• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

17 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Even I'm tired of being negative all the time. believe it or not, I'm actually an idealist and an optimist most of the time. It's generally just frustration or being let down, which turns that into cynicism and negativity. 

I just don't get why you talk so much about you as a persona. 

If you need counselling there are other ways James. 

17 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

It's everything to do with the debate, because there's this weird perception that Wenger has destroyed Ox. He hasn't done anything of the kind, he has given Ox chance after chance and tried to put him in different positions to see what fits him best; but every time Wenger gives that chance, Ox fails.

I won't lie, I've never rated him. He's James Milner 2.0, a hard worker in a Uefa Cup team; and not someone you spend a decent amount of money on and put into a team that wants to win every single competition they go into. If Ox can be excused, then the whole squad can be. But truth is Ox and Co can't even accept that they aren't top players, and are unwilling to do the leg work while players like Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey create.

No not every player needs to be a leader, but if we are trying to get more English players I'd like our English spine to actually have a spine.

How many times over the last three seasons have we seen Wenger play Ox, Ox performing brilliantly only to be benched for the next game? 

I don't have enough fingers and toes. 

9 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Willian spoke about how United wanted him, however he has no desire to leave.

As for Conte not having the pull that either Mourinho or Pep has, it's difficult to say. I think in terms of a global situation, Pep and JM are a ahead purely because of the clubs they've managed. 

I think there might be a different reason to be frank. 

But it's hard for some to accept it judging by what some have said about JM in the past, and what that would actually mean for Conte. 

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Personally, I'd suggest that it's safer wait until the window actually closes, but each to his own. And just a thought, but I wonder what the players we've already bought this window, think about you deciding that this window has been a failure? 

Priceless stuff MT. 

5 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Caballero - good cover, success

Bakayako - excellent prospect, success

Marata - excellent player, success

Rudiger - looking good, success

Christiansen return - loan worked, success

Ox - if you recall Arsenal refused offers/negotiations for him until this weekend: we would have to have bid even more - so failure but with mitigating circumstances

Any others - waits to be seen

They've all been replacements to an already non-existing squad. 

No idea what you think you're demonstrating here. 

4 hours ago, Dingus said:

We may have replaced players, but we haven't added to the squad in any shape or form so my point still stands. It hasn't been a successful window however you all may try to spin it.

And whoever did the due diligence for the Ox deal should find themselves in a spot of bother this morning I feel. Who puts a bid in with a club knowing that the player favours one position whilst we want him to play in another? It reeks of amateurs at work.

Successful window? 

It's been a disaster from start to finish.  

1 hour ago, Juni said:

Basically, don't expect any academy players to play very much at all except Christensen, who was dropped off the back of being the best defender on the pitch in one of the toughest away matches of the season. That should tell you everything really.

This. If I hear another "Conte expert" claiming he gives youth a chance I think I'll explode. It's bs of the highest order. 

I can't remember a Chelsea manager who was less interested in playing youngsters than Conte is. If I were Christensen I'd hand in a transfer request asap. 

36 minutes ago, Vinod said:

We sold Chalobah because he wanted to leave.

Err... Try again mate. 

We sold Chalobah because Conte had no interest in playing him or even keeping him around the squad. Conte basically forced him out. Shameful. 

19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Can we panic now please?

The time for panic was end of June, early July.

Now it's time to prepare those P45s. 

bluehorn   

May have been touched upon already, but Monaco have secured Keita Balde (22yo) from Lazio for €30m. A very talented player, 16 goals last year, can play anywhere in forward lines, though primarily left wing. Not saying we were even interested, but evidence that while the market has generally gone berserk, there is still room for sensible deals. £25m plus for Barkley, not being one of them

Edited by bluehorn

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We sold Chalobah because Conte had no interest in playing him or even keeping him around the squad. Conte basically forced him out. Shameful. 

Chalobah has been loaned out by a succession of managers, yet it is all Conte's fault? Not any of the previous managers who didn't pick him at all?

Holymoly   
34 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I'm staying positive until 11pm tomorrow.

Can we sticky this comment please.

GURJ SS   
12 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

What's 'wow...just wow' about it?

Koeman wasn't happy with Barkley from the moment he came into Everton. That's not even a secret. He tried to mould him into something different, muted (what I believe are but he obviously didn't think were) the better parts of his game and as a result he was a less effective player.

As for Wenger and Oxlade-Chamberlain, that's been covered well enough in the last few pages, but if you think Wenger is blameless, then there's not really much I can say.

Because fans have started pointing the finger at managers rather than players, yet when it comes to our own players with potential we will say they didn't take their chance. So Chalobah getting an England call up since he left us must mean Conte is to blame for Chalobah not being able to break into our first team; because Conte doesn't know how to release potential. The reason Koeman doesn't rate Barkley is because he saw straight through the hype, and realised that Barkley hasn't got the basic footballing intelligence to be a top player; and never will.

I'm not saying Wenger is blameless, but Ox hasn't become a top player because he isn't a top player; in 6 years he has stayed where he is, no manager no matter how poor will do that; Ox has hit his ceiling and belongs at a club similar to level he once came from.

GURJ SS   
3 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

If we get desperate at least we'll have someone to call upon. Right now we don't have an alternative. 

When teams get that desperate they'll give some young lad a chance, and rightly so; sometimes that's how a gem is found. Or we do what we did against Spurs, and field our strongest team possible, it's a waste of money to bring in a player who is only usable when everyone else is out(which is a very rare occasion).

JezQ8   

I'M sure we will be making more signings by the end of the transfer window.

Just it's a bit worrying that we are wanting 4 players and have left it this late 

Zoowraa   
9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Chalobah has been loaned out by a succession of managers, yet it is all Conte's fault? Not any of the previous managers who didn't pick him at all?

I think you and Dave both have points here . Dave is right, Conte has basically force him out by not giving him a chance last season, added to not convincing him he will get a chance this season.

However, you are right, he is not the first . Chalobah was ready to be in the squad the year he played in that play off final for Watford. JM was coming back and appeared at Wembley to watch that match, we all thought he was looking at Chalobah when I think the reality was he was flirting with the media by attending that game.

He should have been a squad player that following season and if he was, he would likely be a first teamer now. Conte has bottled it in all reality,same applies with Ake, the same as JM did with the likes of Lukaku and De Bruyne to some extent. We hear how they all wanted to leave, they didn't, they all wanted to be convinced they would get a chance. Something neither manager did.

Edited by Zoowraa

GURJ SS   
9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

How many times over the last three seasons have we seen Wenger play Ox, Ox performing brilliantly only to be benched for the next game? 

I don't have enough fingers and toes.

You may have, I certainly haven't. I've seen an overhyped player who has scored 9 goals in 6 years take a few players on in non dangerous positions, which has resulted in the media having to relieve themselves all over their papers.

Barclay is a difficult one for me because once I really liked him. He reminded me a bit of Paul Gasgoine when Paul was good.  Then almost overnight he started playing like Paul Daniels. Conte has probably only seen the Paul Daniels side of him, but if  someone could switch that light bulb back on he could be a good buy at 25 mill or less. I appreciate fully that it is a bit of a punt but unfortunately that is the territory we are now in.