• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

cii99mn1   

Assuming Ox leaves I can't understand why Wenger started Ox in the games so far. Surely he must have known about it or was he hoping to change his mind? Or that he would get injured?

We have made some good signings so far but the ones we are linked with now are slightly underwhelming. I hope they can surprise positively if we do sign them. 

In the minority, but I rate Barkley. He's still got this reputation as this sort of head down, ball hogging, not seeing a pass, trying to do it all by himself knucklehead - but I haven't really seen that at all from him in the last couple of years.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that Koeman tried to (wrongly) curb some of the better parts of his game last season. He needs to get out of Everton quick and for £25m, I'd take him without hesitation.

I'd take the risk for 25 million, simply because I think Conte would improve him leaps and bounds

synavm   

Yep, I think at £25 Million he is worth a punt and Conte could be the man to help him reach his potential. If he gets close to that, a move for Barkley would be a master stroke. Hope we get him.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Rob B said:

No - he goes into the Development squad.

As for Barkley, same as Ox really...why don't we wait to see how they play with better players, under a better manager.

I for one, would welcome both.  Neither are the finished article, but have huge potential. 

That logic suggest that loaning out RLC to Crystal Palace is destroying his career. Now I know due to our club leaving it to the last minute that we've got to be positive about whoever comes in, and I'll support whoever comes in; but let's not kid ourselves, we are taking huge risks on players who have proven themselves to be nothing more than average - and we are even paying for that average quality.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Box of Tricks said:

In the minority, but I rate Barkley. He's still got this reputation as this sort of head down, ball hogging, not seeing a pass, trying to do it all by himself knucklehead - but I haven't really seen that at all from him in the last couple of years.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that Koeman tried to (wrongly) curb some of the better parts of his game last season. He needs to get out of Everton quick and for £25m, I'd take him without hesitation.

Wow...just wow. Today I've heard that Wenger is the reason Ox is rubbish, and now it's Koeman that has purposely sabotaged Barkley's ability to play football properly. Wow.

xCELERYx   
5 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Could not agree more. Ox is 2-4th choice in pretty much every position he can play. Personally, like you I would buy someone else. Candreva on a loan (whilst bunging Inter a loan fee) or Cedric (who would probably be cheaper) would be better calls. 

We seemingly tried for Candreva multiple times, Inter nor the player wanted a deal. Can't do much more than that. This has happened with reportedly both Walker and Danilo too, chased both and a combination of price and their desire to move to other clubs meant we missed out. It's not like we've not had other targets. 

And the reality is, we need English players. When it all boils down to do, Ox is one of the better ones who still holds some promise. While actually being obtainable. 

1 hour ago, Box of Tricks said:

He's still got this reputation as this sort of head down, ball hogging, not seeing a pass, trying to do it all by himself knucklehead

And it's a well-earned reputation, imo, and perfectly reflects the Barkley I've been watching. People keep talking about his 'potential', but he's 23 (going on 24), and has 179 games for Everton under his belt - he's hardly a kid learning his trade, is he?  I'd take Drinkwater, and Oxlade-Chamberlain (on the basis of needing to add English players), but for me, Barkley is a joke answer to a serious question!

There's a lot of fine players out there, if we're really serious - Mahrez, Lemar, Draxler, etc. I just don't understand why we'd settle for the likes of Barkley?

40 minutes ago, synavm said:

Yep, I think at £25 Million he is worth a punt and Conte could be the man to help him reach his potential. If he gets close to that, a move for Barkley would be a master stroke. Hope we get him.

Yep. Training with quality players, playing under a manager who'd work him really hard and improve him, and at a club where his talents could be maximised, I think he'd thrive here. He's only 23, his best years are ahead of him and you can't deny his ambition. 

People talk about wasted potential. 23 is still very young. We signed Joe Cole at 21 and Lamps at 22, both had yet to reach their potential (and had some of the same criticisms at the time, believe it or not). 

He's been wasted at Everton, poor management, playing with less than world class players, and sadly, being the star it was way too easy for him. At Chelsea, he'd have to earn his place on merit. 

Pochettino and Conte clearly rate him, so do all the managers who've picked him for England, he's highly rated by most pundits too. I trust their judgement, and it fits with the potential I've seen. 

For £25 million, in this market, it's a bargain. Hope we get him.

Edited by James Prescott