• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Kezza   

It will be interesting to hear what the board has to say about this situation and explain to the fans and team. It's time they tell us their part of the story isn't it? I think managers, players and fans are getting disillusioned now. 

45 minutes ago, Kezza said:

It will be interesting to hear what the board has to say about this situation and explain to the fans and team. It's time they tell us their part of the story isn't it? I think managers, players and fans are getting disillusioned now. 

i think that if you're waiting for 'the board' to explain it's actions to the fans, then you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment. There's only one individual that any of them need to explain themselves to - Roman. And as long as he's happy, then everyone else can please themselves.

49 minutes ago, Kezza said:

The words "palpable discord" come to mind :0)

15 hours ago, James Prescott said:

If we get a loan for the stadium that's £500 million, the publicly stated cost of the stadium. This will partly be offset by outside investment and naming rights. 

So say, £400 million. That's £40 million a year for 10 years. Which given we make over £300 million a year right now, is hardly a lot of money off our income. 

FYI

Chelsea FC plc today announced our annual financial results for the year ended 30 June 2016 with the club’s highest turnover figure recorded and a profit of £4.7m before exceptional costs.

The group turnover figure of £329.1m was up five per cent on last year’s figure of £314.3m, generating a £4.7m profit before exceptional costs. The club incurred exceptional costs of £75.3m, a significant part of that as a result of a compensation fee payable for early termination of the club’s contract with adidas, resulting in a net loss for the year of £70.6m after exceptional costs.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Because he's an absolute child at times and has often caused distractions, both on and off the pitch. These distractions are enough to disrupt the harmony and environment within the dressing room and rub off on other players. Once that happens, it can be difficult to instill and maintain a certain standard within the playing group. 

It gets to the point where enough is enough. When you have a player who's pushed to move each of the last few seasons and hardly hidden that fact, coupled with how he's behaved at times - including downing tools for half the season last year that could have easily cost us, the incentive to keep such an individual wains. 

As for his price, that was always in decline because of his insistence of returning to Atletico. His contract situation just compounded that further because there wasn't ever a real chance he was likely going to renew, even if the whole situation this summer didn't unravel like it has. So, that leaves us with a player on a declining contract who wants to play for one club, and one club only. If that club doesn't stump up the money, they'd have just waited and signed him on a free in 18 months time. The club was somewhat screwed irrespective in that regard.

Well that's your opinion, isn't it?

The facts are that Costa scored 20 plus goals in a side that won another league title (the third of his career), and that he was undoubtedly a key player who was quite some distance ahead of the competition for his spot in the starting 11.

Regardless of what your opinions are, the fact is that we now have a player who would be very useful at this point sitting around in Brazil, unfit, contract winding down, only interested in returning to a club who wont buy him - and that is all because of how a certain manager went about his business this summer.

Mind you, Pep did something similar when he got rid of Eto'o and Jose has made moves like that all of his career as well, but it has always been AFTER a plan has been put into place. 

Costa's record last year speaks for itself. It doesn't matter who decides to slag him off now. 

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Of course it's his opinion. Just like this post is your opinion. On a forum of opinions - that's pretty much what we're here for! There are very, very few absolutes.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion: Costa is gone and won't be coming back. And you can find the blame for that wherever you want to look, in small and/or large portions.  And this newspaper article hasn't changed a thing. Imo, we all have a simple question to answer - do you back the player, or back the manager and the club? Up to you.

Holymoly   
8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I wouldn't mind being treated like a criminal if it meant I got paid that much...

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

After having read that, I'm starting to think the truth may not be as clear cut as I first thought...

First of all, if Conte had indeed clearly stated that Costa would be allowed to leave, one would have thought that his agent would have made sure a deal was on the table long before the new season started... 

Secondly, it seems from having read that, that there was never a serious option to go to China. 

Thirdly, it seems that Conte may have based his decision to not wanting Costa on an 'incident where Costa didn't behave in the best way' - apparently being that training ground bust-up. 

It is also worrying to read that as a coach he sees him as a great one, but that as a person he isn't as charming and perhaps being a little bit too much of an 'italian'... 

