Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Man City and Man Utd top 2 again. Loved it. Just like last summer. 

How bitter is Ruud Guillit! He's never forgotten Ken Bates only offering him a contract as a manager...

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Indeed... One of the first things pointed out was that he was being asked to renew/extend his contract with a view to being sent out on yet another loan. No wonder he decided to leave for good.

Bit of a random one (know I'll get a quicker response here), ahead of the game tomorrow, what's the best pub for atmosphere near the Bridge nowadays? Used to do the So Bar regularly, but haven't really bothered since it's changed up to what it is now and fancy a bit of a lively pre-game drink or five. I know the Imperial has also now been gentrified.

15 minutes ago, synavm said:

Bit of a random one (know I'll get a quicker response here), ahead of the game tomorrow, what's the best pub for atmosphere near the Bridge nowadays? Used to do the So Bar regularly, but haven't really bothered since it's changed up to what it is now and fancy a bit of a lively pre-game drink or five. I know the Imperial has also now been gentrified.

I drink way down the Fulham Rd, outside The Anglesea Arms on Selwood Terrace: seats outside in sun, a few Chelsea, a few local poshies, decent beer - BUT not a heaving, footie pub if that's what you want. More the discerning blue's escape from the busier places.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, JaneB said:

And a Chelsea fan? Although Lukaku was meant to be too 🙄

From my limited knowledge I thought Rose was a better prospect than Shaw who's rather gone backwards?

Rose wants to go back up norf and would not be sold to us until after 20-Aug game, Also Shaw is 5 years younger than Rose

Shaw is the kind of player the Spud would go for as he has already been coached by Pochettino 

31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

How bitter is Ruud Guillit! He's never forgotten Ken Bates only offering him a contract as a manager...

I don't think he's bitter, I just think he sometimes appoints himself as a voice of the fans.

He's used his platform to pretty much say we need to strengthen and can't afford to stand still.

10 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

There are no English players on the same level as JT, Lamps and Cole. The best we can get is a Parker, Bridge and Johnson, but those type of players are first team players and would end up making 2 things happen at this club: bring our quality down or lose their place and be a waste of money and time.

Quite. I only want English players becasue they are good enough, not becasue their passport says "UK"

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, I'm not so sure. We've been linked in the media with Barkley since the window opened, and yet, reading this, we haven't made a single  bid. No one. And neither has anyone else! Don't you find that strange if he really is such a talent, and a Chelsea/Conte target?

Quite. Again. If Barkley is so talented, it seems very odd that not ONE club has bid for him, even bearing in mind he clearly wants to go and wouldnt take much (any) convincing. I often think a real judge of a player's standing in the game is who would come knocking if they were up for sale. In the case, the answer is "nobody"

47 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Ruud Gullit is staunch Chelsea. Not bitter at all. Read the stroy about when we won the CL in 2012 - he was celebrating like a fan in front of the then Spurs manager, Harry Saggy Chops. 

18 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Not sure I would want someone like Danny Rose at the club after that interview.

People have ended up in far more of an uproar over here over Diego Costa's so called "attitude problems" without him giving an interview like that...

Thought it was really unprofessional on Rose's part to be honest.

As for us still having 3 weeks to sort the window, well that just shows how badly the board have failed, doesnt it?

I mean, the whole point of it is to get the right players in and give them the absolute best shot of hitting the ground running by letting them have a preseason with their new team mates. Sure, some have stated time and again that we got 2 solid players in last year at the last minute and that worked well - and that's great and all, but it's not the point. 

If United get Lindelof, Matic, Aurier and Lukaku in this transfer window I think that makes them favourites to be honest. You couple that together with De Gea, Bailly, Pogba, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Lingaard, Mata and you have got a really solid side IMO. Would surely be your typical Mourinho side - effective and able to execute a game plan.

18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Martial never plays and Lingaard is bang average. 

If you write down our top 11 or 12 players, it compares far more favourably. But that is not where are issue lies. 

Our top 11-12 players are better, no doubt, but as you say that's not where the issue lies. Jose has a lot more usable players at his disposable and he's starting to get his identity across with a clear playing style emerging (a hard press and quick transitions with some real physicality throughout the team). In terms of personnel, they look ready for a long, arduous season. And that's worrying. 

16 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

I agree with you - and everytime Conte talks about needing more players, he qualifies that by saying they need to be of the right quality.

That might be why it's taking more time than we are happy with: eg fourth choice midfielders are harder to find if you actually want four first choice players who can cover injuries with no drop in quality and push each other when all fit.

If that's the profile of CM we're targeting, I don't see why the likes of N'zonzi or Seri aren't being pursued. Both quality players with buyouts in the mid 30m range. 

15 hours ago, The Fab 4 said:

In case anyone is interested in what The Star are suggesting...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/636420/Chelsea-Transfer-News-Sergi-Roberto-odds-Antonio-Conte-Barcelona-Bookies-Gossip

Our new top target apparently...well for the next 5 minutes anyway

Indeed. Nobody has a clue.

11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Don't like judging players on YouTube clips but I've seem nothing else of him. He looks class, really like the look of him on that clip and others I've watched.

Have been reading a bit about him also and he seems very highly rated, a few  people saying he's perfect and destined  for Barcelona. 

Barca have signed Semedo for the RB position so they're sorted. In fact that probably explains the links to Sergi Roberto.

9 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Maybe that's the plan... Flood the League Cup with youth players, if things go south in the CL then we've got the FA Cup, if we progress in the CL then flood the FA Cup with youth. To be honest the Charity Shield and League Cup is a waste of time nowadays, even the FA Cup is losing its touch - I've always wanted the 4th CL spot to go to the FA Cup winner; now that would make things far more interesting, it's not like the CL is for league winners anymore.

We currently don't really have any youth players available. Don't see the likes of Tomori or Scott starting even the League Cup. Musonda and Christensen are pretty much our only options there. 

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, I'm not so sure. We've been linked in the media with Barkley since the window opened, and yet, reading this, we haven't made a single  bid. No one. And neither has anyone else! Don't you find that strange if he really is such a talent, and a Chelsea/Conte target?

I'm also a bit bemused as to why you think that he'd 'flourish under Conte'? He is what he is (imo, a very limited, low-intelligence player) and if he hasn't shown more flexibility/growth in his game up to now (which really, he hasn't), then I doubt that he's got it in him, tbh. 

Yeah, agree with this, Don't really rate Barkley and it seems like other teams don't either. 

47 minutes ago, synavm said:

The very best now is the Chelsea Pensioner near the main entrance on Fulham Road but before going there you need to go onto the website and simply put your name down as they won't let you in otherwise.  Get there early as it gets busy.