Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, A Blue Essien said:

To elaborate on our squad and usability of young players in the lesser cup competitions, let's take a look at our second XI last season (keep in mind this was a squad that was generally considered light):

Begovic; Zouma, JT, Ake; Aina, Cesc, Nate, Kenedy; Willian, Michy, RLC

That's a pretty decent second XI to be honest. Mixture of youth and experience and some good quality. The thought for this season was to replace a few that would be leaving (Costa, JT) and add 3-4 quality players. Unfortunately we've let the likes of Matic, Zouma, JT, Ake, Aina, Nate, Kenedy and RLC go so we're very short. 

Our second XI, for now, is:

Cabellero; Rudiger, Christensen, Nil; Nil, Cesc, Nil, Nil; Willian, Michy, Musonda

So, we're basically 4 short of a usable second XI (CB, RWB, LWB, and CM). I think the 5 CB's we have is adequate so the real pressing requirements are 2 WB's and a CM. Another AM would be a bonus.

So taking that into account, there's hope that we will make the necessary additions and are then able to field a decent second XI when needed. Work to be done but it's still salvageable. 

Spot on. RWB, LWB, and CM are the three positions we need to strengthen. It has been clear for a long time though, but 100 % agree with your post.

Quite surprised we have not signed any players since Morata 20 days ago, but for sure the club has a plan to secure those three signings. The only question is whether they manage to execute it properly.

Hoping for Sandro, Chamberlain and Drinkwater. Is that really too much to ask for?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, A Blue Essien said:

To elaborate on our squad and usability of young players in the lesser cup competitions, let's take a look at our second XI last season (keep in mind this was a squad that was generally considered light):

Begovic; Zouma, JT, Ake; Aina, Cesc, Nate, Kenedy; Willian, Michy, RLC

That's a pretty decent second XI to be honest. Mixture of youth and experience and some good quality. The thought for this season was to replace a few that would be leaving (Costa, JT) and add 3-4 quality players. Unfortunately we've let the likes of Matic, Zouma, JT, Ake, Aina, Nate, Kenedy and RLC go so we're very short. 

Our second XI, for now, is:

Cabellero; Rudiger, Christensen, Nil; Nil, Cesc, Nil, Nil; Willian, Michy, Musonda

So, we're basically 4 short of a usable second XI (CB, RWB, LWB, and CM). I think the 5 CB's we have is adequate so the real pressing requirements are 2 WB's and a CM. Another AM would be a bonus.

So taking that into account, there's hope that we will make the necessary additions and are then able to field a decent second XI when needed. Work to be done but it's still salvageable. 

Never heard of these four guys called Nil, I hope for their mum's sake they are not quadruplets.

Edited by kratos

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, kratos said:

Never heard of these four guys called Nil, I hope for their mum's sake they are not quadruplets.

Doesn't he play guitar for the E Street Band?

EDIT

Nil+Nil+Nil+Nil = Nils

Edited by Holymoly

13 minutes ago, synavm said:

Perfect, mate, thanks for the tip. Do people tend to sing up in there?

Understatement

Personally I'd like 4 in...to keep costs down I'd go for Jean-Michael Seri, Ricardo Pereira, Ox and an attacker/striker.

But we'll probably end up with Cancelo, Drinkwater and just one more.

If this IS the case, Roman, please make the third man a doozy rather than a dozy!

Posted (edited)

Breaking story - our "big spending" board offered £15 million for Danny Drinkwater earlier in the summer.

It's an insult to be honest. He's a £25-30 million player. The fact we offered only £15 million says everything about our penny pinching board and lack of ambition.

We've spent big money this summer - but somehow our squad is smaller, and despite having a net spend so far of only £19 million and income in the hundreds of millions, we want to scrape and save every penny, offering an insulting amount for a proven PL player.

Yes, maybe start bidding at £20-25 million to negoatiate, but £15 million for him in this market is plain insulting.

If we're offering that little as a serious offer for him, I fear for us this season. If you want big players, pay the freaking money. And we're not. 

If we don't up our game in the next two or three weeks, we'll end up struggling to finish fourth.

Edited by James Prescott

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

EDIT

Nil+Nil+Nil+Nil = Nils

I applaud you sir ;)

17 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

EDIT

Nil+Nil+Nil+Nil = Nils

And apparently he moonlights, singing up in the Chelsea Pensioner....

Altogether now...

Nils up Mother Brown,

Nils up Mother Brown.....😋

Posted (edited)

If we did bid £15m for Drinkwater, it wouldn't have been to buy him at that price, but more to gauge the reaction of Leicester and the player on whether a deal is possible.

As an aside, I can't see us doing any business for another two weeks, but I do think we're going to be in for a busy final 5-6 days. 

Edited by Rob B