• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Windows should be done early, pay a bit more maybe but have your squad settled before the season starts has to be worth that bit more. good for club and player. 

bert19   
1 minute ago, exiledblue said:

Windows should be done early, pay a bit more maybe but have your squad settled before the season starts has to be worth that bit more. good for club and player. 

Agreed. 

I'm sure the board had that sort of plan in mind to be honest, just unfortunate that it often doesn't work out like that.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if the window opened the morning after the Premier League season finished and closed at midnight the day of the Community Shield game.  Get it all out of the way before a ball is kicked. 

I'm not going to get too worked up by a lot of what's gone on, obviously I'd like us to sign at least a couple more, but I also want players who actually suit the squad and bring needed qualities to the team.  January isn't too far away and I'm sure we will spend then if we need to.  Generally, I'm of the belief that we've made some excellent signings over the last 5-6 years (some of Jose's sales I found a bit more questionable). 

My only real concern is that we always seem to sell before we replace.  Might be a good idea to reverse that policy.  Chalobah, Matic etc might be useful about now! 

Ham   

That's not what I heard..... 🤔

If you think we're bad at this Transfer Market madness, let's all take a moment to remember and be thankful that we are not Arsenal...

22nd July they reject an offer from WBA for Kieran Gibbs for £10million

30th August they accept an offer from WBA for Kieran Gibbs for £7million

This may also explain why we left it so late with the Ox.

Stim   
3 minutes ago, Ham said:

That's not what I heard..... 🤔

Midfielder who doesn't want to play defence is going to a club who sees him as a long term replacement for a cm who gets played in defence

bert19   
1 minute ago, Stim said:

Midfielder who doesn't want to play defence is going to a club who sees him as a long term replacement for a cm who gets played in defence

Hey, no one ever said Liverpool fans were bright sparks...

4 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Hey, no one ever said Liverpool fans were bright sparks...

Long term replacement for the an absolute utility man... good player, but a player who could play LB one week and RW the next.

But honestly, it's not about the money.

Losing Ox is a big blow IMO. Sure, we can still tie up deals for Barkley, Llorente and Drinkwater but Ox was a player who could have suited us quite a bit.

Still, I would be ok with the remaining 3 players mentioned IF we can tie up deals in the next 24hrs. 

Think the priority here has to be damage control now. I dont think any reasonable person would have quite expected this window to have turned out the way it did but we can still salvage the situation somewhat by giving Conte some of the players needed at least to compete until January when maybe we can add more quality.

We have just come off the back of 2 excellent results as well so we shouldn't be too down IMO. 

JaneB   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

The only thing that's going to get me through tomorrow evening is a fat bottle of Jack Daniels to hopefully numb the pain.

And a Chunky Kit Kat no doubt