• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

jangz   
8 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Neymar might win a team the PL, or Messi.

Not Matic.

If Utd win the league it will be because the  18 or so players they use over a season did the biz - not because Matic 'sat deep' better than Carrick 

I still think Utd is not that great in attack.. I don't think they will finish above us.. they don't have quality wide men which is crucial in premier league.. anyhow lets c..

Southampton also have also just announced a new Chinese majority shareholder which may have some influence on players leaving. Just invested £200m a £50m return wouldn't be bad first day in the office!

DannyLB   
57 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Neymar might win a team the PL, or Messi.

Not Matic.

If Utd win the league it will be because the  18 or so players they use over a season did the biz - not because Matic 'sat deep' better than Carrick 

I disagree, the addition of Matic to the Chelsea squad the second time around was exactly what Mourinho needed to complete his side for a serious title challenge which we of course ended up winning. Sometimes it's not so much about what the individual player can do but more about what a collective group can do with the addition of that player. 

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

I disagree with this quite strongly. Barkley I agree is over hyped and not very good whilst I think Ox has always been an excellent talent who made big strides last season. I have always thought he was used poorly and Wengers style does not tend to maximise potential.

If you watched much of him last season you would have seen he is tailor made for RWB and has many similar qualities to Moses. Where he is considerably more effective is his crossing and passing ability and at 23 he still had room to grow. Whereas Barkley seems to have a lack of footballing intelligence with his constant poor decision making, Ox has shown he can perform with discipline in an unfamiliar role. 

Wenger has not improved young players for a long time and fortunately he is still young enough that someone like Conte can stamp the Arsenal mentality out of him. Last season he displaced the highly rated Bellerin and many Arsenal fans have been saying he's been their best player since they switched to 3 at the back. Still a big chance Wenger will refuse the sale but it does seem more believable with a rumoured £35mill on the table and 1 year left on his deal. Final added bonuses are that he is HG and can cover three positions. 

Wenger has always been able to maximise players potential, and Oxlade has hit his ceiling, just like the others. If we sign him for free at the age of 24 I've got no problem, but I just don't see him a solution to our problems; especially at £35M with 1 year left(5 and a half months to free). We don't need potential, we have enough of that in our own young players, we need top quality and ready to go.

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

He does put Moses on the bench as he is a better footballer. He probably lacks Moses power and maybe stamina for the role, but he is a better footballer. He has better technical ability and end product than Moses.

Bellerin might be fractionally better, I'm not convinced there is too much in it and Bellerin looks less of a player at present, to the player who broke through 2 seasons back. Not sure the switch from RB to RWB has play completly to his strengths.

In theory, your are right that we shouldn't look to closely at nationalities. However, I believe it's important to have a core of players from the country the club is based. We have had a good English core for the last 10 years, it's now as low as it has ever been and Ox being English is more of an added bonus imo.

I too miss an English core at our club, but it's the quality I miss more than anything else.

I think the same would happen to Oxlade that I think would happen to Rose. They'd come in and look to be the answer, only to lose their place to the player they were supposed to replace. Just not enough top quality, with a squad this small we need top quality; not potential, the squad is just far too small to think about giving him a chance. Also I think Wenger got as much out of Oxlade than anyone can, he's actually given him more than enough chances in a variety of roles; but he always gets beat by a better player.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Kezza said:

He'd be a better option than Boga or Musonda for a start.

As a wing back yes, but then so will most players who have played in that position, unlike the two you mentioned. I'd rather go with Musonda in a position where Oxlade saw Xaka take his position and Oxlade can't play off the striker as well as Boga can; which is why Wenger uses him as a very last option in advanced areas.

BlueFizz   
46 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

I disagree, the addition of Matic to the Chelsea squad the second time around was exactly what Mourinho needed to complete his side for a serious title challenge which we of course ended up winning. Sometimes it's not so much about what the individual player can do but more about what a collective group can do with the addition of that player. 

I disagree with your disagree - Matic + Fabregas + Costa won us that title imo

paulw66   

FWIW, and please take this with however much salt you want........I heard that a Chelsea fan ran into Bruce Buck on Saturday evening not far from the ground and questioned about the lack of signings / small squad etc.......his response, "we have got 5 deals almost done" (or words to that affect)

I hope he means incoming! 

1 hour ago, DannyLB said:

I think you're bang on with that assessment. When utilised correctly, he's a monster in midfield. Over the last three seasons he's had amazing stats when it comes to win tackles, recoveries and interceptions. When a team plays with a high press and quick transitions he's at his best. 

He was the first piece of the jigsaw for that 2014/15 title winning team. Fabregas and Costa completed it. 

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

I too miss an English core at our club, but it's the quality I miss more than anything else.

I think the same would happen to Oxlade that I think would happen to Rose. They'd come in and look to be the answer, only to lose their place to the player they were supposed to replace. Just not enough top quality, with a squad this small we need top quality; not potential, the squad is just far too small to think about giving him a chance. Also I think Wenger got as much out of Oxlade than anyone can, he's actually given him more than enough chances in a variety of roles; but he always gets beat by a better player.

I don't think we can afford to be that picky at this point in time. The time for talking about us buying world class players ended a few weeks back. 

Now we should just about take anyone. 

25 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I disagree with your disagree - Matic + Fabregas + Costa won us that title imo

Absoluely.