• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I hope you're not being 'ironic' SF. 

And I agree with what he says. Gourlay and Kenyon knew how to negotiate for players.

If you or anyone had the time or inclination to go back 10 years over this forum - look how much abuse those two got for our transfer dealings. 

Can't say I've ever actually seen Zappacosta play but I like the sound of it. Only just turned 25. Relatively low fee. Feels like a Conte signing. Followers of Serie A say he's very good going forward, if a suspect defensively. 

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

1) Yes, but it's not clear to me that Ake and Chalobah had both been told they wouldn't be part of this season's squad. It was just that they formed the impression that, even if they were, their opportunities would be limited. I see that as effectively the same as it was for the players under JM. They were told, (in Mata's case at least, quite clearly), that although he was not saying he didn't want them, he preferred someone else over them or that they didn't fit the required mould. 

2) Yes they did, because they decided there was no alternative for them because they felt that they wouldn't get a fair chance. Same as for Ake and Chalobah effectively I think. For me, in both cases the players involved reached the conclusion that they wouldn't be able to break into consideration and so chose to leave.

1. It should be clear to you, especially since Chalobah himself has said that's why he left. There's no room, or need, to speculate. 

2. How do you know? What we do know is that Lukaku asked to leave because he wanted to be an automatic starter. He stated this at the time, Mourinho confirmed and when Lukaku signed for Man U he even stated it was his 'fault' for leaving Chelsea. KDB was the same. 

Both were involved with the first team, KDB even started the season as a starter until he deservedly played himself out of the starting XI. 

There really isn't much room for interpretation here, but you and others continue do on this subject. 

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I think that the board has tried to deliver Conte what he needs, but whilst applying their principles of looking for young-ish players with sell-on value - given the high attrition rate of our squad players in recent years. So far they haven't had much success and appear to not have understood the new rules of the game this summer.

We could win the league with 13 players when we were very fortunate with injuries and had no mid-week distractions. Unless something amazing happens in the next few hours Conte will have to work miracles to get through this season unscathed.

Heads should roll, but the only likely one is the coach. Next time (possibly next summer) we'll need to build something more sustainable in a world of crazy transfer fees, which means relying on the academy to fill out the squad whilst giving promising youngsters meaningful minutes.

What's perfectly clear though is that we won't succeed in building a squad that we have to go out and buy. 

So I guess the only alternative is to get a coach who wants to play youngsters and is allowed the time needed to do so by Roman. 

For the last decade the strategy has been to not back our manager in the market while demanding the same from him as Barca or Real would do from their manager. 

Its a huge mismatch between the resources made available and the demands we place on the manager. That's why we sack a manager every 18 months. 

1 hour ago, jones said:

That is clearly over the top to suggest. 4 signings in addition to Drinkwater was never going to happen.

Huh? It's clearly over the top to expect the champions of England to have a similar squad size to our competitors? 

Us having 20 usable outfield players would still be one of the smallest squads among the top six. 

It's absolutely not over the top to expect us to at least have a reasonable squad. If others can, then surely we should be able to as well. 

The problem is that eve left it so late (as per usual) while we've happily got rid of at least 10 players that could easily have played a role for us. 

It's a **** up of epic proportions. It seems the club think that 2015/16 was a perfect storm and that it can't happen again. I wouldn't bet on it. 

Sea foot   
4 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I hope you're not being 'ironic' SF. 

And I agree with what he says. Gourlay and Kenyon knew how to negotiate for players.

Probably more moronic tbf. Just my dyslexia playing up.

GURJ SS   
11 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Sky Italy now reporting the deal for Zappacosta.

Given the Costa saga this summer, funniest transfer of the summer hands down if it happens.

They must be trolling Diego, Zappa I think means Hoe in Italian; hoe as in the garden tool but still hilarious if true!

2 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

They must be trolling Diego, Zappa I think means Hoe in Italian; hoe as in the garden tool but still hilarious if true!

He's a real player, plays for Torino and Italy.  His crossing looks excellent, and even scores a few goals.

Meanwhile, Mirror reporting Arsenal accepted bid for Sanchez.

Edited by James Prescott