• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Rob B   
2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

There's nothing to admit. As others have pointed out already, the window itself has seen us bring in some good quality players - including the return of Christensen. The deals we've failed to establish will have an array of varied factors; club not interested in selling (Sandro/Candreva), player's not wanting to join us (Candreva, Lukaku, Walker, Danilo, and now Ox by reports). Situations like that are hardly fault of the club. We've tried and we've fallen short because of circumstances out of our control.

On the players not wanting to join us, I would say that is entirely within our control.

We dictate their remuneration, sell the club's vision, talk about how we see them being utilised within the squad, type of football to be played, philosophy etc, sometimes even take them on a tour of Conham, and then the player makes a decision.  If another club does a better job  at that, doesn't mean it's not within our control. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

BBC and Matt Law both reporting Everton have rejected our £25 million bid for Barkley, but that we're expected to continue discussions over a deal for the player and both sides believe a deal can be reached

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41093101

Meanwhile, Sky saying Drinkwater has handed in a transfer request, wants to come to Chelsea, but we need to get closer to Leicester's valuation.

AS reporting we're close to signing Llorente for £15 million, and other reports suggesting Mahrez is about to sign for a London club. Possibly Chelsea.

Need to get those negotiations done fast.

38 hours to go. 4 players needed.

Calm down calm down james

if the bin dippers from the other side of staney park want more than 25m for a player who is injured, then they will be paying his wages for the next year and he goes on a free. Real good business when the manager stated he is not in his plans

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Zoowraa   
2 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

if the other bin dippers want more than 25m for a player who is injured, then they will be paying his wages for the next year and he goes on a free. Real good business when the manager stated he is not in his plans

I wouldn't get too concerned for his health, he will only be around for the next 48 hrs and then we will all get a break from him until around Xmas, just in time to play more transfer bingo champ manager!

xCELERYx   
17 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

In the words of MT: Nothing on either official websites about a fee being agreed

Think its all BS just Skysports trying to drum up interest

Maybe the club have told him to FRO when his agent spewed out his wage demands. I for one will not loose any sleep if he does not sign

I'm aware. Wasn't stating this as a final signing off, was more just an overview of the whole situation and possible move. 

I actually think there's a chance he will sign. Either way, we'll find out soon enough!

xCELERYx   
9 minutes ago, Rob B said:

On the players not wanting to join us, I would say that is entirely within our control.

We dictate their remuneration, sell the club's vision, talk about how we see them being utilised within the squad, type of football to be played, philosophy etc, sometimes even take them on a tour of Conham, and then the player makes a decision.  If another club does a better job  at that, doesn't mean it's not within our control. 

Doesn't mean it's going to change a players mind if they simply aren't interested in moving - see Nainggolan as the perfect example.

We can certainly influence a decision and that's within control, I agree. Changing a players mind is a completely different kettle of fish.

11 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

if the bin dippers from the other side of staney park want more than 25m for a player who is injured, then they will be paying his wages for the next year and he goes on a free. Real good business when the manager stated he is not in his plans

I'm perfectly calm.

Bids are going in for players, we're clearly working hard on getting deals done. 

Barkley, Drinkwater and Llorente, we're clearly in negotiations. I suspect we'll go for a wing-back now Ox has rejected us (probably one of Bertrand or Soares). 

In fact, most of the media are now reporting Llorente could be done today. 

Just deadline day nerves, because we need to strengthen our squad, can't afford to screw this up.

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

And it's a well-earned reputation, imo, and perfectly reflects the Barkley I've been watching. People keep talking about his 'potential', but he's 23 (going on 24), and has 179 games for Everton under his belt - he's hardly a kid learning his trade, is he?  I'd take Drinkwater, and Oxlade-Chamberlain (on the basis of needing to add English players), but for me, Barkley is a joke answer to a serious question!

There's a lot of fine players out there, if we're really serious - Mahrez, Lemar, Draxler, etc. I just don't understand why we'd settle for the likes of Barkley?

I think his nationality is the deciding factor. Would much rather spend the extra 15-20m on Mahrez.

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

The number of days before the window closes doesn't have much bearing in this situation. If the reports are to be believed, the player seems to prefer one club (Liverpool) over another club (Chelsea) because of the likely position he'll play. The player sees himself as a central midfielder. At Liverpool, he stands a decent chance of starting most games in that position. With Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko and possibly Drinkwater, he probably (rightly) thinks he'll be used more as a right wing back at Chelsea... a position he has found himself playing at the club he wishes to leave, and one that he doesn't seem too keen to be playing!

Of course the number of days (hours, really) has a bearing. Ox was probably going to be counted on to provide cover for both WB positions. Now we have to scramble to find someone else (possibly two), with clubs knowing full well how desperate we are.

As for OX, I think we've dodged a bullet. If he isn't up for coming here and fighting for his place, whatever place that may be, then we're better off without him. We don't need an entitled attitude like that.

The problem is that we remain desperately short and the alternatives are few. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yes. Would be a god signing too. Hope we can seal it in the coming hours. 

29 minutes ago, jones said:

Shame about Ox, now we desperately need a WB.

2 WB's, to be honest, or at least one who can fill in at both positions.

The good news is that it seems likely that we'll land Drinkwater, Barkley, and Llorente, so most other positions have been covered. 

I admit, if it's a straight choice between Mahrez and Barkley, I'd probably go for the former. I rate Barkley highly but Mahrez is top class, so if it's one of the two I'd probably choose him. That said, if we get either (or even both), I'll be happy. 

Sciatika   
7 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Who are these backups of which you speak? Without calling on the youth players I fail to see how we have the numbers to play a weakened side.

6 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Backups? We barely have a squad as it stands! Everyone who is currently part of the squad will be playing in these games.

Its a fair point but Caballero, Christensen, Tomori, Scott, Kenedy, Musonda, Remy and, as I said, with one or two decent backups, that's a group of nine. We would then rotate other first team players to fufill particular positions to do 45 minutes each. We also have Nathan and both Houghton and JCS should available soon as well. Or, maybe we need to bite the bullet and dip into the PL2 squad. People here moan we never play the youngsters. We could treat the FAC and FLC are an opportunity to do that, so maybe we pick some of those (depending on the opposition). Ampadu and Castillo look quite good to me but no doubt Juni could suggest others.