• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Oh I think we'd all prefer not to panic but panic kinda has a mind of it's own. I rather not sit there during a penalty shoot out chewing my nails but I do! 

I'll be pleased when this window is closed and we can all just get on with what we got. 

Me too Nobly

Ham   

Arsenal fans I know are convinced the Ox is off to Chelsea and also rumours that Remy and Llorente will swap places. 

I'm a huge fan of Llorente so I'd be thrilled with him off the bench against a massed defence, despite his age. 

5 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

The same manager who got Viera, Pires and Henry to their full potential.

He did, but I think it's telling that those three joined Arsenal nearly twenty years ago, and it's difficult to reel off more recent examples. Ramsey was always going to make it, regardless of Wenger. The tragedy (in his case) is why he's regressed since having a real outstanding season about 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like much has changed at Arsenal, so it just strikes me as mismanagement.

can't blame him for Wilshere's injuries

Not direct blame, but as a club, they get player rehabilitation wrong time and time again - Cazorla and Welbeck being the latest to be Arsenal'd.

Actually after 2 games, Christensen has looked more established in the PL than Ox ever has. We need to be aiming far higher. I'm totally not a fan of Walker, I think Tripper has more to his game, but if £15M more got me Walker I'd rather we have got him.

I don't really see Oxlade Chamberlain as a full back and for that money, that would be not such a good move.

Looks like his personal preference is to play through the middle, but (by all accounts) when he broke through at Southampton he had most joy as a winger.

I'll have to be honest, I can't claim to be a huge fan and I've never been one to bang "The Ox" drum, but I'd take him because I think he's got levels he hasn't yet reached, but can in the right surroundings.

Although Llorente wouldn't be my top choice he's the right ilk of player to expand our threat upfront. Can see it happening, perhaps with Bony going the other direction or perhaps Remy could go.

Not sure about how fit for action he is currently but I'm sure Conte knows how to get the most out of this player having previously workes with him.

xCELERYx   

Tickle my curiosity but why are so many convinced we're going to pay Ox £180k? As far as I gather, that's what Arsenal are reportedly offered for him to stay. They are showing their desperation in keeping him, and the lack of footballing prospects in terms of winning something meaningful isn't there to add further sweetening. This essentially leaves money as the main tool Arsenal have, hence the ridiculous wage. There's absolutely no chance he'll get remotely close to that here because we've got more to sell him on. He'll likely still get a very good wage but I'll be gobsmacked if it's anywhere near the realm of £180k.

• Like 2

GURJ SS   
6 hours ago, James Prescott said:

He's 23, not 27/28. 

He's still not at his peak. Lamps wasn't at his peak at 23. We signed Lamps at 22 and not in the England squad. He only reached his full potential in his second or third season.

Ox is already a full international and ready to take the step up. Barkley is the same (and injuries have hindered his development). In the next 5-8 years these two will reach their peak. And they might do that here.

24, yet hasn't improved since 18, we've let better players go who have been younger than 24.

Lampard already had over 150 games in the position he spent his whole career in, before he joined us. Lampard did not look like a world beater, but he wasn't a squad gap filler either. Walcott also made the England squad younger than Lampard, doesn't mean he has the same potential.

Both Ox and Barkley may well reach their peak here or elsewhere, but they're already so close to their peak that they aren't even worth the investment(unless we've become so desperate for a English core that we are willing to sacrifice results and silverware). Ox is a player who is a backup player and has been for quite a few years, and Barkley can't even hold onto the ball; a number 10 who is unable to hold onto the ball, that's just laughable.

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

He did, but I think it's telling that those three joined Arsenal nearly twenty years ago, and it's difficult to reel off more recent examples. Ramsey was always going to make it, regardless of Wenger. The tragedy (in his case) is why he's regressed since having a real outstanding season about 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like much has changed at Arsenal, so it just strikes me as mismanagement.

Not direct blame, but as a club, they get player rehabilitation wrong time and time again - Cazorla and Welbeck being the latest to be Arsenal'd.

I don't really see Oxlade Chamberlain as a full back and for that money, that would be not such a good move.

Looks like his personal preference is to play through the middle, but (by all accounts) when he broke through at Southampton he had most joy as a winger.

I'll have to be honest, I can't claim to be a huge fan and I've never been one to bang "The Ox" drum, but I'd take him because I think he's got levels he hasn't yet reached, but can in the right surroundings.

He has still made progress with players, but they haven't been as good as those, they can't even buy players as good as those so I think it actually makes Wenger look even better. Ramsey made it because Wenger supported him, and Ramsey was able to justify being played in his desired position.

Nah, can't agree with blaming anyone for injuries. Wilshere just hasn't got the body to play football, he gets injured while watching other players get tackled. With so many injuries throughout the squad, and still Ox can't cement a place in the team; in what is an average Arsenal team.

We simply haven't got the time to buy a player and wait to see if he reaches his so called media overhyped potential. Chalobah left because we didn't have the time to develop him, Ake left for the same reason, we don't need players who need time. If we hadn't sold or loaned out so many Ox like players in recent years I'd say fair enough, but he's nothing more than what Chalobah, RLC, Pasalic or Musonda could give us, I don't think we are the type of club that can put up with sacrificing results for a player's dodgy potential.

Edited by GURJ SS

xCELERYx   
10 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

24, yet hasn't improved since 18, we've let better players go who have been younger than 24.

Lampard already had over 150 games in the position he spent his whole career in, before he joined us. Lampard did not look like a world beater, but he wasn't a squad gap filler either. Walcott also made the England squad younger than Lampard, doesn't mean he has the same potential.

Both Ox and Barkley may well reach their peak here or elsewhere, but they're already so close to their peak that they aren't even worth the investment(unless we've become so desperate for a English core that we are willing to sacrifice results and silverware). Ox is a player who is a backup player and has been for quite a few years, and Barkley can't even hold onto the ball; a number 10 who is unable to hold onto the ball, that's just laughable.

Isn't so black and white though. The likes of Drogba and Luca Toni for example weren't exactly setting the footballing world alight in their early 20's. While you've got players who peak early and then fizzle out when they're meant to be enjoying their peak footballing years. 

Ox may never be a top tier player, but we don't necessarily need that at this point. It he can improve and become more consistent, there's no reason why he cannot become a very good player going forward. Now, £35m is a heck of a lot for someone who isn't going walk into the first team, however that's also the reality of the market now. If he was signed for that price and spends the next 8 years here or so, then you'd have to say that it would be money fairly well spent overall. 

Not that I want to see us spend that much, but we're not exactly blessed with alternatives either who also fill that English quota. Ox is probably one of the more justifiable purchases out there. 

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm a huge fan of Llorente so I'd be thrilled with him off the bench against a massed defence, despite his age. 

Can we justify giving him a bench position?

Don't get me wrong I like Llorente, but I'd take someone like Vardy who is a more usable player. He would give us different options and even start games for us, but I think Llorente would only be usable in a kitchen sink scenario.

30 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Liorente, Drinkwater and Van Dijk? This is what our ambition has come to, now? Mediocre, the lot of them. Dear me.