• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

32 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He was very vocal on having played a part in Costa, Matic and Fabregas whereas he was the opposite on a lot of the others (Cuadrado, Salah, Djilobodji etc). 

As I recall he said that Matic was not the first choice, but was at least the best value for money (and if he had been there, he would not have let him go before).  

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Boga and Baker won't be here - you can be 100% certain of that. And even if they are, they won't be options...

More likely the second.  Because simply put, they are not options.  The only players who might be options are Christensen and a few of those out on loan.  These two (and Musonda) draw the short straw and spend the season making up the numbers in training in return for a couple of LC games (just the one if they don't try in that).  While the much more playable Kasey Palmer is back with promoted Huddersfield in the Prem.

Sea foot   

VVD wouldn't be a bad shout. Admittedly not needed at the moment but would strengthen us there. Gives Luiz and Cahill a push to keep their place. Gives added height and releases Azpilicueta to play WB. No problems with that.

Drinkwater would be a good rotation option IMO. Would be happy, I would think, to be a bench player and would get games, already knows the league, plus already knows how to play with Kante. That's a plus right there.

The Ox would be a player that, I'm sure, Conte would know how to implement. He still has his best years ahead of him and I thought that he was subdued on Sunday as if he was playing against future teammates. I could be wrong, usually am.

Bale? Injury prone and relies a lot on speed but.....  I would go for him. We all know our medical staff are second to none so if they think they can keep him fit for a couple of seasons ,he's a no brainer.

I'd be happy enough with that. Not perfect but with a couple of the youngsters wouldn't be too bad. Still got the Jan window to come to tweak it for the second half of the season.

Good enough for a fight for the top three spot with the Mancs.

Obviously IMO of course.

22 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

That's of course if you see it in that way. Quite possible it's seen as the following longer term.

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo

DF: Van Dijk, Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger, Christensen

WB: Aurier, Moses, Alonso, Azpilicueta

CM: Kanté, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Drinkwater, (Baker*)

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, (Fabregas), Musonda, (Boga), (Baker*)

S: Morata, Bats, (Pedro), (Hazard).

Problem is, we need far more attackers than defenders. We can deal with a makeshift right back for a game or two depending on the oppo, but you need a variety of fit powerful options for the attacking roles and we simply don't have them because you and I both know Musonda and Boga won't be played and therefore won't develop her (although I hope).

Van Dijk, Aurier and Drinkwater are all decent options - fine.

But we need an improvement on the wingbacks, a top class CM and another versatile forward to push Pedro and Willian. I'd keep Azpi as a CB option, sign Ox and Sandro/Telles instead of Van Dijk. Drinkwater I can live with but why not splash the cash on Verratti or Nainggolan - or similar if they won't come? 

Then a versatile forward like Dybala or Insigne could really give us options.

7 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

VVD wouldn't be a bad shout. Admittedly not needed at the moment but would strengthen us there.

Could it be that he is going somewhere else - another club that is as successfully secretive about its purchases as we are?
No - there aren't any other clubs like us.

jangz   

The fact that going into the season with the current squad is so suicidal, I am sure the board is working towards signings. But since everyone is giving their dream options in the current situation, I will be happy if we get one of Sandro/Matuidi as marquee and then look at someone like a Ox /Mahrez as squad players. 

34 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

The area I would disagree with here is players sold. The players acquired you listed in the likes of Salah etc, in my opinion none of those were his influence.

I would also agree that Costa, Matic and possibly Fabregas were his influence.

The area I don't quite take fully onboard is him not wanting to sell De Bruyne or Lukaku. Cech I agree, he didn't want that deal to happen. The other two, I would describe as he was not bothered. Not a case of he wanted specifically sell them, but I would fully expect he was given an opinion and approved those sales. I also think had he said no, I really want to keep these players then they would not have been sold. 

So not necessarily a case of he wanted to sell them, but more a case of he was not fussed about keeping them.

Well I suppose we can't be sure either way. What I'd oppose to, is that both Mohrinho and both players (KDB, RL) stated that Jose did not want them to leave but that they insisted.

True enough that may have been because they weren't sure they'd be able to fight themselves back into the fore. But when all involved parties tell the same story I'd have thought that's the most likely scenario. 

31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

As I recall he said that Matic was not the first choice, but was at least the best value for money (and if he had been there, he would not have let him go before).  

Fair enough. He did say that - I stand corrected although it changes little to my overall point. 

Sea foot   
44 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Could it be that he is going somewhere else - another club that is as successfully secretive about its purchases as we are?
No - there aren't any other clubs like us.

Of course he could be. I have no idea who is and who isn't coming here, same as everyone else.

Interesting report in The Standard today, apparently Marina is away working on targets. Drinkwater is apparently one of our priorities, but we're also looking at Barkley, Ox, Sanches, Llorente and Sandro - though Sandro is now thought it be unlikely. And if VVD is available, we will bid for him. 

Simon Johnson is usually pretty reliable when it comes to Chelsea, so probably some truth in this.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-chief-marina-granovskaia-steps-up-efforts-as-danny-drinkwater-emerges-as-top-target-a3605986.html

You know it's desperate times when the headline says "Drinkwater emerges as Chelseas top target"... 

Interestingly on VVD, Alex Crook, a local journalist who co-owns a local newspaper which covers Southampton and apparently has close ties with the club, has said that Southampton will likely refuse to sell to Liverpool. However, he said they will be open to offers from other clubs - and thinks he's most likely to end up at Chelsea. 

Could be complete BS, but worth reporting. 

Also on defenders, Christensen's father has said publicly that Conte rates his son highly and actually said he's even better than he thought - and that Christensen is willing to be patient to get his chance to be a first team regular. If Conte rates him that highly, then there's probably no chance of him being loaned out, which is a good thing.

Edited by James Prescott