Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,293 posts in this topic

Arsenal subs tonight: Walcott, Giroud, Ramsey. 

Our likely subs tomorrow: Musonda, Boga, Christensen, Calibero, Remy, Scott, Timori. 

We have to play Spurs next week. It's really not good at all. We need to sign those 3 players this week if possible, TBH.

Chelsea and Costa will not patch things up. It's breaking this evening Costa has hired a lawyer and is about to take legal action against Chelsea (he's got zero grounds, so not sure why). 

He and his agent were told in January he was leaving in the summer. Chelsea and Conte have both said this multiple times - there's simply no way even Chelsea would tell him he is leaving by text. He's under contract to us so we have every right to allow him to leave on our terms, not his. 

He's trying to force us to sell him to one club and one club alone. He's literally exaggerating the truth and trying to distort facts to get his way. 

I don't care who he is. Honestly, want him nowhere near our football club, not even on the training ground. He can go train on his own for a few months as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how good he is, he's burned his bridges for me. 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

not you. 

Fair play mate, apologies.

7 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Chelsea and Costa will not patch things up. It's breaking this evening Costa has hired a lawyer and is about to take legal action against Chelsea (he's got zero grounds, so not sure why). 

He and his agent were told in January he was leaving in the summer. Chelsea and Conte have both said this multiple times - there's simply no way even Chelsea would tell him he is leaving by text. He's under contract to us so we have every right to allow him to leave on our terms, not his. 

He's trying to force us to sell him to one club and one club alone. He's literally exaggerating the truth and trying to distort facts to get his way. 

I don't care who he is. Honestly, want him nowhere near our football club, not even on the training ground. He can go train on his own for a few months as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how good he is, he's burned his bridges for me. 

I thought the lawyer thing happened last week? We even had a club official, during the pre-Charity Shield press conference, say that the lawyer was wrong as both player and agent had been informed in January that Costa could leave this summer. Has something new happened or have you just forgotten and are repeating yourself?

29 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Er - if he and his agent were told in January that he was leaving in the summer, that sounds to me as though he has been forced out of the club and he and his lawyer have a great deal to present a court with.
Sounds like solid grounds to me for constructive dismissal - contract paid off and a free move away.
I know that sounds very unfair to a lot of people, but if you discount prejudice that Costa must be in the wrong and the Club and manager must be in the right, that does seem accurate to me.

Funny how similar this is to Evagate, except the pre-judgements on character mostly go the other way.

31 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

1.  He's trying to force us to sell him to one club and one club alone.
2.  He's literally exaggerating the truth and trying to distort facts to get his way. 

1.  You mean the quote that he would only go to AM.  That is one way of interpreting it.  Another is that he wants to stay at a club he is loyal to:  Chelsea or AM.  Given what the club is now telling us, the 2nd  interpretation has started to look more likely than the first.

2.  It seems he is saying very very little, exaggerating nothing and distorting nothing - unlike the club which has from the start allowed the press to run with the idea that Costa has demanded an exit.

42 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

He and his agent were told In January he was leaving in the summer. Chelsea and Conte have both said this multiple times -

32 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

as both player and agent had been informed in January that Costa could leave this summer.

"Told he was leaving" and "could leave" are two very different things from the point of view of a constructive dismissal or a claim for an end to contract.  It does seem that a legal case would have a lot to discuss.

Posted (edited)

Are you actually kidding about Costa? Most reports say he asked to leave 3 times last season alone. There's quotes from him saying he wanted to leave to go to Athletico last summer. And quotes from him that he wanted to do it the summer before. 

So there's no way he was forced out against his will. He's trying unsuccessfully to make it look that way, abusing the connection he has with Chelsea fans to make the club look guilty. 

He stopped playing and had a fight with Conte after being linked with China during last season - there's literally a correlation between the link with China and the drop off in form.

He wants out, and Chelsea are rightly done with his flip flopping, changing his mind, openly flirting with Athletico before suddenly re-committing to Chelsea every year.

The idea he is being 'forced out', especially when he wore an Athletico shirt with his name on it whilst still contracted to our club and clearly wants to play for them again (and has since he joined us IMO), is totally laughable, to be honest. It's the story he wants us to believe, but it's not the truth. 

Yes, we told him he could leave this summer in January. Whatever the precise language, that clearly demonstrates he wasn't part of our plans, and he'd know that. To twist this text message into his first information he wasn't wanted is a joke. He's pathetic, and I hope he ends up training on his own for 6 months.

He doesn't have to leave. Chelsea won't sell him for below his value. Chelsea aren't telling him he has to go. But he's not wanted by the first team coach and the club back him on that, and he's not being allowed to the training ground. The club have every right to do that, legally. Chelsea have told him he's free to leave for the right amount.

It's Costa who's acting childishly and blowing this out of proportion, and holding the club to ransom. Not the other way around.

Edited by James Prescott

55 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Are you actually kidding about Costa?

I really don't think we know enough about what actually happened.  

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

"Told he was leaving" and "could leave" are two very different things 

Indeed they are.  And since none of us here were actually present at this meeting to know what was said, that's about where it sits, and should sit. Random speculation as to what may have been said, and by whom, doesn't achieve anything.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I really don't think we know enough about what actually happened.  

Exactly this. If he was warned over his behaviour/he asked to leave, that won't be constructive dismissal, if he was told relatively out of the blue it would be.