• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

BlueFizz   
6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Hearing now Conte and board disagree on profile of player we sign. Conte wants to sign established players, the board want to sign younger players who can reach their peak and potential here. 

Its weird because the media make a fuss of who the manager is - but I am becoming more convinced the way our club works is not dependent on who the manager is. Yes, the manager decides tactics, coaches and motivates the players, and has an input on players - but the structure is not built around having one man in place.

To be honest, given the current climate, that's probably a healthier way to go. Building around one manager means when they go, you have huge upheaval like United are just recovering from with Fergie. 

Liverpool had a structure which allowed success when they dominated, it wasn't dependent on one manager. Madrid have that now.

Maybe thats our model, and maybe we shouldn't get so attached to our managers and think our success is dependent on them - because recent history says it's clearly not. 

As long as the manager is of sufficient quality with a proven track record, then it works fine. 

That said, I hope Conte stays, he is the right man for the job.

If and when he eventually goes though, (and my view is that will be in the next 12 months, even if we win the league or CL, he'll walk as he won't want another summer like this, and will have offers), it won't be the downfall of the club on the pitch. 

Where are you hearing now?

I ask, because the Evening Standard says that Conte, Marina and Emenalo have not fallen out and are in broad agreement about what's needed and who to pursue - right there on the back page (continued on page 44).

29 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

If Coutinho goes to Barca the scum will have money and give that to Soton (as they have done often in recent years) and we miss out on van dijk if there were truth in tha, also saw a suggestion somewhere earlier they may also splash of Costa, how horrendous would that be.

That would be a real problem for SkySports... How would they deal with that? 

Dingus   
8 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I ask, because the Evening Standard says that Conte, Marina and Emenalo have not fallen out and are in broad agreement about what's needed and who to pursue - right there on the back page (continued on page 44).

He heard it from Rob Beasley on Twitter.

BlueFizz   
Just now, Dingus said:

He heard it from Rob Beasley on Twitter.

I'll go with the Standard

When offered two dubious news stories, prefer the one that most suits what you want to happen

35 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

James hears and reads everywhere but often without a source. Either he is connected to the club or to journalism

Leo91   

James is like one of the little birds from Game of Thrones, he hears everything. 

Here's who we'll sign...

1502208226767-1878413601.jpg

• Like 3

If we're going to knock on Southampton's door, I'd rather it were for Bertrand and/or Soares than van Dijk.

Unlike others, I'm not convinced that Arsenal will be allowing Oxlade-Chamberlain to leave this window, let alone to us. Arsene isn't letting Sánchez or Özil leave, so why would he allow O-C to leave? He may allow others to leave, given the size of the squad, but he'll want to keep those three. 

I'm OK with the idea of Drinkwater to bolster the midfield; he knows the league and he's partnered Kanté before. Some reports suggest we wanted both last summer, but Leicester were only willing to let one of them go.

I'm not OK with the idea of Ross Barkley. I genuinely don't believe he fits our style or system, and with more games this season, Conte won't have the luxury of a week between fixtures to teach him how to play football. The fact that we'd be giving Everton money to sign him also sickens me.

Alex Sandro looks less and less likely, but then again Juventus said Pogba wasn't for sale right up until they sold him. If Sandro comes, it'll probably be on deadline day.

I really don't know what to think regarding Bale. He's the sort of player who would strengthen any team, obviously, and we need more than just Hazard to provide a threat. On the other hand his injury record isn't great and seems to be getting worse. Real Madrid will want a large chunk of money if they do sell him... and given he's 28 now, there won't be much re-sale value for whoever does buy him; so, is the money worth paying for possibly just 2 seasons or so of top level performances? I suppose if, with his help, we win the CL and attract others the answer may be yes. On the other hand, we might come to a point were we are having to replace both he and Hazard at the same time... not an easy task!

10 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

James hears and reads everywhere but often without a source. Either he is connected to the club or to journalism

Neither... he merely follows hundreds of dubious Twitter accounts.

Agree with those who are concerned about Bale's injury record...

But wouldn't his signing give the place a lift?

I read Arda Turan looks to be leaving Barca...if we're in the hunt for another player in the final third, could do a lot worse. He's 30 now (I think) but good option for a year or three

Edited by The Fab 4