Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I don't remember people being too bothered selling to Utd then. In fact many said they would personally drive Matic to Utd for that 40M loose change by his standards.

Not me , I have always rated Matic.. and probably would have been ok had he gone to spain or italy but utd FFS.. what this board does is beyond me.. Cech to Arsenal for 10 mil .. Matic to Utd both areas where they have been struggling for years..

Utd bought and sold schneiderlin,.. tried Bastian Shwein.. tried herrera , blind , fellaini etc.. 

Arsenal had as many keepers... so really defies logic.. especially when no one in this league is ok selling to chelsea be it Arsenal , Spurs Everton.. 

4 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Matic did not play that well under Conte because Conte uses his midfielders as CM's he does not do holding midfielders. Matic plays best when he's a CDM. Its why Conte wants Drinkwater and bought Bakayoko. All of them are CM's.

I agree: Matic lacks the speed and forward running instincts that Conte wants. If they click, I think the Kante, Bakayoko duo will be incredibly powerful and can endure as both players are young.

We need new players and I think we'll get them: not just two arms/two legs but quality. 

Yesterday was the worst possible start, but when I list out our squad and assume the three NEWS are better for our system than Chalobah, Matic and RLC, then I think we'll end up stronger than last season in a few weeks.

Just wait until Bakayoko gets fit, you'll soon see why we got him in to replace Matic.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Matic isn't playing a as DM though , he's been up and down both flanks , there's been a bit of DM type work but far more offensive than how he was used in his last two seasons here. He's been outstanding.

Matic (like Mikel before him) was never originally a defensive midfielder. It was during his time at Benfica that he was 'converted' into a DM, and has been deployed as such more-or-less ever since.

57 minutes ago, Kezza said:

One area they are desperately weak in and we helped them solved it. Easy.

Yep. Precisely. 

I fear we may have helped them to win the title this year. I hope not. 

And look at them - got most of their business done before the PL started, ensured they had a strong squad in depth to begin the season, and what happens?

Take a look Roman, Marina and Emenalo. Watch and flipping learn.

Posted (edited)

Matic wanted to leave Chelsea, I'm pretty sure of that. Conte wanted to keep him, I'm pretty sure of that too (he even said so). But to 'honour his service to the club' we let him have his dream move to a direct rival, and not even Jose could believe it - he said so the other day. 

Well done Roman, instead forcing him to stay whilst under contract, or selling him to Juventus, you give him a dream move to a direct rival, filling a hole they needed to fill, to be a 'nice person'. And now they look a complete team, meanwhile we'll have to play David Luiz in midfield in our next game and have 3 academy players on our bench. 

And clubs know now they can get our best players off us once they get to 29/30. 

Honestly, this board. Bunch of complete amateurs.

Bakayoko might be better, but I'd rather Bakayoko and Matic be competing for a place here, rather than seeing Matic help United to the title. 

Edited by James Prescott

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Matic isn't playing a as DM though , he's been up and down both flanks , there's been a bit of DM type work but far more offensive than how he was used in his last two seasons here. He's been outstanding.

He did play CDM he was always behind Pogba in nearly every situation. He was sweeping up everything too. He would find it hard sweeping things up when we have Kante who does that in both parts of the pitch. Matic is more of a protecter of the back 4. In order to see the best of him he needs to play that sweeping role without having other defensive players around him. It makes him look like a pointless extra body when he has another Defensive player with him. Kante  and Bakayoko suit us better than Matic did. That is why I wanted Matic to go because he is not the CM that Conte wants but selling him to a manager who knows him very well and a title rival? Just bizarre. I did not like selling Cech to Arsenal but this is 10X worse as its a better team and a manager who knows him very well. 

Edited by chelboy
1 person likes this

Dutch media is saying we're trying to gazump Spurs for Davinson Sanchez. Would definitely improve our defence, that's for sure. Quality player. 

(please don't read this as "I think we'll sign him" or "I want us to sign him"). Just reporting back what I just read. Only rumours at this point. 

22 minutes ago, jangz said:

no one in this league is ok selling to chelsea be it Arsenal , Spurs Everton.. 

This is the most galling part of it, indeed all the managers we have helped out with our players are more than happy to stick the knife in that they would never do it at any opportunity.

I really hope that is the last time we sell to a rival. We will be getting stick every weekend for something or other be it Lukaku, Matic, Mourinho, , kdb, Cech, thats before we get to costa every time we struggle to score, pretty unfair on the fans who have to put up with it.

A mate who is an arsenal fan made a good point that it is in fact better value to let Sanchez leave for free next season than sell him for £50m because that gets them f all these days and he is quality. Should have done the same with Matic, is drink water really better and does the extra £15m max help us, certainly doesn't when we have one option at CM currently.

It's not so much that we decided to sell Matic or thought about replacing/upgrading him, it's the fact that we willingly strengthened a title rival - in their problem position - and right in time for the new season too. 

At least string it out to deadline day or get a swap deal out of it (Martial/Shaw).

Meanwhile, here were are, down to the barebones and playing musical chairs against Spurs next week.