• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

7 minutes ago, blue_everest said:

May be do not wait until 2 days left??

The number of days before the window closes doesn't have much bearing in this situation. If the reports are to be believed, the player seems to prefer one club (Liverpool) over another club (Chelsea) because of the likely position he'll play. The player sees himself as a central midfielder. At Liverpool, he stands a decent chance of starting most games in that position. With Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko and possibly Drinkwater, he probably (rightly) thinks he'll be used more as a right wing back at Chelsea... a position he has found himself playing at the club he wishes to leave, and one that he doesn't seem too keen to be playing!

12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

The number of days before the window closes doesn't have much bearing in this situation. If the reports are to be believed, the player seems to prefer one club (Liverpool) over another club (Chelsea) because of the likely position he'll play. The player sees himself as a central midfielder. At Liverpool, he stands a decent chance of starting most games in that position. With Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko and possibly Drinkwater, he probably (rightly) thinks he'll be used more as a right wing back at Chelsea... a position he has found himself playing at the club he wishes to leave, and one that he doesn't seem too keen to be playing!

I understand it doesn't have any bearing. I meant to say we don't have enough time to find replacement now. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

I was unaware that the player did not want the move. I also get what you are saying about Ox but I feel if we are going for an HG to fill a squad place, Drinkwater is the man to do that as he fits the squad position he needs to play. Additionally, whilst I appreciate what Moses did last season and the role he plays in the squad, I feel that he, along with Cahill, are the weakest members of the first XI. Therefore, if we are going out buying a RWB at £35m, I want that player to be better than Moses, not his back-up. 

Yeah, he wants to stay in Italy. Which is probably understandable given he's 30 and obviously settled. We need squad fillers who are also good enough to provide competition and are ultimately usable players - hence Ox. If we just wanted squad fillers to simply give us numbers and fill a quota, we may as well just include players from the academy or buy players from League Two for peanuts. 

For all we know at this point, maybe the idea of Ox was simply to play in midfield/attacking midfield. Realistically speaking, we have RWB cover in Azpi because we can now utilise a Rudiger or Christensen at CB. This wasn't an option last year because the two other options we had were ill suited to the system (Terry and Zouma). A RWB isn't a huge priority at this point, unlike LWB cover. 

That said, if he doesn't want to come here then so be it. What made him an attractive option is his age, his HG status and there still being room for him to improve. While he's also a young player who's experienced in both the EPL and Europe. He'd be able to come in and contribute immediately in some capacity. Also, he's one of the few English players currently doing the rounds who is realistically obtainable. While there may be better English players overall, most aren't players we need because we have their positions well covered. Although, when you look around it really is slim pickings compared to years gone by. 

Frustrating news re: Oxlade, but if it really is a problem about the position he will play then I suppose he has a right to do whatever he thinks is the right move career wise. Frustrating.

Not looking to blame anyone, but I get the feeling judging by Diego Costa's comments, Matic leaving, Willian having openly talked about the possibility of leaving for United, and now this latest bit about Oxlade that maybe Conte's not pretty good at convincing players that he is worth laying on the line for. Managers like Mourinho and Pep seem to have lot more pulling power with respect to players IMO.

xCELERYx   

As for the reports of Ox turning us down because he want to play CM. Does he think he'll have a better chance of that at Liverpool? Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana (when he returns), Can, and then Keita who is joining next season. He's still going to have significant competition for a role at CM - albeit not to the quality level we have. Still completely possible he ends up playing out of what he thinks is his preferred positon. 

The definition of a lateral move.

xCELERYx   
3 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Frustrating news re: Oxlade, but if it really is a problem about the position he will play then I suppose he has a right to do whatever he thinks is the right move career wise. Frustrating.

Not looking to blame anyone, but I get the feeling judging by Diego Costa's comments, Matic leaving, Willian having openly talked about the possibility of leaving for United, and now this latest bit about Oxlade that maybe Conte's not pretty good at convincing players that he is worth laying on the line for. Managers like Mourinho and Pep seem to have lot more pulling power with respect to players IMO.

Willian spoke about how United wanted him, however he has no desire to leave.

As for Conte not having the pull that either Mourinho or Pep has, it's difficult to say. I think in terms of a global situation, Pep and JM are a ahead purely because of the clubs they've managed. Pep at Barca and JM with his spell at Madrid and now being at United. Conte has pull within Italy where he's been highly regarded for years. His success here last season will aid that somewhat, however it's not enough. The fact we're also competing with two sides who are willing to throw money around freely doesn't make things easier either. 

9 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I think that you're really stretching here, tbh.

Diego Costa is a clown. Yes, he scores goals and that's undeniable and great, but now he's been sat on his bum enjoying the sunshine in Brazil for a couple of months and nobody it seems, has been beating down his door. He'll go to Atletico, no doubt, but he never makes anything easy, does he? Conte showed him the door, and imo, that was a good thing, too.

Matic left to be with Mourinho, under whom he played his best football - perfectly understandable given his age and status, and I'm not sure how any blame for that can be attributed to Conte.

As for Willian - yes, he's talked about Man Utd/Mourinho trying to buy him. So what? He stayed at Chelsea (and with Conte)! Probably says all that needs to be said about that one.

As far as Oxlade-Chamberlain is concerned, I don't remember him saying that he wanted to sign for Chelsea - just that he wanted to leave arsenal. Chelsea as his target destination was the usual beat-up on here - it might have had some substance to it, but at the end of the day, he chose to go to Liverpool (if we can believe the papers, that is). 

A far as I can tell, none of this is in any way, can be reasonably interpreted as a reflection on Conte.

Vinod   

I waiting eagerly for us to announce Mikel, Kalou and Del Horno.

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

As for the reports of Ox turning us down because he want to play CM. Does he think he'll have a better chance of that at Liverpool? Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana (when he returns), Can, and then Keita who is joining next season. He's still going to have significant competition for a role at CM - albeit not to the quality level we have. Still completely possible he ends up playing out of what he thinks is his preferred positon. 

The definition of a lateral move.

You also forgot about Coutinho (assuming he stays) but point well taken.