Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Why? Surely the best place for him is as far away as possible from our squad.

Nah, we need more potential disruptions. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not as far as I'm aware. His current contract runs out next summer.

Although he could potentially sign a pre-contract with a club outside of England once he enters the final 6 months. 

Just now, xCELERYx said:

Although he could potentially sign a pre-contract with a club outside of England once he enters the final 6 months. 

Sure.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not as far as I'm aware. His current contract runs out next summer.

I think he means we could cut a deal with the Ox in January. Same with Sanchez (assuming both are over the minimum age in which you do the bosman thing- which I know Sanchez is, not sure about Ox).

Next Summer could be massive for us if we play our cards right (we won't!)

Edited by synavm

One positive thing about this weak transfer window, which I'm not sure anyone has noticed, is that we have quietly gone from title defenders to "are they even going to get top four now/is Conte staying beyond this season"? The hype is non existent and that can only help relieve some pressure on this current group. Conte, a former top player, knows how important the mental aspect of the game is. I don't doubt that he is unhappy about the squad size, but I do wonder whether he is milking the situation for all its worth. 

3 minutes ago, synavm said:

I think he means we could cut a deal with the Ox in January.

Not necessarily sure that we could. My friend xCELERYx here suggests that deals could be put to bed with clubs in Europe, not England. I haven't checked...:).

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not necessarily sure that we could. My friend xCELERYx here suggests that deals could be put to bed with clubs in Europe, not England. I haven't checked...:).

Yeah just saw that. I'm not too clear on it, so I stand corrected!

On 8/8/2017 at 0:54 AM, samhoward17 said:

Aurier I would be on board with. Excellent player although there has been some question marks over his attitude and there is a chance he wouldn't be allowed in the country.

Aurier's a beast and would be a quality addition, but the question marks over his attitude remain. Regardless, nobody can make a move on him until his appeal is heard. 

On 8/8/2017 at 4:01 AM, xCELERYx said:

This. Plus, I might be in the minority here, but since last season ended Azpi's form has tailed off substantially. He was woeful for Spain during their games at the end of the season and directly at fault for a couple of goals in one fixture, he's been less than solid in the friendlies played this season,  and he looked at little shaky against Arsenal at times in the community shield.

He's not immune to be upgraded on if he remains at CB. 

He was very solid against Arsenal, in fact the back 3 (and Kante) were our best players. Azpi is absolutely vital to our system as the RCB, evidenced by the fact that he completed more passes than anyone else in the league last season. IMO, Conte trusts him in that position unconditionally. 

On 8/8/2017 at 11:41 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

Which is why I stated that I'd be utterly surprised if Conte stayed beyond his first three seasons. That's not how we operate - it's almost like we want to have turnover in managers just to re-energise the squad. 

The new contract for Conte speaks volumes on his long-term prospects here. 

This is absolutely true, and rather scarily confirmed by the club director, no less:

On 8/8/2017 at 0:51 PM, RobertoftheGiz said:

why would we px a 22 year old for a 30 year old with no resale value?

On 8/8/2017 at 0:56 PM, synavm said:

Because Chelsea.

If anything it's exactly the opposite to what we do. When's the last time we bought a 30 year old for a decent fee? 

23 hours ago, Dingus said:

It's the AM department where we're woefully short.

When Hazard is out, there just isn't that same quality coming from WIllian and Pedro. Yes they are good players and do a job but we want to be in a position where if Hazard is out, we have someone of equal quality coming in so the impact of him not playing is minimal.

23 hours ago, The Fab 4 said:

Dependancy on Hazard is a concern. Likewise I rate Willian and Pedro but we could do with another to bolster the AM position. Would look at Mahrez, far more sensible and necessary than for example VVD

23 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

I think we're asking for trouble if we don't buy a really good attacking midfielder. That's the one position (well, along with the wing back positions) that we need to give some real attention to, but I don't think we will.

Look at the options of the teams around us (for arguments sake, I've kept out Fabregas for us, Yaya Toure, Nasri, Herrera, Fellani, Rashford, Wilshere, Cazorla, Welbeck and any youngsters who have played less than 10 games):

---

United: Pogba, Mata, Mkitaryan, Martial, Lingaard

City: De Bruyne, Sane, Bernardo SIlva, Sterling, David Silva

Arsenal: Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott, Iwobi, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Chelsea: Hazard, Pedro, Willian

---

We're about to enter a season with an injured Hazard, Pedro (who got his faced smashed in a few weeks ago) and an often ineffective Willian. Even Liverpool and Spurs have greater numbers than us in that area.

Utter madness.

Yes, we're under-stocked at AM, especially so considering how important they are to our system and how many minutes they'll be expected to play (off the bench as well) during the course of the season. Injuries and fatigue could be a real issue and I really don't see Conte trusting Musonda to play important minutes. 

Mahrez would be a solid addition but I don't see us interested, otherwise I reckon we would have made a move already. Unfortunately I don't see us adding to the position, for this season at least. 

The Bosman rule can be used when moving between PL clubs. Theoretically Sanchez and O-C can sign precontract terms with us (or anyone else) in January.

15 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think the 'Costa to Liverpool' story started with some half-arsed remark from Phil Thompson regarding AM buying Costa then loaning him to Liverpool until January (not realising, the thick Scouser that he is, that AM are banned from registering players, and in order to loan a player out, they must first be registered to the club doing the loaning out!)

I am not sure that is true, but happy to be corrected. 

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Is it? I might be missing something here, or you could be joking, but isn't that 2 RWB's to go with the 1 we already have, and then 2 LWB's to go with the one we already have? Wouldn't that tend to be a bit of an overload?

Sanches (Renato) and Oxlade-Chamberlain would fill other positions than WB

10 hours ago, Kezza said:

Conte didn't agree for Matic to be sold to Man Utd or at all. End of.

How do you know that?

27 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

I think over a certain age, you can sign pre contract agreements with English clubs too.