Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Is it? I might be missing something here, or you could be joking, but isn't that 2 RWB's to go with the 1 we already have, and then 2 LWB's to go with the one we already have? Wouldn't that tend to be a bit of an overload?

Cancelo would be RWB, Bertrand LWB, Sanches CM and Ox could cover in all four wide positions and as a central attacking Midfielder.

Edited by synavm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, synavm said:

Cancelo would be RWB, Bertrand LWB, Sanchez CM and Ox could cover in all four wide positions and as a central attacking Midfielder.

Well, I guess it depends on which 'Sanches/z' you're talking about - along with the different spelling, there are a number of options! And I'm sure that Oxlade-Chamberlain is a real Mr. Fix It, but I'd suggest that even this is beyond him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Even if this were true (which I doubt), Wenger would have to agree to sell him to us - which he won't. End of.

Conte didn't agree for Matic to be sold to Man Utd or at all. End of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kezza said:

Conte didn't agree for Matic to be sold to Man Utd or at all. End of.

For a start you don't have the first clue as to whether Conte agreed to sell Matic to MU, or not. Secondly, it has absolutely zero to do with O-C and Wenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

For a start you don't have the first clue as to whether Conte agreed to sell Matic to MU, or not. Secondly, it has absolutely zero to do with O-C and Wenger.

I think his point was, that you don't know that Wenger wouldn't agree to sell him to us - in the same way we don't know what Conte's view on selling Matic to MU was.

You state an opinion as a fact and then jump on someone else for comparing it to a similar situation?!

My personal view is that Arsenal will try and shift some of their players with a year left on their deal this summer.  It's financial suicide if they don't -  Ozil, Sanchez, Ox, Carzola, Wilshere etc could all walk away for free, so they have to cash in on some now.  And Wenger has already stated Sanchez is going nowhere, and nobody seems to be in for Ozil so the list narrows down. 

They won't sell to Spurs, so unless one of the two Manchester clubs come in for any of them, they may well have to sell to us, if we're interested of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob B said:

I think his point was, that you don't know that Wenger wouldn't agree to sell him to us - in the same way we don't know what Conte's view on selling Matic to MU was.

You state an opinion as a fact and then jump on someone else for comparing it to a similar situation?!

Wenger has made it plain (by his actions) that he won't sell to Chelsea (a direct competitor in his eyes), and that he'd rather let the player go on a free when his contract runs out. He'll do exactly the same with Sanchez. If you don't already understand that simple fact, then why don't we just wait and see what happens? And by the way - the two situations you refer to aren't similar, because Chelsea do sell to direct opponents, as we've just seen. There you go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Wenger has made it plain (by his actions) that he won't sell to Chelsea (a direct competitor in his eyes), and that he'd rather let the player go on a free when his contract runs out. He'll do exactly the same with Sanchez. If you don't already understand that simple fact, then why don't we just wait and see what happens? And by the way - the two situations you refer to aren't similar, because Chelsea do sell to direct opponents, as we've just seen. There you go. 

Whenever it happens, I hate the fact that we sell to direct opponents, but it makes them smaller every time we do it. "Here, have one of our cast-offs to improve your team."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Wenger has made it plain (by his actions) that he won't sell to Chelsea (a direct competitor in his eyes), and that he'd rather let the player go on a free when his contract runs out. He'll do exactly the same with Sanchez. If you don't already understand that simple fact, then why don't we just wait and see what happens? And by the way - the two situations you refer to aren't similar, because Chelsea do sell to direct opponents, as we've just seen. There you go. 

Did Wenger sanction the sale of RvP to United, or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Whenever it happens, I hate the fact that we sell to direct opponents, but it makes them smaller every time we do it. "Here, have one of our cast-offs to improve your team."

Don't get the fuss to be honest myself with selling to a direct rival - as long as said player isn't in their prime and a key player here at the time. If a player wants t move I'd rather sell a player to a rival and recoup a transfer fee then potentially see them leave on a free to join them anyway. May as well recoup something that can be reinvested.

Matic will improve Man Utd, although he's only got a short life span left because of his limitations with mobility. Soon enough he'll actually become a bit of a liability once his athletic side declines further with age. While looking back at the Cech sale he's not exactly been the force he was when here. In and out of the Arsenal side, some sloppy performances and overall the side hasn't improved because of it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Did Wenger sanction the sale of RvP to United, or not?

I have no idea if he did, or didn't. According to RvP in comments he made after the transfer, everything was amicable. In the context of my comment (the one you quoted), is it relevant, and does it even matter? I doubt it. For a start, and to state the obvious, that deal was between Arsenal and Man Utd, not Arsenal and Chelsea.

But here's a question for you: we signed (with some serious aggravation coming our way from Wenger) Ashley Cole back in 2006. In the ensuing 11 seasons, how many Arsenal players have moved directly to Chelsea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now