• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

jangz   
45 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

And finally, some good news. Standard reporting we're closing in on signing Ox for £35 million. Would be really pleased if this comes off.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-closing-in-on-35m-alex-oxladechamberlain-as-reluctant-arsene-wenger-considers-sale-a3610941.html

Went through the article.. nothing but media blabbering. Talks about Arsenal's need to sell since his contract is running out and he is not first choice. Unfortunately the language used and the lack of timeliness makes me skeptical of this :( ..

jones   

Selling Oxlade-Chamberlain to us would be just as dumb as us selling Matic to United. 

No need to rule it out then.

Wenger has Ozil, Sanchez and Ox on outgoing contracts and neither will renew. He is an economics professor. They were bought for close to 100mp. It would make his professor heart bleed massively if he let all those players leave on a free. Makes sense to cash in on the most dispensable player of the three, doesn't it?

Edited by jones

GURJ SS   
43 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

And finally, some good news. Standard reporting we're closing in on signing Ox for £35 million. Would be really pleased if this comes off.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-closing-in-on-35m-alex-oxladechamberlain-as-reluctant-arsene-wenger-considers-sale-a3610941.html

We need players who will make the first XI stronger, both Moses and Alonso are better wingbacks than Chamberlain, and if he can't get past Xaka and Coqulien for central mid, then he's got no chance here.

Sergi is a much better player and would be able to take the RWB role and also possibly a CM role, not as a backup but genuine competition. 

jones   

I personally think Ox has all the qualities to be a better wing back than Moses. Improves our first XI.

Edited by jones

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It has possibly been handled badly , possibly.

But what if , as the club have stated Costa knew he was leaving in January and we got right on it working out an exit strategy to Athletic Madrid where as in the quote above he has demanded a move to and then suddenly AM get a transfer ban ? 

Were we to second guess the dodgy machinations behind the scenes at both the club who actively wanted Costa and UEFA ? .

If anyone is the victim here its not Costa .

The club would have known about any potential transfer ban when they alledgedly told Costa in January that he could leave this summer. 

It (the transfer ban) was upheld on May 30/June 1 but that should not have been surprising in the slightest as there was already a precedent set with Barcelona. 

1 hour ago, jangz said:

Costa is responsible for this, he is holding out for one club.. how can chelsea force a player to sign a contract with some other club? The problem is compounded by the fact that Athletico has a transfer ban and honestly not sure how "badly" they want him now. 

So many players get told that they aren't in the manager's plans not all throw such a huge stromp! I am with Conte on this.

I fail to see how Costa is responsible for this or that you can state that with any degree of certainty. 

The problem in this situation arises from the fact that Costa only wants back to A Madrid which should come as no surprise to the club. Even if Costa mouthed off to a fitness coach back in January, you'd have to wonder whether that was enough to dispose one of your best players over such a small thing. He took his punishment, didn't complain and came back and still gave 100% every time he took to the field. 

Now as I have stated on many occassions already, none of us really knows what has happened here. I do however see a lot of people automatically assuming that it's Costa who's in the wrong here. But as I see it there are two situations to consider;

1. the reason for Conte telling Costa (either in january or in june) that he wasn't wanted

2. Our star striker sitting in Brazil with no deal done for him

We can blame Costa all we want for number 1 (and probably with a little bit more certainty), but there's only one entity to blame for number 2 - Chelsea FC. 

1 hour ago, Vinod said:

This is ridiculous. I see absolutely no fault in how the club has dealt. 

No, the club cannot unilaterally dictate where the player goes. Equally, it is the players responsibility to do what he is being paid to do. Costa is on a contract and he needs to respect that. 

He has behaved like a proper a**hole. He either has idiots advising him or being an idiot himself. He is clearly throwing tantrums. For once, I am glad the coach is standing up and the club is backing the coach. Costa has no case. If anything, the club is the victim and could plausibly claim punitive damages. By not turning up for training, Costa has breached the contract. He is on record saying that he wanted to go to Atletico last summer, the coach got angry and he had to come back with his tail between his legs. And finally, by giving this interview to the Mail he has behaved in the most ungentlemanly fashion an employee possibly could. It's one thing you throw accusations when you have left an establishment; completely different when you are still on the rolls. 

Great player. Great charisma on the field. Dirty little p***k off it. Doesn't have he maturity or the testicles to keep his end of the bargain.

I really don't see how what I wrote can be labelled 'ridiculous'. Especially since none of us actually knows what has happened.

Yes you are right that the club can't force Costa to move to a club he doesn't want to move to. The club ought to have known, as we all did know, that he only wanted AM. The player is responsible to do what he is paid to do, but the club won't let him do what he is paid to do and instead are trying to force him to train with whatever reserve team we have left at Cobham. 

I wonder who's in breach of contract here really - for me that would be enough grounds for contructive dismissal by the club. 

Costa has no case? No perhaps not, but neither does the club. The only thing the club can do now is to sort out a deal that takes Costa to A Madrid. So far we have not been successful with that - I.e. we have handled this situation badly. So unless we knew there was a definite deal to be had with A Madrid, Costa is just another asset we have made unuable for the season ahead for little reason. 

In the end I wouldn't be surprised if we are forced to let Costa go there on a free. There's only one party to blame for that and it isn't Costa.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Actually I never commented on whether it was right or wrong for the club to expect him to go to wherever they could sell him. I merely pointed out the 'facts' (or as close to them as we'll ever know) that Costa only wants to go to AM. That was a direct reply to your question. You are the one reading things in peoples' replies (not just me then, but over many years) and then attempting to start arguments... you and Droy are very much alike in that regard.

