Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

This Costa story is surely an old one rehashed: unless he has sacked the lawyer he previously appointed and replaced him.

It's a non-story. If we can believe reports, he asked to leave several times and in January we agreed he could at the enf of the season. His difficulties (to my way of thinking) arise from his insistence on joining a club who 1. Can't afford him and 2. Can't register him for several months.

On the Drinkwater £15m offer - I don't believe it. How and where have the DT suddenly acquired this info? I think it's an attempt to keep alive a story that's gone cold.

If you read 'between the lines' to use a phrase popular on these forums, the meta-narrative is, I think...

We are still looking to sign around 3 players. The press don't have a clue who they are. Our lack of progress leaves us with a young bench against Burnley and has driven quite a few of us who use this forum to high levels of anger and anxiety. Oh, and August weather in London has been disappointing.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Er - if he and his agent were told in January that he was leaving in the summer, that sounds to me as though he has been forced out of the club and he and his lawyer have a great deal to present a court with.
Sounds like solid grounds to me for constructive dismissal - contract paid off and a free move away.
I know that sounds very unfair to a lot of people, but if you discount prejudice that Costa must be in the wrong and the Club and manager must be in the right, that does seem accurate to me.

Pure Speculation, for all we know it may have been the cronies who told him to leave. As you have stated on many occasions Conte is the head coach and not responsible for player recruitment or contract negotiations

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Talk of Joe Allen to Swansea for £20 million. If Drinkwater is going to cost £35 million then I think Allen should be considered as a viable alternative.

Not a great deal of difference between the two of them for me. Drinkwater valuation soared through one great season, Allen has been a steady PL performer for 6/7 seasons now.

Its whether he would be prepared to be a squad player like at Liverpool again, over being a regular at Stoke.

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Indeed they are.  And since none of us here were actually present at this meeting to know what was said, that's about where it sits, and should sit. Random speculation as to what may have been said, and by whom, doesn't achieve anything.

Well to be fair, Chelsea's PR man and manager are on record more than once this summer, as saying he and his agent was told he was out the door this summer in January. So we do know something.

Posted (edited)

Rumours flying around this morning on social media that board aren't willing to overpay for targets and Conte is being told to 'develop the youth' instead. These 'rumours' suggest Roman backs Conte 100% on transfers but board are being difficult and flat out refusing to pay - and if they continue to, and Chelsea buy no one else, and if Conte isn't backed, he'll walk.

I take these with rather large doses of salt - personally I think they're total and utter BS. I dang well hope they are. 

After all, why send all these talented players out on loan if we're not signing anyone?

Still, given the amateur nature of our board, it wouldn't surprise me.

But anyway, probably a load of rubbish.

If not, then we can write off not only the title, but we'll be struggling to make top four and qualify for the knockout stages of the CL. 

I don't trust this board. I don't trust them to make signings before the window shuts. I don't trust them with the future of the football club. I don't trust them to get deals over the line, or trust that they have any knowledge about the realities of football - what's needed in a squad, and willingness to pay the going rate for players. 

Even if we buy four more players this window, I still won't trust them - because to be left in the state we are in on the opening day of the season, with two especially tough games before the window shuts, is just not acceptable.

I just hope this report is BS. 

Edited by James Prescott

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Rumours flying around this morning on social media that board aren't willing to overpay for targets and Conte is being told to 'develop the youth' instead. These 'rumours' suggest Roman backs Conte 100% on transfers but board are being difficult and flat out refusing to pay - and if they continue to, and Chelsea buy no one else, and if Conte isn't backed, he'll walk.

I take these with rather large doses of salt - personally I think they're total and utter BS. I dang well hope they are. 

But these kind of stories do keep coming out sat the moment. Never heard them last year.

Reminds me of Carlo's second year. He was told to develop young players, it didn't work, and we had to overspend in January. And he left the next summer.

Maybe not the Conte walking part, but the rest of that seems to be a leak from the club to try and stop sellers bleeding us dry. Trouble is, from a negotiating perspective, clubs know we're desperate and our season is riding upon making three or four decent signings or not, therefore they're going to rinse us. (That's the trouble with selling 15 players before replacing them!)

Edited by synavm

Haven't you got to have some "youth" left to be able to develop them ? 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well that's it, isn't it? I reckon coming into this window, there would be a strong argument that Ake, Musonda, Baker, Solanke, Christensen, Loftua-Cheek and Chaobah could all do a job for us. We've taken the gamble that we can do better than half of those, and I fear it's going to explode in our faces. Just did a prediction for the season, as things stand, I couldn't put us higher than 6th.

40 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

After all, why send all these talented players out on loan if we're not signing anyone?

Still, given the amateur nature of our board, it wouldn't surprise me.

If not, then we can write off not only the title, but we'll be struggling to make top four and qualify for the knockout stages of the CL. 

I don't trust this board. I don't trust them to make signings before the window shuts. I don't trust them with the future of the football club. I don't trust them to get deals over the line, or trust that they have any knowledge about the realities of football - what's needed in a squad, and willingness to pay the going rate for players. 

Even if we buy four more players this window, I still won't trust them - because to be left in the state we are in on the opening day of the season, with two especially tough games before the window shuts, is just not acceptable.

I just hope this report is BS. 

I think it is BS mate.  The board are there to execute Roman's strategy. If he backs Conte and is prepared to spend money, there's no way in a million years the board would overrule this. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Precisely. 

That's why the story makes no sense. Still, given this board, who knows?