Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,294 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

We have the money MT, as I've outlined on several occasions. Our net spent currently is only £19 million. 

Buying, say, Drinkwater, Rose and Ox would cost about £120 million. £55 million or so for VVD, £170 million, add another £20 million for Llorente (because I don't care what anyone says, there's simply no way he's worth £30 million and Swansea have never mentioned such a figure for him). So it's another £190-200 million 

Plus the fact we wouldn't have to buy again for a while. I wouldn't see too many more additions needed next summer - in fact with potentially RLC and Tammy Abraham coming back, we might even see a profit next summer.

Not sure what your problem with any of Ox, Barkley or Llorente is. Ox is an excellent young player with bags of potential and at the very least the same level as Moses, possibly an improvement. Sergio Roberto is the alternative there of people we've been linked with and is probably a better player, but doesn't want to leave Barca by all accounts.

Barkley has the potential to be a top player (and I'm far from alone in thinking that). Llorente is a proven PL player, who'd be an excellent squad player for us.

If you think we need genuine quality, I'd genuinely love to hear, of the players we've been linked with, who that would be for you. I think those players would add quality and potential in key positions.

Sandro looks out of the question now, and Rose is one of the best LBs in the league as far as I'm concerned. Bertrand would be another of proven quality in that position. Drinkwater we wouldn't be signing as a first choice anyway, but is a solid PL player. VVD is a world class defender IMO, and a definite upgrade on what we have. 

We need about 4/5 players, including two wing backs and a CM, and have, say £15-170 million to spend on them....so who'd your choices be?

James - 600 - 700m for the stadium redevelopment is the reason the club cannot spunk money willy nilly

Also I guess the club are smart enough to know that the TV golden egg will not last forever

What's the deal with Baba Rahman? I know he's coming off the back of an injury, but people did suggest he'd be more suited to a wing back role than being an LB in a flat back four.. 

If there's a finite amount of money, then I'd prefer it spent further up the pitch (or on a RWB).

Tottenham linked with Martial.

I think we should have a serious go for him , can play all across the front three, would add much needed goals and must be way down the pecking order at united. 

Him or Mahrez would be my choice for the am position but I'd prefer Martial as he could also cover for Morata.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Tottenham linked with Martial.

I think we should have a serious go for him , can play all across the front three, would add much needed goals and must be way down the pecking order at united. 

Him or Mahrez would be my choice for the am position but I'd prefer Martial as he could also cover for Morata.

I would have tried to engineer a swap deal between him and Matic. 

22 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

What's the deal with Baba Rahman? I know he's coming off the back of an injury, but people did suggest he'd be more suited to a wing back role than being an LB in a flat back four.. 

If there's a finite amount of money, then I'd prefer it spent further up the pitch (or on a RWB).

He's not coming off the back of an injury , he's injured. Out til January apparently.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's not coming off the back of an injury , he's injured. Out til January apparently.

Thanks Mark, well that explains it - I saw Fenerbahce linked a couple of days ago so thought he he must be near full fitness.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

James - 600 - 700m for the stadium redevelopment is the reason the club cannot spunk money willy nilly

Also I guess the club are smart enough to know that the TV golden egg will not last forever

If we get a loan for the stadium that's £500 million, the publicly stated cost of the stadium. This will partly be offset by outside investment and naming rights. 

So say, £400 million. That's £40 million a year for 10 years. Which given we make over £300 million a year right now, is hardly a lot of money off our income. 

There is still a chance of course that Roman may pay or part-pay for the stadium himself. Nothing has been decided or announced publicly yet.

Plus, the average age of key players in our squad now is coming down, so many of them (Kante, Bakayoko, Christensen, Rudiger, Courtois, Morata, Alonso, Musonda, Hazard even) could be here for a while.

Furthermore, we have two players in RLC and Tammy Abraham, who judging even by their performances yesterday are well good enough to come in and be part of our first team in the medium/long term. Not to mention Mason Mount, and a couple of other academy players who will likely be ready within 2-3 years, and save us more money. 

And we have the money now, so spend now on players for the next 5 years. That's why VVD is such a good option. Luiz and Cahill are both over 30 now and will need replacing fairly soon (and frankly, Cahill isn't world class anyway). 

Big, good investment now, plus academy players coming though, means less investment needed in next few years (as in only £100 million a year at most, probably even less than that). 

Not to mention our loan army - who if they don't make it, will bring in plenty of money on player sales anyway. 

So to me the stadium will have minimum impact on us financially, and maybe not even on the pitch.

I think our model is to have stability at board level, with a structure of the football side which isn't dependent on the manager - and as long as the manager is of sufficient quality, it matters less who it is.

We've been the most successful English club since Roman took over despite changing managers more than any top club in England. So the structure works.

I just am frustrated that the people who run the club are making the exact same mistakes as two years ago, if not worse. 

Edited by James Prescott

Paul Hayward on the Sunday supplement says we've done "reasonably well" in the transfer window, and essentially that Conte should shut his cake hole for having the temerity to want more than 8 genuinely usable players in midfield & forward roles. 

Then there's this bizarre notion, touched upon by this prat and numerous other media outlets, that somehow Conte "selecting" that bench was a message to the board. It's mind boggling. He didn't leave a fully fit, 50 time capped superstar in the stands, he didn't banish a ballon d'or winner from the ground, that's all he had available! Makes no sense, and is just a great example of the appalling standards of journalism (or punditry) in this country.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

That's 5-6 new players, James, and another 250 mill of spending on top of the 150 mill we've already spent this summer. Surely we all now that this isn't going to happen?

Yes - and about what we should have done.  Seems too late now.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Also felt Azpi was really good at RWB and showcased that he's more than capable of providing competition with Moses for the role. 

Was he better than Moses - perhaps (but hopefully he is on 4 times the wages).
Certainly Christensen and especially Rudiger were nowhere near as good as Azpi at CB.  And the big Azpi shaped hole yesterday was the CB that pushed into midfield alongside Kante.