• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   

FWIW re Drinkwater and him having a poor EPL season, his overall stats aren't too dissimilar from 15/16 season. Averaged around the same level of tackles and interceptions and the main difference was his impact offensively. He had 2 goal and 7 assists in their title winning season compared to 1 goal and 1 assist last year. Fair to say that some of this will have been impacted by the loss of Kante and requiring to do more defensive work than previously, while Leicesters struggling form too. 

As a 4th choice CM he'd be more than capable and dependable.

kev61   
8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don't miss him at all. But I accept I'm in a minority on this one. 

Spot on Dave - if we didn't have a minority opinion we are sheep.I agree with everything you said about debruyne.

xCELERYx   
16 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Yep me too,a better player than pogba.

I like Chalobah as much as the next person but this is absolute nonsense. 

kev61   
10 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

I like Chalobah as much as the next person but this is absolute nonsense. 

OK I deliberated on saying 'potentially better' I'm curious - what do you see in Pogba that has you running to his defence?.Imo he has been a complete waste of money - what say you?.

kev61   

I find this whole transfer thing bizarre.We have just won the league and people are questioning the clubs commitment..

What should we do? -go out and buy every player we are "connected" with.We have had huge financial loses in the past,buying duds.This season we are balancing the books and not paying stupid money for players that really will not make a difference.

xCELERYx   
52 minutes ago, kev61 said:

OK I deliberated on saying 'potentially better' I'm curious - what do you see in Pogba that has you running to his defence?.Imo he has been a complete waste of money - what say you?.

I'm not "running to his defence", I'm merely being rational. Having watched a substantial amount of Pogba during his rise at Juventus he's a very good player. There has been glimmers of this at United, however he's also being utilised in a completely different manner which hasn't allowed him to have the impact most people initially expected. This is fault of both Mourinho not really using him correctly and also the system he's now playing in. At Juventus, he excelled mainly on the left hand side of a midfield three, where he had more freedom and less defensively responsibility. He also wasn't the focal point, which was shared between Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio at any given time. 

As for Chalobah, he's a promising player that hasn't really done anything at senior level. His highest return of league appearances in his career for a season is 15 at Reading back in 14/15 in the Championship. The one top flight loan he had at Napoli ended up seeing him play 29 minutes for the Serie A season across 5 sub appearances. At this point of his career, although there is talent there, he's not exactly achieved anything of note at senior top flight level - let alone be considered better than a player who was a key figure at an elite side that was hugely successful domestically and made solid pushes within the CL. 

As of now, Chalobah is a long way behind Pogba. That's simply the reality of the situation.

kev61   
29 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

As of now, Chalobah is a long way behind Pogba. That's simply the reality of the situation.

What does that mean??.pogba was given a chance? Chalobah wasn't?.Pogba is the most over - rated midfielder in the history of the premiership.

xCELERYx   
49 minutes ago, kev61 said:

What does that mean??.pogba was given a chance? Chalobah wasn't?.Pogba is the most over - rated midfielder in the history of the premiership.

Clearly what I explained has flown over the top of your head, although it was quite self explanatory. 

Chalobah has been given chances, in fact he's had chances at a number of clubs on loan and he's failed to establish himself enough beyond a career high of 15 games in a Championship season. This actually earned him a move to Napoli the following year in which he didn't make the grade. He came back and picked up some minutes here, but at 22 he wanted to play more regularly and left - which I can completely understand. That said, he isn't better than Kante, Bakayoko or Fabregas at this point, and while an opening was there for him to gain potentially extra game time it wasn't seen as enough by the player and thus he chose to move to a lower level club where regular playing time was more of a guarantee. 

Pogba isn't overrated. Too many just had absolutely ridiculous expectations based on his transfer fee. Those who've actually spent time watching him over the last few years know he's a very good player, just not a 90m player - yet. The fact he also started slowly since rejoining United hasn't helped and that's something you can pin on Mourinho and his system/usage of him.

Edited by xCELERYx

Kezza   
26 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Pogba isn't overrated. Too many just had absolutely ridiculous expectations based on his transfer fee. Those who've actually spent time watching him over the last few years know he's a very good player, just not a 90m player - yet. The fact he also started slowly since rejoining United hasn't helped and that's something you can pin on Mourinho and his system/usage of him.

Yup. And we have did our best this summer to help them get the best out of him.