Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

Bats look in form as he did last year when he got a chance and if Morata can get up and running we have 2 good options up front and I dodnt see it as the end of the world, Hazard has also played up front on occasion. I am also quite comfortable with our midfield, defence and GK options. Anything we take now is more options but we should have nothing to fear. 

Sure I would like to see some more depth but not at all costs.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Jamie Redknapp actually mentioned on Sky recently that the transfer deadline should be set till the last day before the PL begins - and I completely agree, if only because then we wouldn't have all this delay, delay, delay stuff which leaves us very short only two days before the PL begins. 

Goodness knows what Spurs fans feel right now. They've not signed one player. The difference is, their squad Is relatively strong, ours isn't.

Sick of this every year. Lessons not learned.

1. The PL doesn't start when the other European leagues do, though. We could close the English window, let's say tomorrow, then what if Barca, Real Madrid, whoever bid for a player? Not only do they unsettle the player, you are then left with not being able to replace them if you agree to sell (or they pay a buy out). We can't make up rules for our league then leave ourselves hamstrung (not Chelsea specific, the PL in general)

2. Spurs have a strong squad? Go on, I'm listening. Their bench last year was painfully weak, and has got weaker. Don't make things up to prove an argument. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

2. Spurs have a strong squad? Go on, I'm listening. Their bench last year was painfully weak, and has got weaker. Don't make things up to prove an argument. 

I'm not sure if this is what JP was alluding to but ill add my 2c: Spurs lost only Walker during the summer and he was replaced in the line up anyway with a more than adequate Trippier in the last weeks of the league. We lost Matic, Costa and Hazard (even if the latter just temporarily) from our starting line up that won the league. In this context, you could say we've had it worse so far, though still a way to go until the window shuts. 

Posted (edited)

Morata's movement reminds me a little of this guy...and what a class act he was..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4778030/Hernan-Crespo-Chelsea-Neymar.html

Nice read.👍

Edit: Hope he's no Nostredamus with his title winning prediction though.

Edited by The Fab 4

21 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Bats look in form as he did last year when he got a chance and if Morata can get up and running we have 2 good options up front and I dodnt see it as the end of the world, Hazard has also played up front on occasion. I am also quite comfortable with our midfield, defence and GK options. Anything we take now is more options but we should have nothing to fear. 

Sure I would like to see some more depth but not at all costs.

We have lots to fear regarding the current size of the squad. It's clearly there to see.

But fair play to you thinking otherwise.

10 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Imagine not being paid what you're worth when you know you could get paid better elsewhere, not being able to reach your career goals and knowing you could do elsewhere, and your employers refusing to let you improve your prospects elsewhere.

I'd be frustrated in that situation. I think we all would. I don't blame him at all - at least he's being honest.

And I'm pretty sure he's not alone in feeling that way at Spurs. Their wage ceiling is £100k a week. For a club which aspires to win the PL and compete for the CL, that's just ridiculous. It will stop them getting big players, and eventually big players there will get frustrated and ask to go.

If things stay as they are, expect issues to come up with Dele Ali next summer, and maybe, eventually, Harry Kane. Ultimately players want to win things and get paid what their peers are getting paid. Levy will end up ruining that club with his ridiculous wage cap. 

Which is fine by me, to be honest. Then we might get Harry Kane, if our board are ballsy enough to make a bid big enough. I can easily see Ali going to Madrid or City in the next year or two.

For me it's a case of the grass always looks greener on the other side, Rose has pace and dribbling ability but Alonso is better in every other department. Now, I'm the first to admit that Alonso's lack of pace is frustrating, but Rose is not a tactical player and always needs his pace to bail himself out(which at 27 means he hasn't got long of it left); he'll gain a place in the squad but then he'd lose it again - and it'll happen faster than even I think because Rose has zero presence in the air. Personally I think wages such as £100,000 are too much for a player like Rose.

As for Alli and Kane, Alli won't be the same player anywhere else, he calls himself a midfielder but stands upfront, tailor made system to accommodate him; he won't and doesn't deserve it anywhere else. Kane is a quality finisher, a proper Shearer number 9, he'll score goals almost wherever he goes; but not for us, the demands we put on a lone striker will see him starved of goal scoring chances and he isn't the best at picking the right options when dropping deep; I think if he had to work as hard as Costa he'd probably burnout. They may very well be great players, but I don't see them as winners, if there's a Spurs player we should be looking at its Erikson; no explanation needed.

31 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

No matter who we sign now, leaving it till the last minute, and going into the PL season with our current size squad, is totally unacceptable, amateur, shoddy and lacks any understanding of the reality of football. You need your squad together as early as possible to get off to a good start and get players integrated well. 

Jamie Redknapp actually mentioned on Sky recently that the transfer deadline should be set till the last day before the PL begins - and I completely agree, if only because then we wouldn't have all this delay, delay, delay stuff which leaves us very short only two days before the PL begins. 

We've had months to get deals done, we could have begun working on targets before the end of the season and got the deals done. There is literally no excuse - we have the money, we need the players. 

It's shoddy, and unprofessional. We can do better.

Goodness knows what Spurs fans feel right now. They've not signed one player. The difference is, their squad is relatively strong, ours isn't.

Sick of this every year. Lessons not learned.

Funny then that our weaker squad beat theirs to the title last year and knocked them out of the FA Cup in the semi?

10 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

I'm not sure if this is what JP was alluding to but ill add my 2c: Spurs lost only Walker during the summer and he was replaced in the line up anyway with a more than adequate Trippier in the last weeks of the league. We lost Matic, Costa and Hazard (even if the latter just temporarily) from our starting line up that won the league. In this context, you could say we've had it worse so far, though still a way to go until the window shuts. 

It was / is clear. 

Yes, they haven't lost anyone bar Walker, but their squad was already weak. Great first XI, poor squad. 

Posted (edited)

Our squad might be weak in numbers, but it's at that stage where we should be looking for genuine starters. Can we find genuine players for LWB & RWB(Sandro & Cancelo), CM(Sergej), AM(Mahrez)? We need more competition in the squad. No point in signing players we won't use, otherwise the starters get complacents, we need real quality.

Edited by GURJ SS

7 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Our squad might be weak in numbers, but it's at that stage where we should be looking for genuine starters. Can we find genuine players for LWB & RWB(Sandro & Cancelo), CM(Sergej), AM(Mahrez)? We need more competition in the squad. No point in signing players we won't use, otherwise the starters get complacents, we need real quality.

I agree with you - and everytime Conte talks about needing more players, he qualifies that by saying they need to be of the right quality.

That might be why it's taking more time than we are happy with: eg fourth choice midfielders are harder to find if you actually want four first choice players who can cover injuries with no drop in quality and push each other when all fit.