• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This is the only plausible solution at this point in time. 

Accept whatever offer AM puts on the table and be done with it. Every day that passes is basically yet another day the club will look bad.

Atletico aren't desperate to sign him this window, if he is refusing to train it costs us nothing to hold out until January when they will become keener. Even then the longer we wait until 31st January the more desperate Costa gets with it being a World Cup year, I think he would even sign for another team. I would call his bluff up until the last second and then accept the £26m if we absolutely have no other option, they may even have increased their bid by then.

3 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Considering his experience yes, but that's about it. Boga and Musonda are both great talents and can't be compared to Oxlade, because they haven't had the same chances as him. Actually Oxlade is very similar to Barkley, both have been given incredible amounts of chances and patience, but are just average gap fillers.

I disagree with this quite strongly. Barkley I agree is over hyped and not very good whilst I think Ox has always been an excellent talent who made big strides last season. I have always thought he was used poorly and Wengers style does not tend to maximise potential.

If you watched much of him last season you would have seen he is tailor made for RWB and has many similar qualities to Moses. Where he is considerably more effective is his crossing and passing ability and at 23 he still had room to grow. Whereas Barkley seems to have a lack of footballing intelligence with his constant poor decision making, Ox has shown he can perform with discipline in an unfamiliar role. 

Wenger has not improved young players for a long time and fortunately he is still young enough that someone like Conte can stamp the Arsenal mentality out of him. Last season he displaced the highly rated Bellerin and many Arsenal fans have been saying he's been their best player since they switched to 3 at the back. Still a big chance Wenger will refuse the sale but it does seem more believable with a rumoured £35mill on the table and 1 year left on his deal. Final added bonuses are that he is HG and can cover three positions. 

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I should perhaps add that I watched the game on TV. It certainly seemed like there was a chorus of "are you watching Abramovic". It is however quite hard to grasp where it comes from when you watch on TV. 

Did anyone who was at the game hear it? There's of course a rathe rbig chance that I misheard it and the fans sang something else completely. 

Didn't hear that. 

10 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I think we're seriously interested. There's reports this morning that the Paulinho deal has cemented his desire to leave, and we're one of the clubs interested.

He can play DM, RW and RWB. So to get him, Ox and a LWB (Rose or Bertrand I suspect) would make a huge difference to us. 

I thought Sergi Roberto was a left sided player. Happy to be corrected by someone who knows........

Edit - wikipedia suggests he plays on the right

Edited by paulw66

13 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I should perhaps add that I watched the game on TV. It certainly seemed like there was a chorus of "are you watching Abramovic". It is however quite hard to grasp where it comes from when you watch on TV. 

Did anyone who was at the game hear it? There's of course a rathe rbig chance that I misheard it and the fans sang something else completely. 

I certainly didn't hear anything like that from the MHL. Perhaps could have come from the Burnley end as I couldn't really make out any of their songs. 

Zoowraa   
1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

We need players who will make the first XI stronger, both Moses and Alonso are better wingbacks than Chamberlain, and if he can't get past Xaka and Coqulien for central mid, then he's got no chance here.

Sergi is a much better player and would be able to take the RWB role and also possibly a CM role, not as a backup but genuine competition. 

I think he potentially does make it stronger. He has looked pretty decent playing at wing back and switching to his natural right hand side should only improve him further. I think its a signing that makes perfect common sense, not only is he English and still young and has improvement to come, he has potential to improve us at RWB and fill in at LWB if required. Whilst also being a potential option in central midfield should we ever need him there.

I would not judge him too much on what he has achieved at Arsenal, I have huge respect for Wenger and can't help but like the guy, but has he really improved many Arsenal players in the last few years ?? I can't think of too many, they tend to remain pretty static or go backwards. The Ox, Ramsay, Walcott, Bellerin,Gibbs, Gnabry etc have all looked potential superstars at early points in their careers at Arsenal........difficult to say any of them have trained on since they first appeared in Arsenal colours.....maybe with exception of Ramsay, but I would still say he has slightly underachieved. 

1 minute ago, samhoward17 said:

I certainly didn't hear anything like that from the MHL. Perhaps could have come from the Burnley end as I couldn't really make out any of their songs. 

I don't blame you;) 

Zoowraa   
7 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

I disagree with this quite strongly. Barkley I agree is over hyped and not very good whilst I think Ox has always been an excellent talent who made big strides last season. I have always thought he was used poorly and Wengers style does not tend to maximise potential.

If you watched much of him last season you would have seen he is tailor made for RWB and has many similar qualities to Moses. Where he is considerably more effective is his crossing and passing ability and at 23 he still had room to grow. Whereas Barkley seems to have a lack of footballing intelligence with his constant poor decision making, Ox has shown he can perform with discipline in an unfamiliar role. 

Wenger has not improved young players for a long time and fortunately he is still young enough that someone like Conte can stamp the Arsenal mentality out of him. Last season he displaced the highly rated Bellerin and many Arsenal fans have been saying he's been their best player since they switched to 3 at the back. Still a big chance Wenger will refuse the sale but it does seem more believable with a rumoured £35mill on the table and 1 year left on his deal. Final added bonuses are that he is HG and can cover three positions. 

Beat me to it.......Agree 100%

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Didn't hear that. 

I thought Sergi Roberto was a left sided player. Happy to be corrected by someone who knows........

Edit - wikipedia suggests he plays on the right

He is a centre midfielder that has played a lot of games at RB as Barca sold off Dani Alves and never replaced him. Would be a good player to offer a more mobile Fabregas alternative as when Cesc doesn't play we lack creative passing ability in the centre. I would say though that he looked very suspect defensively at RB. Perhaps could be okay at RWB but will not be displacing Moses as first choice. Would feel a lot better if we signed both him and Ox. 

9 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

He is a centre midfielder that has played a lot of games at RB as Barca sold off Dani Alves and never replaced him. Would be a good player to offer a more mobile Fabregas alternative as when Cesc doesn't play we lack creative passing ability in the centre. I would say though that he looked very suspect defensively at RB. Perhaps could be okay at RWB but will not be displacing Moses as first choice. Would feel a lot better if we signed both him and Ox. 

I'm not sure we need a dedicated RWB right now if Moses is fit (Azpi, Willian, Rudiger can all deputise if we have a bigger squad) - but someone who can play there at a high level and do a good job going forward and back is useful.

We desperately need more players of quality though and for £36m he's a no brainer.

GURJ SS   
22 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Scathing words from Ray Wilkins on the Matic sale:

"I am a Chelsea supporter. I buy my season tickets at Chelsea and I want to know whose educated decision that was to sell Nemanja Matic. He could absolutely cost Chelsea the league and give the reds the league."

Pure panic from Ray. We've watched Matic have the odd good game here when playing against a team that puts zero pressure on him, and doesn't even try to counter attack (he did nothing that Blind didn't do when playing in that position in the past). We've then seen him being left behind on a regular basis, while a team breaks at our backline, he won't have a extra centre back rushing out the backline like he has had with us, or a Kante charging past him and catching the player he was supposed to be marking. Matic strengthening Man U isn't us giving them the title, it's possibly giving them 5th place, it's Lukaku, a year older Rashford, 2nd season Mikatariyan and 2nd season Pogba that will strengthen Man U for a title challenge; but depending on our transfers before the window closes, Man U could find themselves again 4 signings off the quality that we and their City rivals have.