Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he'd be a good deputy for Fabregas , he has a brilliant work ethic , covers loads of ground (something Fab cannot do ) and would allow us to deviate from the 3-4-3 should we need it , plus he takes a mean free kick too , I think we can make a number 8 out of him .

I seem to remember Fabregas was actually surprisingly at the top of the stats for km covered for most of our matches, must have been the season before last seeing as he didn't play much last season. Positioning and covering the right spaces is far more useful than running around like a headless chicken chasing the ball (not accusing Fab of this) Siggurdsson at £40-50m is a no for me for the same reasons as he doesn't fit any position in the team same as Barkley, if Barkley is available for £25m then maybe worth a punt. If we are spending £40m for a player they need to be nailed on for a role in the team not cover for all/no positions.

Drinkwater I can understand as a 4th choice CM. I would prefer we found a way to accomodate some of our ludicrously talented youngsters but I get that Conte wants proven professionals as he has short term aims not long term ones.

But Barkley is abysmal and Siggurdsson wouldn't fit in our system as it is - and is far too expensive at £50m.

My view is we sign world class talents or integrate top quality youngsters and give them games (I know this is completely at odds with our current strategy).

Our squad could have been packed with Christensen, Chalobah, McEachran, Loftus-Cheek, Baker, Musonda, Boga, Abraham, Solanke et al. They could all (have been) be good enough. 

30 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

Drinkwater I can understand as a 4th choice CM. I would prefer we found a way to accomodate some of our ludicrously talented youngsters but I get that Conte wants proven professionals as he has short term aims not long term ones.

But Barkley is abysmal and Siggurdsson wouldn't fit in our system as it is - and is far too expensive at £50m.

My view is we sign world class talents or integrate top quality youngsters and give them games (I know this is completely at odds with our current strategy).

Our squad could have been packed with Christensen, Chalobah, McEachran, Loftus-Cheek, Baker, Musonda, Boga, Abraham, Solanke et al. They could all (have been) be good enough. 

The player I thought we screwed up big time is Kevin De Bruyne. The guy just oozes class and style that typifies a great midfielder. I see him in the mould of Modric and Iniesta. We f up pretty bad there.

22 minutes ago, Kezza said:

The player I thought we screwed up big time is Kevin De Bruyne. The guy just oozes class and style that typifies a great midfielder. I see him in the mould of Modric and Iniesta. We f up pretty bad there.

Where would De Bruyne play? 

RW or LW?

He doesn't have the pace or ability to press I'm afraid. He's a luxury we can do without just fine. Much rather Pedro, Willian or Hazard in those positions and he can't play as a CM in a midfield two either...

He also seems rather lazy and has very high thoughts of himself. He's just fine where he is. 

To me, Chalobah is the one we screwed up.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Where would De Bruyne play? 

RW or LW?

He doesn't have the pace or ability to press I'm afraid. He's a luxury we can do without just fine. Much rather Pedro, Willian or Hazard in those positions and he can't play as a CM in a midfield two either...

He also seems rather lazy and has very high thoughts of himself. He's just fine where he is. 

Those roles are inside forwards IMO and he could have adapted. Sure he would be more of a link player because he likes getting on the ball - but I think he can run in behind too. 

For e.g. Ozil can play there and DB is better.

1 hour ago, bluecueball said:

We can add more to this list of great youth team players who struggled to impact.. Sinclair... kakuta manciene etc.. but we also have to trust some of the coaches.. it wasn't as if RLC did a lot when he was given the chance.. chalobah looked solid and in the above list that is the one which would have been closest.

15 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

Those roles are inside forwards IMO and he could have adapted. Sure he would be more of a link player because he likes getting on the ball - but I think he can run in behind too. 

For e.g. Ozil can play there and DB is better.

Sure - but he's still more of an immobile #10 than an inside forward. He doesn't have the speed, dribbling skill or intensity of Willian, Pedro or Hazard. Still a great shot and crosser. Has real passing ability too. 

I think his perfect role is what Mata did for us in the hole 2012. He needs to have the side built around him but I don't think he's good enough for that. 

After going to City he's made a habit of playing well against the lesser sides (he's limitations aren't as critical) while not really stepping it up consistently imo. He's a good player yes, but I don't think he's a great one. I'm not blaming City's inability to win the league on him, but the defensive solidity and robustness isn't helped when you add a weak core to the mix. 

I don't miss him at all. But I accept I'm in a minority on this one. 

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sure - but he's still more of an immobile #10 than an inside forward. He doesn't have the speed, dribbling skill or intensity of Willian, Pedro or Hazard. Still a great shot and crosser. Has real passing ability too. 

I think his perfect role is what Mata did for us in the hole 2012. He needs to have the side built around him but I don't think he's good enough for that. 

After going to City he's made a habit of playing well against the lesser sides (he's limitations aren't as critical) while not really stepping it up consistently imo. He's a good player yes, but I don't think he's a great one. I'm not blaming City's inability to win the league on him, but the defensive solidity and robustness isn't helped when you add a weak core to the mix. 

I don't miss him at all. But I accept I'm in a minority on this one. 

I don't miss him much, either. Don't miss Mata, other than for his off-pitch personality.

There's way too much 'the ones that got away' nostalgia on this forum, in my opinion.

Grass is always greener - except, I don't think so. Hazard, Pedro, willian - awesome trio!

N'Zonzi anyone?