You didn't point out any facts, you offered your interpretation of what you think you know. As we all do. 

I am not attempting to start an argument, I'm attempting to have a discussion on the topic that's being covered - you know as you would do on a forum. You however are, as you always do, trying to make this into a personal thing. Grow up, seriously. If you are unable to do so, stop responding to my posts. End of story really.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Train with the reserves.

The amount we have left they're probably only playing three and in or headers and volleys , there's not enough of them left to play five a side.

Quite. 

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Sky Sports saying Costa has wanted to leave Chelsea for Athletico since 2015, and asked to leave every year since then (and to be fair, there's quotes to back this up from Costa himself over the last few years), so it's unclear why he's saying he wanted to stay. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/22/diego-costa-says-wanted-leave-chelsea-atletico-madrid-last-summer/

In this interview from December time there's a quote from Costa saying this:

On Conte's first day, I told him that I wanted to join Atlético and he was upset with me and didn't even look at me. Luckily, I started to score goals.”

In this interview he says this:

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2015-2016/diego-costa-I-wanted-to-leave-chelsea-for-atletico-madrid_sto5809672/story.shtml

"I hope Atlético do well this season like last year and win titles. I wanted to go back, I won’t lie about it.

So don't give me any rubbish that he wanted to stay at Chelsea and suddenly loves the club and wants to stay. It's a pack of lies. He's wanted to go for a while, and by his own admission wanted to go last summer. (he even said he told Conte on his first day he wanted to go and it made Conte angry - is it any wonder Conte has no time for him?).

It is well documented that Costa has wanted a move back to A Madrid for a while citing various reasons - unfair press, refs targeting him, problem adjusting to the country/language etc. 

This is the fact that makes me maintain the club has handled this as the bunch of amateurs they are. We knew he wanted AM, we knew he was unlikely to move anywhere else.

How we, with only two weeks to go of the window, find ourselves in this situation is mindblowing. If we told him back in January he can leave, then it is our responsibility to make sure there is a deal on the table. It's not Costas responsibility to find a club that wants him. Neither is it particularly wise to think he'll comply with some bullshit demand he has to come back to train with the reserves. He's a world class player, it's simply degrading to force a player to do that.

We should act honourably and let him leave to the club he wants to go to if we do not want to keep him ourselves.

Edited by Sleeping Dave

Dingus   
5 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It is well documented that Costa has wanted a move back to A Madrid for a while citing various reasons - unfair press, refs targeting him, problem adjusting to the country/language etc. 

This is the fact that makes me maintain the club has handled this as the bunch of amateurs they are. We knew he wanted AM, we knew he was unlikely to move anywhere else.

How we, with only two weeks to go of the window, find ourselves in this situation is mindblowing. If we told him back in January he can leave, then it is our responsibility to make sure there a deal is on the table. It's not Costas responsibility to find a club that wants him. Neithe ris it particularly wise to think he'll comply with some bullshit notion he has to come back to train with the reserves. He's a world class player, it's simply degrading to force a player to do that. Be men and let him leave to the club he wants to go to if we do not want to keep him.

Come on now, you're not going to force a player to join a club they don't want to go to.

I'm pretty sure there was a deal on the table - Atletico. The issue is that Costa was banking on Atletico overturning the transfer ban. If it was overturned he'd be there already and I'd probably say that the whole text fiasco would never have come to surface.

And because it wasn't, the only club he wants to sign for can't until January and want to offer us a lower amount for him than we're willing to accept.

Would you be ok with Costa leaving for £20m? I wouldn't.

Do you honestly think the club wants this situation rolling on? I don't.

Chelsea haven't dealt with this situation well I think we all can agree with that but I honestly don't know what else the club are expected to do here bar keep their stance.

Kezza   

Can we have these Costa allegations in the Costa thread?

32 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

We need players who will make the first XI stronger, both Moses and Alonso are better wingbacks than Chamberlain, and if he can't get past Xaka and Coqulien for central mid, then he's got no chance here.

He'd be a better option than Boga or Musonda for a start.

6 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Come on now, you're not going to force a player to join a club they don't want to go to.

I'm pretty sure there was a deal on the table - Atletico. The issue is that Costa was banking on Atletico overturning the transfer ban. If it was overturned he'd be there already and I'd probably say that the whole text fiasco would never have come to surface.

And because it wasn't, the only club he wants to sign for can't until January and want to offer us a lower amount for him than we're willing to accept.

Would you be ok with Costa leaving for £20m? I wouldn't.

Do you honestly think the club wants this situation rolling on? I don't.

Chelsea haven't dealt with this situation well I think we all can agree with that but I honestly don't know what else the club are expected to do here bar keep their stance.

Er, that's exactly what I am saying - we can't force him to go elsewhere.

We knew he only wanted A Madrid.

We knew they would suffer a transfer ban - that was known and one appeal had already been turned down and there was a precedent set with Barca.

We knew all of this and yet no deal has been made... And by the way, A Madrid does not have a transfer ban, they have a registration ban. What that means is that they are free to buy as many players as they want, but can only register them for competitive games in January 2018. So there is no reason to why A Madrid can't buy players now - they can.   

synavm   

Ox would be a superb and versatile player for us. An absolute standout at Arsenal. Very keen we get him signed up and keen that we do it quickly. 

Edited by synavm