• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

jones   
15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The fact that those banging the drum for Costa are the same newspaper at the front of the "Dirty Diego" campaign to rid the Premier League of a desperately thuggish player just make the whole sorry spectacle even more ludicrous.

Yeah. Funny how criminal Diego suddenly was made out to be the victim here. 

Zoowraa   

I don't know if I am missing something with the Costa story or not.

Anyone who has read my posts on here know that I am a massive Costa fan and I think this whole episode in getting ride/or letting him go (whichever angle we take) is a big mistake.

However, I don't really get why its still being reported/talked about it. Sure we don't know the full details, but a decision has been taken here and I think all parties don't come out of this looking that good.

A few people of here have mentioned court, but people get moved out of business all the time and I just cannot see any scenario where this would come to court and have any weight. Even if we take Diego at full face value ( likely the most accurate account imo) then the reality is the club/manager don't want him and will be doing a deal to move him on. I don't see any grounds for unfair dismissal, the management has decided they don't want him, they are paying him and we can only presume they are trying to do a deal that gets him out of the club.

This scenario must happen at football clubs every year, the detail/context may be slightly different in this scenario, but its a player the club are trying to force out and its their decision to do that as the employers. Same with the text message, its not the right way to do things and looks bad, but thats it. A manager took a decision, question his professionalism and way he handled it, but he is your manager and can make/take that decision.

I wish it hadn't come to this and wish everything was amicable and we were playing him, but I cannot see where Costa and his camp are coming from really. Just get on and accept it and prove to everyone it was a bad decision (I'm sure he will)

Edited by Zoowraa

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not sure it is that easy to be honest. Having thoight about this for a while, yes Costa is a man child, yes he's repeatedly said he wants to go back to A Madrid, yes he can be a liability, but he was a damn good striker and scored a **** load of goals for us. 

The question then comes down to how much sh*t you put up with from the player, for the goal return? To me, Costa had used up most (if not all) of his goodwill. So, we let him go back to where he's always said he wants to be. Seems totally fair. 

Who's responsible for this isn't a very clear-cut choice. Backing the club is certainly one way to go, but that doesn't mean the club is in the right on this one. 

Imo, backing the club and manager is the ONLY way to go in these circumstances. But then in saying that, I don't really expect some here to agree.

If Costa is telling anything that resembles the truth, then what Conte has done is inexcusable and Costa has a very good reason to be upset.

Big 'IF', Dave. Doesn't sound much like the Conte I've been watching, but it all sounds a shell of a lot like Costa.

If this goes to court,

I'd almost bet money that it won't get anywhere near a courtroom - they've had months and months (since January) to get the dispute into court, but strangely they haven't done so. I wonder why?

Conte doesn't want Costa and it really doesn't matter why. If it his attitude, his ability, his behaviour, something's happened between the two or something else it just doesn't matter.

Our manager doesn't want a player, end of. The reasoning is irrelevant. Everything that Costa has done this summer to try and force a move, and that interview in the daily mail, sums up why I'm falling out of love with football.

Poor multi million pound prima donna footballer isn't wanted anymore. So what? Since when did players who are no longer wanted get to behave like him.? We don't want him, he doesn't want to stay,  and we will happily sell him yet he chooses not to leave to anyone other than a club that can't but players. In the meantime he's  living the high life in Brazil and once again is completely out of shape,whilst getting paid a small fortune.

All this whilst acting the victim as if he is completely innocent and has been a model professional during his time here and none of its his fault.

I LOVED him and have defended him 100% since he has been here but he has seriously let himself down over this and the sooner he leaves my club the better. The bloke is a complete and utter dick

Edited by Martin1905

6 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

1. The question then comes down to how much sh*t you put up with from the player, for the goal return? To me, Costa had used up most (if not all) of his goodwill. So, we let him go back to where he's always said he wants to be. Seems totally fair. 

2. Imo, backing the club and manager is the ONLY way to go in these circumstances. But then in saying that, I don't really expect some here to agree.

3. Big 'IF', Dave. Doesn't sound much like the Conte I've been watching, but it all sounds a shell of a lot like Costa.

4. I'd almost bet money that it won't get anywhere near a courtroom - they've had months and months (since January) to get the dispute into court, but strangely they haven't done so. I wonder why?

1. Sure. 

2. Absolutely not. If the club has done something wrong than they have done something wrong. Evagate is a nice reminder to some members on here. How did you act during that time? Which side did you take then? The clubs or Eva's?

3. No bigger IF then the alternative. None of us can know for sure - that's my point. 

4. Maybe they haven't had months and months to take this to court? If Costa was told in June over an sms it would be hard to take the club to court in January. I don't think this will go to court either, but no matter what Conte has ****ed up monumentally and shaved off at least £25m off any fee we could have gotten for Costa. Worst case scenario we may have to let him go for free. 

17 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. Sure. 

2. Absolutely not. If the club has done something wrong than they have done something wrong. Evagate is a nice reminder to some members on here. How did you act during that time? Which side did you take then? The clubs or Eva's?

What have the club done wrong? 

17 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

3. No bigger IF then the alternative. None of us can know for sure - that's my point. 

4. Maybe they haven't had months and months to take this to court? If Costa was told in June over an sms it would be hard to take the club to court in January. I don't think this will go to court either, but no matter what Conte has ****ed up monumentally and shaved off at least £25m off any fee we could have gotten for Costa. Worst case scenario we may have to let him go for free. 

What has Conte done wrong?

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

What have the club done wrong? 

What has Conte done wrong?

There's a lot of different scenarios one can draw up for both sides. 

I'll state this again, bottom-line is that none of us know. What we do know, is that this has been managed horribly bad either case. 

BlueFizz   

Boys, oh boys...

Costa - told by club he can leave at end of season after asking to leave, discovers Athleti can't afford him - kicks up a fuss in hope we get sick of him and move him of the books cheap.

Squad - three promising signings so far - Morata, Bakayoko, Rudiger - plus Christianson looking battle hardened.

Why is it taking so long to add more, which we do need?

For the blindingly obvious reason that: we want to strengthen and add quality in depth not simply add numbers - good players at our level of aspiration are hard to find and prise away.

Yes, I wish they'd all arrived earlier. And yes, I wonder at the decisions to let players go - BUT UNLIKE SOME - I choose to believe this reflects the club's confidence in its progress towards better signings, not a strategy to shrink our squad to ineffective levels long-term.

Finally, on Matic - given Jose gleeful post-match interview my hunch is that Matic did a bit of 'a Costa' and we decide to remove the rot.

I've never heard a top coach who didn't agree - if a player doesn't want to be in the club, get him out!

Edited by BlueFizz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Yes, I wish they'd all arrived earlier. And yes, I wonder at the decisions to let players go - BUT UNLIKE SOME - I choose to believe this reflects the club's progress towards better signings, not a strategy to shrink our squad to ineffective levels long-term.

We all know it's because you fancy a run out at the weekend.

He said: “My desire is to go to Atletico. I have rejected other offers. They want to sell me to China or other teams. If I’m off, I’m going to the club I want to go to, not the club that’s paying the most.

He's calling all the shots and we're the ones in the wrong?