• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Are you seriously asking me to describe why this has been handled badly? 

Ok how about this, if Costa was told he could leave in January how is it possible we find ourselves in this situation? Costa doesn't have a new club, he's in Brazil and giving interviews that makes our club look like its run by a bunch of clowns. 

If Costa wasn't told he would be let go in January, but told via text message in June. Don't think I have to explain why that scenario would be bad. 

It has possibly been handled badly , possibly.

But what if , as the club have stated Costa knew he was leaving in January and we got right on it working out an exit strategy to Athletic Madrid where as in the quote above he has demanded a move to and then suddenly AM get a transfer ban ? 

Were we to second guess the dodgy machinations behind the scenes at both the club who actively wanted Costa and UEFA ? .

If anyone is the victim here its not Costa .

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

1. Because he is refusing to leave unless it's to one club that will not pay the asking price?

2. Says who, Costa? 

1. How can we tell a player he can leave without knowing we can sell him? A player that has been one of our best players over the last three seasons nonetheless. 

2. Come on. I gave you two scenarios and demonstrated how both showed that the club has handled this badly. We still don't know what has happened - either of us - do we? 

So to conclude. If we told Costa he could leave in January without knowing we could offload him at an acceptable price to a club Costa would accept we've handled this badly. Alternatively, if we didn't tell Costa he could leave in January but rather through a text message in June we have handled this badly. 

I'm not stating which scenario is the most likely or which one actually happened. I'm offering my view on why this has been handled badly regardless of which of the scenarios actually did happen. Ok? 

BlueFizz   
6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. How can we tell a player he can leave without knowing we can sell him? A player that has been one of our best players over the last three seasons nonetheless. 

2. Come on. I gave you two scenarios and demonstrated how both showed that the club has handled this badly. We still don't know what has happened - either of us - do we? 

So to conclude. If we told Costa he could leave in January without knowing we could offload him at an acceptable price to a club Costa would accept we've handled this badly. Alternatively, if we didn't tell Costa he could leave in January but rather through a text message in June we have handled this badly. 

I'm not stating which scenario is the most likely or which one actually happened. I'm offering my view on why this has been handled badly regardless of which of the scenarios actually did happen. Ok? 

Is anyone saying it hasn't been handled badly?

Clearly it's become a PR disaster and cost for CFC, as I'm sure Diego's weekly fine doesn't cover his salary. We have an asset we can't use.

Do I think it will reach litigation, no. I think he'll slide quietly into Madrid for an undisclosed fee, if he doesn' die in a pet-related quad bike instagram photo-shoot accident first.

Edited by BlueFizz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Are you seriously asking me to describe why this has been handled badly? 

Ok how about this, if Costa was told he could leave in January how is it possible we find ourselves in this situation? Costa doesn't have a new club, he's in Brazil and giving interviews that makes our club look like its run by a bunch of clowns. 

If Costa wasn't told he would be let go in January, but told via text message in June. Don't think I have to explain why that scenario would be bad. 

Simple answer, really... Costa ONLY wants to go to AM. He himself has said so in that interview, further saying that he has turned down other offers. AM are not only unwilling to pay a price we find acceptable, but are also subject of a FIFA ban stopping them from registering new players until January.  The club could accept dozens of offers from other clubs, but unless the player ALSO accepts those offers, we have the stalemate we currently find ourselves in.

What I find 'interesting' is that, other than the one incident in January, that no doubt led to the club/manager informing the player and his agent that Costa could leave this summer, everything was calm until a few days after it was confirmed, by the CAS, that AM's ban in registering new players would be upheld. Until then, there was always a glimmer of hope for Costa that he could move back to Spain. Once the ban was upheld, and he realised he wouldn't be able to move back, that's when Costa came out with the text message story.

5 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Is anyone saying it hasn't been handled badly?

Yes?

Martin1905 seems to think we haven't handled this badly. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Simple answer, really... Costa ONLY wants to go to AM. He himself has said so in that interview, further saying that he has turned down other offers. AM are not only unwilling to pay a price we find acceptable, but are also subject of a FIFA ban stopping them from registering new players until January.  The club could accept dozens of offers from other clubs, but unless the player ALSO accepts those offers, we have the stalemate we currently find ourselves in.

What I find 'interesting' is that, other than the one incident in January, that no doubt led to the club/manager informing the player and his agent that Costa could leave this summer, everything was calm until a few days after it was confirmed, by the CAS, that AM's ban in registering new players would be upheld. Until then, there was always a glimmer of hope for Costa that he could move back to Spain. Once the ban was upheld, and he realised he wouldn't be able to move back, that's when Costa came out with the text message story.

What club Costa wants to move to surely has to be his choice? After all, it's not slave trade we're dealing with here. 

Besides, it can hardly come as a surprise to us that he wanted to move to AM and if it is a surprise then the club has done a great impression of an ostrich. 

I will give you that there's certainly a possibility that Costa made up the text message story after learning that CAS had upheld their transfer ban. But then again, if that message wasn't sent he's certainly putting himself in a tricky situation especially since he claims he still has that yet message on his phone... I deem it as highly unlikely that Conte did not send the text message. The question mark here is whether he was told he could leave in June or not. Costa claims he wasn't, Conte claims he was. 

But even with the transfer ban being upheld, surely by the time this happened in January everyone knew AM ran a serious risk of not being able to register new players. In business you always work after the worst case (plausible) scenario. The ban being upheld can hardly come as a surprise as there was already a precedent set with Barca. 

Regardless of what went down, we have told a player he can leave without knowing we had a buyer who were willing to meet our valuation. Also - only a fool would expect that the value of Costa would remain unchanged after we have made it clear he wasn't in our plans. So if we expect AM to pay a fee similar to what we'd accept should we have wanted Costa to stay makes us absolutely deluded. Of course the value plummets immediately once this is known. 

cii99mn1   

This is turning into the Costa thread. Here's my two cents: A fairly successful ManU manager often talked about the importance of being in command of the dressing room. If any player suddenly thought his opinion was more important than the manager's or didn't buy into the methods he was off. One can quite easily see Costa having some troubles with Contes pretty strict regime for example or behave in a way that isn't as professional as I imagine Conte demands (as reports of a training ground bust up would suggest). And then you can decide to get rid of a player even if he's of great quality - because he affects the whole group and potentially undermines the work of the manager. And if he's such a good player and a hard working professional then there can't hardly be any problem getting rid of him, can it? Clubs would queue up, wouldn't they?

How the club and manager then decide to arrange the sale we can only speculate about. (I personally find it very hard to believe both management and player and agent got the news of Conte's plans from the text to the player. And if the club management knew the wheels would already have been put in motion.) And that's another matter, I barely wanted to point out that players get moved on, even important players. 

cii99mn1   

As for transfers this club is pretty awesome at keeping the lid on any negotiations. Or simply very lazy and not working at that many at all. 

GURJ SS   

We all know there's too much player power nowadays, and our club has decided that it won't fold under pressure from a man child; there is no good way of handling it and even though I'm far from happy with the way the club are conducting business(or should I say lack of business), they're right with putting Costa in his place.