Considering that we don't have a squad, a player like Costa would have been worth his weight in gold right now. Couple that with Matic being sent packing (massive mistake imo) and Ake and Chalobah being sold, that's four more than able squad players right there. Add RLC and it's almost criminal how we have let this happen. Imagine we could have been in a situation where we 'only' needed another two wing backs to be done with the squad? 

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo

CB: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger, Christensen, Ake

RWB: Moses, New RWB

LWB: Alonso, New LWB

CM: Kanté, Bakayoko, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Loftus-Cheek, Musonda

S: Morata, Costa, Bats

That would have been a proper squad and far from unrealistic... Yet we find ourselves in this situation. Hard to grasp how we can be so incompetent really.  

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I think that if you're waiting for 'the board' to explain it's actions to the fans, then you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment. There's only one individual that any of them need to explain themselves to - Roman. And as long as he's happy, then everyone else can please themselves.

Seems like the board has done nothing but sitting around 'pleasing' themselves all summer. 

4 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

FYI

Chelsea FC plc today announced our annual financial results for the year ended 30 June 2016 with the club’s highest turnover figure recorded and a profit of £4.7m before exceptional costs.

The group turnover figure of £329.1m was up five per cent on last year’s figure of £314.3m, generating a £4.7m profit before exceptional costs. The club incurred exceptional costs of £75.3m, a significant part of that as a result of a compensation fee payable for early termination of the club’s contract with adidas, resulting in a net loss for the year of £70.6m after exceptional costs.

How we can make such a small profit despite not spending much on players for a decade now is mind-blowing. The exceptional costs could have been higher had José not declined his pay-out... Too bad the club didn't follow his instructions to re-invest it in the team. 

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The facts are that Costa scored 20 plus goals in a side that won another league title (the third of his career), and that he was undoubtedly a key player who was quite some distance ahead of the competition for his spot in the starting 11.

Regardless of what your opinions are, the fact is that we now have a player who would be very useful at this point sitting around in Brazil, unfit, contract winding down, only interested in returning to a club who wont buy him - and that is all because of how a certain manager went about his business this summer.

Mind you, Pep did something similar when he got rid of Eto'o and Jose has made moves like that all of his career as well, but it has always been AFTER a plan has been put into place. 

Costa's record last year speaks for itself. It doesn't matter who decides to slag him off now. 

Sure, no one in their right mind can question how important Costa has been to us. 

It's a shame the situation has been allowed to escalate like this. 

16 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Of course it's his opinion. Just like this post is your opinion. On a forum of opinions - that's pretty much what we're here for! There are very, very few absolutes.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion: Costa is gone and won't be coming back. And you can find the blame for that wherever you want to look, in small and/or large portions.  And this newspaper article hasn't changed a thing. Imo, we all have a simple question to answer - do you back the player, or back the manager and the club? Up to you.

Not sure it is that easy to be honest. Having thoight about this for a while, yes Costa is a man child, yes he's repeatedly said he wants to go back to A Madrid, yes he can be a liability, but he was a damn good striker and scored a **** load of goals for us. 

Who's responsible for this isn't a very clear-cut choice. Backing the club is certainly one way to go, but that doesn't mean the club is in the right on this one. 

If Costa is telling anything that resembles the truth, then what Conte has done is inexcusable and Costa has a very good reason to be upset. If this goes to court, I'd imagine that the club has to show material proof that Costa asked to leave and that the club granted that wish back in January. If we can't do that, I can't see how we can come out of this with any sort of dignity.  

It's a truly amazing  article , I for one , cannot get with the idea that Conte a man dripping with professionalism throughout his career , would suddenly jeopardise everything he stands for by just "winging it" with a text message , it just stinks.

The fact that those banging the drum for Costa are the same newspaper at the front of the "Dirty Diego" campaign to rid the Premier League of a desperately thuggish player just make the whole sorry spectacle even more ludicrous.

I like Costa , I wish he'd not wanted to leave for Athletic Madrid ( three times )  and would love it if somehow we could all patch things up but I also like Conte and am bemused by the whole negativity radiating from within the club (players not liking being shouted at FFS)

I think we'd best start getting used to the idea of a wafer thin squad and a faceless drone in charge as soon as they can find someone with no demands and happy to be in a job , that is seemingly what the hierarchy at the club want. That and trophies.

Edited by Mark Kelly