• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Matt Law is reporting we want Ox, Drinkwater and Barkley before the deadline closes - and are still looking at Sandro, and possibly a CF. So potentially up to 5 signings.

If we get Ox, Drinkwater, Barkley, Vardy and a LWB, we'll have done very well - and our squad will be much much stronger. 

Don't get the criticism of Vardy - perfect Conte player. Works really hard, fit, fast can finish, great on the counter attack. I don't care about the media stuff which comes with him, I care about the football. And on that score, he's a great addition. Him and Morata would be dynamite up front together.

Apparently Vardy's pre match diet consists of three red bulls and an espresso, I'm sure the bridge is well stocked with carabao he could save a fortune playing for us!

kratos   

Hmm I am not sure if Vardy is the right type of player for us. Pace yes, but against a deep lying defence?

I think Vardy is exactly what we need. For a start we need some English players but mainly because he's a top player and a top poacher. He's quick and Fabragas would have a field day picking his runs out. He's certainly a yard faster than Costa but quite a similar player in my mind. Aggressive, in your face, strong in the air, can be a battering ram but has plenty of skill. As someone else mentioned, he could also bring out the best in Morata. I rather like the idea.  

Vardy is a workhorse, someone to occupy defenders, in a different not in your face way Costa does. Still, will buy Morata the space he needs to flourish. And he knows where the goal is. 

He could be our very own (Leicester) fox in the box.

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Morata himself is on record stating that everyone knew Real would exercise the option basically throughout his second season at Juve and that it was difficult in that period as he didn't know what the future held for him - would Real keep him or look to sell him on at a nice profit... 

Doesnt take too much imagination to consider what that realisation may have meant in potential playing time at Juve once it was known. 

And I can guarantee it had absolutely zero impact on the outcome of him being selected for games or not. He played essentially the same number of games/minutes across both seasons he was at Juventus. The sole reason he wasn't able to cement a regular spot in the starting eleven was down to performances, or lack of consistent ones. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he was going to remain at Juventus or not and the club not wanting to develop him further. 

2014/15 he was the second highest in appearances from all forwards for the season (all comps) behind Tevez by 2. His competition upfront that season was Tevez, Llorente, Matri, Koman and Giovinco (who left in January). 

2015/16 he was the highest appearance maker across all forwards leading Dybala by 1. His competition that season was Dybala, Zaza, Mandzukic. With Llorente and Koman leaving during the season. 

My views are purely established from having actually watched him week in, week out across both seasons he was at Juventus for. The reality is, regardless if it fits in with your opinion of him or not, he's a largely inconsistent player and that reason alone is why he couldn't cement a spot. It came down to what he offers on the pitch. You'll likely hear exactly the same from anyone that saw him play in Serie A. He got overhyped beyond belief because of a small period of play where he was indeed excellent. If you follow the NBA it's similar to what happened with Jeremy Lin when he burst onto the scene with the New York Knicks and "Linsanity" was born. Since then he's bounced around the league and been an inconsistent player compared to the hype and expectations first had. 

Hopefully Morata will find that consistency to his game as he matures further. Hopefully with that he means he's a more reliable player, a more frequent scorer and can make an impact on a weekly basis across a whole season. Not just for a few games here and there. Because he's got huge boots to fill and huge expectations to meet, given the role he's holding here now and the price tag attached to him. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, The Fab 4 said:

Vardy is a workhorse, someone to occupy defenders, in a different not in your face way Costa does. Still, will buy Morata the space he needs to flourish. And he knows where the goal is. 

He could be our very own (Leicester) fox in the box.

The problem with Vardy is that he's quite reliant on his pace. He's now 30 years old (31 in January), and while he doesn't have the mileage others forward do have, that aspect of his game is going to decline in the next couple of seasons. Without that extra zip, would he still be viable at the price we'd have to fork out? That's my main concern if we were to actually ever sign him. 

I've suggested Eder (Inter Milan) in the past and think he'd be a cheaper alternative who offers a similar style. Added bonus of having worked with Conte before with the NT at the Euro's and performed well. 

31 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

The problem with Vardy is that he's quite reliant on his pace. He's now 30 years old (31 in January), and while he doesn't have the mileage others forward do have, that aspect of his game is going to decline in the next couple of seasons. Without that extra zip, would he still be viable at the price we'd have to fork out? That's my main concern if we were to actually ever sign him. 

I've suggested Eder (Inter Milan) in the past and think he'd be a cheaper alternative who offers a similar style. Added bonus of having worked with Conte before with the NT at the Euro's and performed well. 

Agree the age makes him a short term rather than a long term option.

But think he could go another 2 years (if injury free) at the level he is now before any real noticeable slowdown. By then Morata should be nicely settled.

As well as a partner to take pressure off Morata, I think he makes Drinkwater more viable. Danny's best work particularly in the title winning season was picking out passes for Vardy. It MAY be where the club are thinking of taking this...

Guess we'll find out soon!

Dingus   

Matt Law has been repeating the same article for the last month so I'm not even fussed what he says anymore.

Fact of the matter is that with one week to go before the window closes, we're seemingly no closer to signing anyone than we were a few weeks ago.

We will get one, possibly two players at a push but people are crazy to think we'll sign 4/5 players.

Holymoly   
20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not how I recall it.  I recall a number of people here making categoric statements that he'd go to China in the Summer and if not to AM, based on much softer statements in the press.  The noisy gang bought the story wholly.

I think the only reason he's not jogged over to China is the clampdown over there on silly money transfers of overseas players. If we'd been offered the money we were last year I'm pretty sure he would have swallowed his love of Madrid and taken the vast salary on offer at that time.

• Like 2