally (though I don't know what others think of him) I'd forego both him and Barkley and look at Ward-Prowse at Southampton for exactly the same reasoning as Watfords. 

Leicester cashing in on their title win? Drinkwater was there last year and previous to their win. I'm sure if they lost Danny instead of N'Golo, the effects of the loss would have been ripples instead of waves. Likewise Everton's efforts to cash in on the myth of the next Great Scouse Hope should be treated with caution if not derision.

Sensible fees yield sensible business. They're semi-decent/decent players. For what's been touted we should laugh in the prospective sellers faces. And while we're at it tell them to shove their 'Chelsea tax' where the sun don't shine

Just as an aside to the above rant 😉, I also think Christensen deserves the chance to step up this season and Van Dijk would likely obstruct this. Rant over 👍

Jasonb   

I think we will get both Drinkwater and Candreva and look to get for cover for Alonso.

Drinkwater I expect to be defensive midfleld cover.

synavm   
51 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

I like VVD as a player and thus rate him quite highly.

But is he really necessary with the set up we have here? Surely we'd be better off bringing in decent cover at rwb/lwb? Although both Rudiger and Azpi can play in this vein I think it plays to neithers strengths.

Would prefer to see us move for his teammate Cedric tbh, though other talent is available too.

Just regarding costs of players, I think Watford did great business in not only picking up Chalobah but also Will Hughes, both for a reported combined fee of less than £15m... Young, English with best years ahead of them and will ply their trade for Watford in the EPL.

30m plus for Drinkwater is a joke. Personally (though I don't know what others think of him) I'd forego both him and Barkley and look at Ward-Prowse at Southampton for exactly the same reasoning as Watfords. 

Leicester cashing in on their title win? Drinkwater was there last year and previous to their win. I'm sure if they lost Danny instead of N'Golo, the effects of the loss would have been ripples instead of waves. Likewise Everton's efforts to cash in on the myth of the next Great Scouse Hope should be treated with caution if not derision.

Sensible fees yield sensible business. They're semi-decent/decent players. For what's been touted we should laugh in the prospective sellers faces. And while we're at it tell them to shove their 'Chelsea tax' where the sun don't shine

Agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

Watched the Chelsea 8-0 Wigan replay on sky yesterday, when Ancholloti done the double

we then only signed Benayoun and Ramires in the summer to strengthen the squad,

but released Cole,Ballack,belletti,Carvalho and deco, along with a host of other players.

we ended up having to sign Torres and Luiz in Jan as panic buys.

carlo ended up getting the sack, we cocked up also the last time we won the league by not strengthen the squad, you would have thought the board had learnt their lesson by now.

Funny then, that we still ended up finishing 2nd that season. With Torres not really contributing at all. 

I will say we should have kept Ballack another year even if we bought Ramires. And if we were going to buy Torres and Luiz, we should have got in done in the summer. 

In his autobiography Carlo said he wanted us to sign more players but Roman overruled him, and nearly sacked him when we went out the CL that year he was so angry. 

Still look back on Carlo's time with great fondness and wish he could have stayed longer. I'm sure he would have won the CL with us if he'd been properly backed. 

Holymoly   
5 hours ago, James Prescott said:

If Dave stays as CB, I'd imagine Christensen going on loan because we'd then have Cahill and Rudiger behind our first choice defence. But given Conte said he wanted to keep Christensen and gave him a full squad number, I can't imagine that being the case. 

I can't imagine Cahill isn't going to start seeing as he's just been made club captain. Yes I know Terry was but that was a long standing thing whereas Cahill has only just got the gig.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, The Fab 4 said:

Just as an aside to the above rant 😉, I also think Christensen deserves the chance to step up this season and Van Dijk would likely obstruct this. Rant over 👍

Hardly qualifies as a rant.

Must do better.

:happy:

synavm   
59 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/837382/Man-Utd-Chelsea-Barcelona-Sergi-Roberto-Premier-League-Transfer-News-Gossip

£36M is the release clause for Sergi Roberto, if true I have no idea what we are waiting for. A quality player who is able to cover RWB and CM positions.

Extremely logical signing that would be. Not much more expensive than Candreva but younger and better. Swap out Drinkwater for Roberto's mate Rafinha too, add a left back and hey presto, we're nearly there.