Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,293 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ham said:

It really annoys me how nobody seems in the slightest bit concerned at just how few English players we have in our squad. 

If Ox, Barkley and/or Drinkwater are available and cost more, so be it.

I don't care if there are better foreign players available. I'd be far prouder of the club if we were able to put out four English players each week. 

It's one thing about Spurs I really respect. 

The current generation of English players is not great and I think that is what the problem is. The three you have mentioned would all be capable squad players and not much more, that is why some do not want to spend £35m+ on them as that money can get you a first XI player. Additionally, the top quality English players - Alli, Kane, Dier, Rose and Rashford - play for teams that are unlikely to sell to us unless it is an absolutely obscene amount of money. 

That said, the new generation coming through (the 17-21's) look like there is a number of players that could go on to e top players and a number of them play for our development teams. I am hopeful that in 5-10 years time England will have a decent national team again and it will contain a number of Chelsea graduates, although whether they play for us or pull a Solanke is another matter... 

Agreed but he doesn't fit into a 343 or 352 does he ? I do think we need to be flexible and change to 433 at times so he would be useful then but there's no signs of that from Conte yet.

34 minutes ago, Ham said:

I don't care what anybody says, he's worth £30m of anyone's money in the current climate and would flourish under Conte and alongside better players. 

Mate, I'm not so sure. We've been linked in the media with Barkley since the window opened, and yet, reading this, we haven't made a single  bid. No one. And neither has anyone else! Don't you find that strange if he really is such a talent, and a Chelsea/Conte target?

I'm also a bit bemused as to why you think that he'd 'flourish under Conte'? He is what he is (imo, a very limited, low-intelligence player) and if he hasn't shown more flexibility/growth in his game up to now (which really, he hasn't), then I doubt that he's got it in him, tbh. 

Posted (edited)

My wife introduced me to kedgeree lately - fish, eggs and rice! - Christ what a horrible combination I thought - it was delicious.we need to get balance.Leicester did it last year without breaking the bank.

We have the players bar central midfield and a left back and a centre forward.I have seen enough of bats to say he will not make it for us.

Edited by kev61

Posted (edited)

I think Barkley is a good footballer, but he lacks the intelligence to be a Conte signing. He could make up for that with great concentration and work-rate, like Moses for instance, but he lacks that too. Loses the ball way too often, and is extremely undependable tactically. Would be massively surprised if we had any interest in buying him. But why all the links then? Both Everton and Chelsea will benefit from false interest from our side - it is making it more difficult/expensive for Tottenham to acquire him - so whoever fed the press with this "intel" is certainly making it up to suit their agenda. 

We are not after him. And for what it's worth, don't believe we will sign a an AM this window unless a world class player becomes available (Bale).

Edited by jones

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

My wife introduced me to kedgeree lately - fish, eggs and rice! - Christ what a horrible combination I thought - it was delicious.we need to get balance.Leicester did it last year without breaking the bank.

We have the players bar central midfield and a left back and a centre forward.I have seen enough of bats to say he will not make it for us.

Mourinho's Kedgeree advice...

'And it depends on the quality of the eggs in the supermarket. They are class one, two or three and some are more expensive than others'

Quality eggs make a meal fit for champions anything else is a recipe for disaster..

Posted (edited)

I know Swanseas cannot loan more players from us, but if they lost Sigurdsson, I'd be going all out for Lewis Baker if I were them. Is a like for like when it comes to set piece quality, and could be instrumental in the no 10 role in their 4-3-1-2. 

And for us, a sale with a buy back, is just as interesting as a two year loan to the Championship.

Edited by jones