• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

25 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Ronald Koeman admitted the other day that the club had received no offers for him, which was why he was contemplating using him this season in spite of earlier saying he was not needed and could leave. So much for all this alleged interest from Spurs and ourselves for this fantastic young player (so Lampard is suggested as having said) we kept hearing in this thread.

Oh come on. Everyone knows Spurs wanted him and they always leave it late to bid for anyone. So do we.

Lampard called Barkley "one of the most talented young players" he has trained with or played against. So I'll be taking his word over people who don't even play pro football or see Barkley at such close quarters. 

Edited by James Prescott

8 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Lampard called Barkley "one of the most talented players" he has trained with or played against. 

If thats what he said then he was just being nice.

There is no way in a million years, no matter what he said, that Barkley is one of the most talented players he has trained with or played against.

Look at who he played with in this career, then look at who he has played against.  Literally the best player's in the world over the past 15 years. 

Whatever he said Barkley is not one of the most talented players of the past 15 years.

9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

If thats what he said then he was just being nice.

There is no way in a million years, no matter what he said, that Barkley is one of the most talented players he has trained with or played against.

Look at who he played with in this career, then look at who he has played against.  Literally the best player's in the world over the past 15 years. 

Whatever he said Barkley is not one of the most talented players of the past 15 years.

Sorry, he said most talented "young players", not all players. My bad.

Obviously he has played with and against better players.

As if Lampard would say anything like that if he thought he was crap. Honestly.

Funny how people refuse to accept an opinion of a pro even when it's a direct quote.

Plus the fact Pochettino has wanted him for a long time. We've wanted him for a long time. He's been in the international set up for a while.

Spurs may not have bid, but that doesn't mean they weren't talking to Barkley or Everton behind the scenes. Plus he was injured so they and others wanted to wait till he was fit again to bid. Makes a lot of sense.

Now he has a major injury he will likely stay, because no one will want to sign a player with a long term injury. But all it means is he will leave in January.

I rate Barkley. Others don't. Both opinions are valid. 

Edited by James Prescott

Apparently about to bid £20 million for Soares. Maybe the Ox bid has fallen through.

Article also says we are on good terms with Southampton which gives us a good chance with Van Dijk.

But honestly tired of speculation. How hard is it to sign some actual players? We've had months to get this stuff done and the money to do it. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-step-up-bid-for-20m-cedric-soares-and-remain-in-strong-position-over-virgil-van-dijk-a3612826.html

GURJ SS   
9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

You don't 'think', but then you don't 'know'. You're simply throwing imaginary figures around to make an argument. Thanks all the same, but I'll wait and see.

Easy there Thought Police...

It's just my thoughts on what the delay is in the transfer market, and also, it's what I would do if conducting business with a company in the same desperate situation as our club is. We'll all have to wait and see, but if we weren't allowed to give our thoughts in the mean time, then there wouldn't be a need for a transfer thread.

• Like 1

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/arjen-Robben-bayern-munich-letter-to-my-younger-self/amp/

Interesting piece linked here.

In relation to transfers, perhaps what we've lost with JT leaving is the glue that held the players together, regardless of who the manager is.

It's one of the non-tangible aspects of teams and how they work or not work, as the case may be. We'll soon see, but my own feeling is that unless someone 'steps-up' or we find another true leader we may lose that team resilience and continuity, that has seen us continue to win titles, in spite of the almost continual state of managerial change we've been in since 2007/8. 

Edited by East Lower

Dingus   
18 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Apparently about to bid £20 million for Soares. Maybe the Ox bid has fallen through.

Article also says we are on good terms with Southampton which gives us a good chance with Van Dijk.

But honestly tired of speculation. How hard is it to sign some actual players? We've had months to get this stuff done and the money to do it. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-step-up-bid-for-20m-cedric-soares-and-remain-in-strong-position-over-virgil-van-dijk-a3612826.html

It's nothing about the Ox bid falling through. If we made a bid and going from Wenger's comments, the bid was seemingly rejected and he wants to keep him at the club for his final year.

Dingus   

Not that I would want to wish any ill fortune on the club, but there is a small part of me that hopes we don't sign any new players and we're forced to go through the season with what we have.

IMO, somethings not right at the club. It's clear there are issues between the ideals of what the board want regarding transfers and Conte.

How can the man get the players he wants when all the club want is young players with potential high resale value a few years down the line...?

I'm resigning myself to the notion that this season will be Conte's last here with us.

2 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Not that I would want to wish any ill fortune on the club, but there is a small part of me that hopes we don't sign any new players and we're forced to go through the season with what we have.

IMO, somethings not right at the club. It's clear there are issues between the ideals of what the board want regarding transfers and Conte.

How can the man get the players he wants when all the club want is young players with potential high resale value a few years down the line...?

I'm resigning myself to the notion that this season will be Conte's last here with us.

To be honest, it's not so much Conte experiencing this but rather all managers we employ. 

Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mourinho again and now Conte. You are right though (imo), something is definitely not right at the club. 

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, East Lower said:

In relation to transfers, perhaps what we've lost with JT leaving is the glue that held the players together, regardless of who the manager is.

Add into the mix Steve Holland whom we have also lost. One of those individuals you never quite understood why he got where he did until he'd gone.

There's a lot to be said for continuity in any organisation. This season, to an extent, we have lost a degree of identity due to both of these individuals leaving the club.