Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Pogba isn't overrated. Too many just had absolutely ridiculous expectations based on his transfer fee. Those who've actually spent time watching him over the last few years know he's a very good player, just not a 90m player.

Is that not over-rated?.Zaffo you may know Conte's favourite after shave - but please don't patronise me.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Pogba is the most over - rated midfielder in the history of the premiership.

Sorry Kev, but I have to disagree. That title sits squarely with the wonderfully useless Juan Sebastian Veron.....:).

8 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry Kev, but I have to disagree. That title sits squarely with the wonderfully useless Juan Sebastian Veron.....:).

Indeed Michael and raneiri  p!ayed him to perfection!.

44 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Is that not over-rated?.Zaffo you may know Conte's favourite after shave - but please don't patronise me.

You cannot use a players transfer fee (which he has no input in I might add) as the sole basis of judging a players ability though. You're only going to end up with an unrealistic and inaccurate conclusion. Pogba was certainly overvalued (half the reason why Juventus sold), but that's entirely different from a players ability.

He remains a very good player, whether or not he'll live up to his 90m transfer fee remains to be seen. We'll only know this in time. 

18 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

You cannot use a players transfer fee (which he has no input in I might add) as the sole basis of judging a players ability though. You're only going to end up with an unrealistic and inaccurate conclusion. Pogba was certainly overvalued (half the reason why Juventus sold), but that's entirely different from a players ability.

He remains a very good player, whether or not he'll live up to his 90m transfer fee remains to be seen. We'll only know this in time. 

Waffle sorry folks.

17 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Waffle sorry folks.

I think the point is that you said Chalobah is better than Pogba. 

If that's not waffle then I don't know what is.

Like most on here, I'd have liked to have seen what Chalobah could do but honestly he was all potential, he wasn't Chelsea level last season- if we want to keep winning, opportunities are extremely limited and therefore transfers or loans are generally an academy players onlyncuabce. A move will do him good, and who knows, should he reach his potential, he'll be back.

Isn't a player's transfer fee an indication of how highly they are valued, at least to the purchaser? If the transfer fee is greatly in excess of the apparent value of the player on the field then I would say that the player was overrated. With Pogba, I suspect we are still waiting for him to consistently show his value for Man United. I don't think he has done that yet. I am not sure his performances for Juve count as the valuation is, presumably, on the basis of what he is expected to do for Man U. As ridiculous as it sounds, on first reading, Pogba can be said to have been overrated (so far).

Drinkwater is not a better player, imo. I suspect he would fit into our midfield better than Pogba but that's to do with balance more than to do with the individual attributes of the player.

Ox would be a smart signing. Versatile and can add quality and creativity options to the squad at the same time. Solves two areas we need badly for options and alternatives. RWB and the wide forward positions will be covered. At the rate we are getting deals done, this might be a smart move to solve a few issues at once, if it pulls through.

I hope we go all out for Danny Rose tbh. Other than Sandro he's the ideal signing for LWB - fast, aggressive, good defensively and going forward, knows the PL and is English. 

....And if United get him (because they're bound to be interested), I'd even take Shaw off their hands.  But with Sandro or Rose, we have a great opportunity to upgrade that position.