Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,294 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Right now though, we need players. I'd go all out for Rose, Drinkwater and Ox - cover in all three positions we're weak (indeed Ox covers all three positions, CM, RWB and LWB). If we can't get Rose, then get Bertrand. Then maybe go for Llorente as forward cover.

If we got those four now, it would leave us in a much stronger position. Barkley and/or VVD would be a nice bonus, but not priorities.

That's 5-6 new players, James, and another 250 mill of spending on top of the 150 mill we've already spent this summer. Surely we all now that this isn't going to happen? As for the players you've name checked (and keep name checking), I could only see the club  going for Drinkwater, tbh. After that, I'd suggest the they're looking elsewhere - maybe they're still holding out hope for Sandro, or similar? Don't know, but I find the prospect of spending a huge amount of money and ending up with the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Liorente, just too appalling to contemplate.......:).

And yes, I know that we're short on numbers - but surely we need to be buying genuine quality? And tbh, I don't see much of that on your list. Plenty of desperation, but not a lot of inspiration.

If nothing else I see the likes of RLC and Zouma returning back in January if their loans are successful .

7 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Don't want anymore 'the transfer window is still open' crap after today's shambles. 

James, sorry to tell you, but the transfer window is still open..........:).

This, and what happened two years ago, is definitive proof: a team needs to have all or most of their transfers done, and most of their squad for the season together, for at least a week or two before the season starts.

In an ideal world, sure. But it isn't an ideal world for us, or indeed, most other clubs. Would you be happier if you supported Spurs? Maybe Liverpool? Arsenal? I seriously doubt it.

I'm done with this bunch of amateurs holding out till the last minute to save every penny when our net spend is £19 million and we've brought in about £300 million on top of that in sponsorship and prize money. I'm done with them taking ages to do deals which they've had months to do (transfers begin planning in March/April, it's 3 months since last season ended, there've been literally months to get it done - no excuses).

That, of course, is your take on things. It's probably not their's. Or, Roman's. And unlike them, you (and the rest of us) only know what you/we read in the newspapers.

It's no way to run a football club. 

I'd ask Roman how he feels about that, because I seriously doubt that he agrees with you. Just ask yourself this: If the likes of MG, ME and the rest, are so incompetent, season after season - then how come they still have their jobs? Is RA an idiot? Or, are they doing what he wants them to do, the way he wants them to do it? 

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

That's 5-6 new players, James, and another 250 mill of spending on top of the 150 mill we've already spent this summer. Surely we all now that this isn't going to happen? As for the players you've name checked (and keep name checking), I could only see the club  going for Drinkwater, tbh. After that, I'd suggest the they're looking elsewhere - maybe they're still holding out hope for Sandro, or similar? Don't know, but I find the prospect of spending a huge amount of money and ending up with the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Liorente, just too appalling to contemplate.......:).

And yes, I know that we're short on numbers - but surely we need to be buying genuine quality? And tbh, I don't see much of that on your list. Plenty of desperation, but not a lot of inspiration.

We have the money MT, as I've outlined on several occasions. Our net spent currently is only £19 million. 

Buying, say, Drinkwater, Rose and Ox would cost about £120 million. £55 million or so for VVD, £170 million, add another £20 million for Llorente (because I don't care what anyone says, there's simply no way he's worth £30 million and Swansea have never mentioned such a figure for him). So it's another £190-200 million 

Plus the fact we wouldn't have to buy again for a while. I wouldn't see too many more additions needed next summer - in fact with potentially RLC and Tammy Abraham coming back, we might even see a profit next summer.

Not sure what your problem with any of Ox, Barkley or Llorente is. Ox is an excellent young player with bags of potential and at the very least the same level as Moses, possibly an improvement. Sergio Roberto is the alternative there of people we've been linked with and is probably a better player, but doesn't want to leave Barca by all accounts.

Barkley has the potential to be a top player (and I'm far from alone in thinking that). Llorente is a proven PL player, who'd be an excellent squad player for us.

If you think we need genuine quality, I'd genuinely love to hear, of the players we've been linked with, who that would be for you. I think those players would add quality and potential in key positions.

Sandro looks out of the question now, and Rose is one of the best LBs in the league as far as I'm concerned. Bertrand would be another of proven quality in that position. Drinkwater we wouldn't be signing as a first choice anyway, but is a solid PL player. VVD is a world class defender IMO, and a definite upgrade on what we have. 

We need about 4/5 players, including two wing backs and a CM, and have, say £15-170 million to spend on them....so who'd your choices be?

Just because we've sold players for money doesn't necessarily translate into that money being reinvested in full for transfers. There's a very good chance that a figure of some proportion we've made on transfers has been utilised in other areas of the club. Therefore, if that's the case, the money isn't as freely accessible as one might believe - or to the overall amount. 

Also, spending 20, 30, 40m on generally average players isn't sound investment either. A transfer has to have some form of upside beyond just making up numbers. 

4 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

If Roman thinks this is the way to run a football club, and expects us still be to be challenging for the CL and PL, then there's a problem.

For a smart man, it seems he learned nothing from Jose Mourinho or Peter Kenyon in 2004-2006, when we always got our main business done before the season started - and won back to back titles. Indeed we got our business done early in 2009 and 2014, and won the title then. 

I'm all for making a profit and being self-sufficient. But we have the money to spend big without Roman spending any of his own money now - but we're afraid to use it. And we're making the same mistakes as two years ago with the same result. It baffles me how a smart man like Roman (and he clearly is smart), hasn't learned this lesson at all.

It's like Roman forgot what made us successful in the early years, and even only a couple of years ago - and thinks he knows more about how to be successful in football than world class football managers. 

It's baffling, it really is.

Apples and oranges. We were in a completely different market in 2017. We were also a financial powerhouse, that's no longer the case. 

Right. We don't need any more centre backs but we do need a two wingbacks and a centre mid. Too late to recall Loftus cheek ??

Shame we couldn't see more of boga or Musonda to see if theyre genuine 4th wing options or loanees.

Morata is amazing, closest thing to crespos movement weve had since. Needs to get fit. Batshuayi is nothing more than a sub option based on Burnley.

I think both Rudiger and Christensen showed Yesterday that we have massively improved the CB area of the squad, as we now have players outside the first XI that are totally capable of replacing anyone in it. It is the competition for places we don't currently have at wing back and midfield that is costing us, and if we manage to add the 3-4 players we need we will have improved the squad and should be ready to take the next step this season.

7 minutes ago, jones said:

I think both Rudiger and Christensen showed Yesterday that we have massively improved the CB area of the squad, as we now have players outside the first XI that are totally capable of replacing anyone in it. It is the competition for places we don't currently have at wing back and midfield that is costing us, and if we manage to add the 3-4 players we need we will have improved the squad and should be ready to take the next step this season.

Also felt Azpi was really good at RWB and showcased that he's more than capable of providing competition with Moses for the role. 

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Also felt Azpi was really good at RWB and showcased that he's more than capable of providing competition with Moses for the role. 

Think "really good" is an exaggeration. At least relative to the quality we need in that position. Conte commented on who he was going to play when Moses was out, and said he really did not have any options in his squad. Indicates he prefers Azpi at RCB, and that he wants us to buy an RWB. Hopefully, we get an upgrade on Moses.

Edited by jones