Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

To elaborate on our squad and usability of young players in the lesser cup competitions, let's take a look at our second XI last season (keep in mind this was a squad that was generally considered light):

Begovic; Zouma, JT, Ake; Aina, Cesc, Nate, Kenedy; Willian, Michy, RLC

That's a pretty decent second XI to be honest. Mixture of youth and experience and some good quality. The thought for this season was to replace a few that would be leaving (Costa, JT) and add 3-4 quality players. Unfortunately we've let the likes of Matic, Zouma, JT, Ake, Aina, Nate, Kenedy and RLC go so we're very short. 

Our second XI, for now, is:

Cabellero; Rudiger, Christensen, Nil; Nil, Cesc, Nil, Nil; Willian, Michy, Musonda

So, we're basically 4 short of a usable second XI (CB, RWB, LWB, and CM). I think the 5 CB's we have is adequate so the real pressing requirements are 2 WB's and a CM. Another AM would be a bonus.

So taking that into account, there's hope that we will make the necessary additions and are then able to field a decent second XI when needed. Work to be done but it's still salvageable. 

I think it's pretty clear why no one has bid for Barkley yet.

Its because they want to wait as long as they can to keep the price down. No other reason. It's a tactic both we and Spurs - the two interested clubs - use well. And has nothing to do with his ability whatsoever.

For what it's worth, it's being reported today that Spurs might sell Rose for £50 million and Rose will push for a move here if we make a bid.

We were going to spend £60-65 millon for Sandro, so we'd save some money by going for Rose instead. Only reason I can see why we wouldn't bid is yet more attempts at penny pinching.

You want a top player, you've got to pay, not try to save every pound you can and then lose them to another club.

Negotiate, yes, but don't penny pinch. That's how you lose players to other clubs. 

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

Its because they want to wait as long as they can to keep the price down. No other reason. It's a tactic both we and Spurs - the two interested clubs - use well. And has nothing to do with his ability whatsoever.

For what it's worth, it's being reported today that Spurs might sell Rose for £50 million and Rose will push for a move here if we make a bid.

We were going to spend £60-65 millon for Sandro, so we'd save some money by going for Rose instead. Only reason I can see why we wouldn't bid is yet more attempts at penny pinching.

You want a top player, you've got to pay, not try to save every pound you can and then lose them to another club.

Negotiate, yes, but don't penny pinch. That's how you lose players to other clubs. 

So where Barkely is concerned, we should wait until the last minute to keep the price down BUT..........wait for it....... with Rose we should just steam in with a big offer to avoid losing him to another club?

Perhaps make your mind up, James? 

8 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I share your frustration - but don't quite agree with your thinking.

The problem with this process (as I understand it as an outsider) is that it's not like the standard purchases you and I make.

Players aren't displayed in windows with price tags, there's no 'Buy it Now' price, unless they have an agreed buyout clause.

This means, if you go to Juve and offer £60m for Sandro, they're as likely to say - the price just went up to £70m. What do you do then? Offer that price - they might suddenly say £75. Do you then walk away?

I think it's clearly far more cat and mouse - and probably as much about structuring bids so prices paid increase in line with future performances, success etc.

So, it's not penny-pinching, it's more about avoiding being taken to the cleaners.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps the wrong place to inform you all, but I'm in shock. Horrors: the Fox and Pheasant at Billing Road as been bought by James Blunt after Greene King decided to sell it for redevelopment as new housing. If anyone sings "You're beautiful", I'll not be responsible for my actions. Many's the happy evening I've spent there, pre- and post- match. Anyone know whether it will still be accessible to football fans, or whether it'll join the legions of tarted-up watering holes? Failing all else, it's back to the Finsborough - at least the beer's cheap. Some of it. And they sell quail's egg scotch eggs.

Edited by blue moon

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So where Barkely is concerned, we should wait until the last minute to keep the price down BUT..........wait for it....... with Rose we should just steam in with a big offer to avoid losing him to another club?

Perhaps make your mind up, James? 

They are different players, different circumstances.

Barkley only has a year left on his contract. If he doesn't go this summer, the price will be lower in January and nothing next summer. Hence his price might drop closer to the window.

Rose has a long contract so his value isn't going down if he doesn't move this summer. Hence we may as well go all in now.

It's quite simple really. And logical.

16 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

No, it's because nobody thinks he's worth the fee Everton want or the wages he wants.  If it weren't, he'd be gone by now.  In the same way that if he were that good, someone would've matched Everton's asking price and he'd be lining up for a new club tomorrow.  

11 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

If a club can't justify spending the money, then the player isn't good enough. Barkley isn't good enough for our club, he still needs plenty of game time to even have a chance of becoming a decent player, would you be happy with us dropping one of our AMs to accommodate him? If we needed Barkley, we'd have just kept RLC.

Sandro is worth £65M, Rose isn't worth £50M. I think sometimes we have our rose tinted PL glasses on, Sandro is levels ahead of Rose, but Rose happens to have stood out for Spurs in a great season. I watched Walker play for Man City, and instead of seeing him do anything to justify his price tag I ended up watching Danilo showing Walker how a wingback is supposed to play; Alonso might not have pace or dribbling ability, but he murders Rose in every other department - power, stamina, injury free, consistency, air, tackling, defending, marking, crossing, free kicks, Tactical.

20 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

If a club can't justify spending the money, then the player isn't good enough. Barkley isn't good enough for our club, he still needs plenty of game time to even have a chance of becoming a decent player, would you be happy with us dropping one of our AMs to accommodate him? If we needed Barkley, we'd have just kept RLC.

Sandro is worth £65M, Rose isn't worth £50M. I think sometimes we have our rose tinted PL glasses on, Sandro is levels ahead of Rose, but Rose happens to have stood out for Spurs in a great season. I watched Walker play for Man City, and instead of seeing him do anything to justify his price tag I ended up watching Danilo showing Walker how a wingback is supposed to play; Alonso might not have pace or dribbling ability, but he murders Rose in every other department - power, stamina, injury free, consistency, air, tackling, defending, marking, crossing, free kicks, Tactical.

Yeah I agree, Alonso is a great player whos only real weakness is his pace. It is such a shame and it is one of the reasons I would not be surprised to see him at LCB if we do get a top LWB in. As for transfers coming in I reckon we will see three before the window shuts (I cannot see four now) and they will all be signed in the last 10 days of the window. If I had to guess, I reckon it will be a LWB/RBW, CM and a AM/CF. Hopefully, all will be good players as we need it. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The very best now is the Chelsea Pensioner near the main entrance on Fulham Road but before going there you need to go onto the website and simply put your name down as they won't let you in otherwise.  Get there early as it gets busy. 

Perfect, mate, thanks for the tip. Do people tend to sing up in there?

Edited by synavm