• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

40 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Some people have short memories,

It was not that long ago Mr Roman bailed out the previous Chelsea FC, when they had a business model of borrowing money, for Stadium development, player recruitment etc. which backfired. Do we want to go back down that road again?

We all owe a lot to the Jesper Grønkjær goal

I don't have a short memory, just stating the obvious. Roman hasn't paid for a player with his own money in years. 

The Chelsea FC operation is 100% funded with Chelsea FC generated turnover. 

37 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Surely Roman and Chelsea FC are one and the same? Just like Clark Kent and Superman.....you can't have one without the other......

I appreciate the joke, but we both know that is simply not true. 

We haven't signed enough players because the market is crazy and our board won't pay exorbitant fees - and waiting until right at the end of the window is the best way of extracting some value, as the selling clubs know that they've reached a take it or leave it situation. Until then we either pay Man City fees or make do with the minimal number of senior players that we have.

I still think that making much more use of academy products is the only way around this situation, bringing in players that know how to play our system because they've been playing the same position in the U18/development squad/targeted loans. But with JT and Steve Holland gone there's little or no link between the first team and the academy. A change of philosophy at first team level is needed before we'll bridge the gap that can give us a full first team squad.

jangz   
14 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Do we have any 'younger players' left?

exactly my sentiments.. apart from attacking roles .. we really dont have anyone.

BlueFizz   

Can we have a quick head count?

Who's in the 'believe every player the press link us with and get angry at how long it takes to sign them and at the high price even if its just a rumour anyway' camp?

And who's in the 'I don't believe any of it but do trust us to strengthen sufficiently by deadline day' camp?

I feel I may be a minority of one.

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

So then, based on the actions of their current cubs (and what they're saying) it would appear that we won't be signing Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sandro, VVD,  Sanchez, or Barkley any time soon. If ever. 

Which would leave us possibly still chasing Rose, liorente, Drinkwater, and (maybe) Belotti, if you believe the newspapers. 

I doubt Spurs will sell Rose, in spite of his recent interview. They've not added to their squad either, so Rose, currently, is their most senior left back... not sure they'd want to strengthen a rival whilst weakening themselves quite as enthusiastically as we sometimes do.

Llorente may be a Conte target, but given his age and the money Swansea want for him, I doubt funds will be released from up high to acquire his signature.

Drinkwater seems the most likely of those we've been linked with. Leicester want £40m for him, which is far too much... maybe they want to make up for us getting Kanté so cheaply last summer (and who could blame them?). If we can get them down to around £30m (still too much, but in this crazy market something we'll just have to accept) then it may well happen. After all we do need bodies in central midfield.

Belotti... yes please. Probably unlikely, but who knows. If both he and Turin hint it may be possible then we should try with all our might to get the deal done.

Dingus   
4 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Who's in the 'believe every player the press link us with and get angry at how long it takes to sign them and at the high price even if its just a rumour anyway' camp?

And who's in the 'I don't believe any of it but do trust us to strengthen sufficiently by deadline day' camp?

Why bother with this type of post though?

Do I believe we're liked with every player in the press says we are? No.

Am I angry that once again we're leaving it until the last minute to sign players that clubs won't be willing to sell as it would leave the selling club less time to get a replacement for? Absolutely.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

At who (allegedly)?

At Juve, allegedly, for not selling. Which is pretty hilarious.

8 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Very true, I wrote Lamps off too, never been more wrong in my life. The only thing I'd say is at Ox's age, Lamps knew his best position and had already had over 150 games in that position by the time he came to us. Ox for me is James Milner, 6/10 in terms of actual quality, but 9/10 in work rate and consistency; my issue with that is he's the sort of player you get on a free in a year's time, and put him on the bench; he's the utility player that allows the manager to have more options from the bench because he's able to cover a few positions, the key word being cover. Unless we make him force a move for £20M, we should sign him up in Jan for free, and wait until next season; a formal transfer request and I'd be happy at £25M, just for sticking it to Arsenal.

If Wenger is insistent on hanging on to the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, and Ox, there's going to be quite a fight to sign them as free agents next summer. Will be interesting to see who's in the mix and who prevails. It'll be a wage battle I reckon. 

8 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Let Watford have him, and sign Troy Deeney.

Watford would ask for £40m for Deeney.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

So then, based on the actions of their current cubs (and what they're saying) it would appear that we won't be signing Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sandro, VVD,  Sanchez, or Barkley any time soon. If ever. 

Which would leave us possibly still chasing Rose, liorente, Drinkwater, and (maybe) Belotti, if you believe the newspapers. 

Can only see Drinkwater as a possibility among those. I reckon Cedric might be someone we consider as well. 

6 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

FWIW Joao Cancelo who we've been linked with at one point in time is set to join Inter Milan on loan with an option to buy. In exchange, Kondogbia moves the other way on loan with option to buy and % of next sale.

Interesting that; don't often see loan swaps. 

59 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Do we have any 'younger players' left?

Could ask Conte and Jody to put their boots on again, Failing that the club could always activate the buyback clauses for Chalobal and Ake :0)

20 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I'm in neither of those camps. 

I don't believe every rumour but is still incensed we sign players later than any other PL club. 

I also do not believe (for a second I might add) that we will strengthen sufficiently by deadline day. You simply don't sign 4-5 quality players in a two weeks window. It ain't happening. 

Personally I'm quite prepared for a disastrous season by our own yardstick. Right now I can see us competing for 4-7th position in the league.