• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Sea foot   

I'd love that squad. Would be great to watch for one season till we went bankrupt.

Dingus   
14 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

You literally want world class players as depth options. Not only is it incredibly unrealistic, the financial aspect is unsustainable. Let alone trying to keep everybody happy. 

Dingus by name, dingus by nature.

Of course I want top quality players as depth options. Maybe the more important question you should be asking is why you don't?

Resorting to name calling now are we? Classic sign of a lost argument.

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Conclusion of the transfer window

Accountability is something sadly missing at the club, especially at board level

Next Friday it Conte who will face the music on the club transferred dealings, while Emenalo & Co will be hiding in the background without saying a word.

Also, the clubs transfer dealings look farcical when Emenalo comes out the with statement on the Zappacosta transfer “the club had been aware of him for some time”. Had that been the situation why did the board wait until deadline day to spend 22m on him, when they could have got him the summer.

"Being aware of him" doesn't mean the same thing as "he's our number one transfer target", but I don't suppose that thought ever crossed your mind?

34 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Don't try it's a pointless argument with him. He doesn't understand it's completely impossible to have world class players across every position in a squad. Might work in Football Manager or FIFA but not in real life. The way he goes about it he essentially expects us to have Courtois, Buffon and De Gea as our three GK options.

Why is it that as soon as someone who sees themselves as a bit of an expert and disagrees with someone the FIFA/FM comparisons comes out? 

I'm 37 and haven't played either in a good 15 years. I agree with Dingus - we've messed up this window and the squad size. What are you supposed to ridicule me with? 

16 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

We have a small squad. 

Everyone seems to blame the board.

Conte seems beyond any criticism from fans but let me put it to you that maybe some of this is his fault. 

We have seen Matic, Ake and Chalobah all leave. Costa certain to follow. We have sent Zouma, Loftus-Cheek and Abraham out on loan. There are others but they are probably the most notable. 

We have also been turned down by at least 2 players this window, possibly/probably more.

Is all of this the boards fault?

Is it their fault thay we have a tiny squad yet have seen Ake, Chalobah, Matic, Loftus-Cheek, Zouma, Abraham and Costa all leave?

Is it not part of Conte's job to keep players happy? 

Is it not part of his job to bring through some of the youth players and give them enough opportunity to want to stay and improve?

I think it's quite possible that a lot of people's anger is being aimed in the wrong direction.

Interesting perspective. There is certainly a case to be made that Conte is somewhat to blame at least. 

Jose used to get absolutely hammered for having his favourites. Conte has taken that to a new whole level unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, xCELERYx said:

Chelsea Squad 2018/19 according to Dingus.

GK: Courtois, Buffon, De Gea. 

CB: Luiz, Azpi, Tiago Silva, Bonucci, Chiellini, Kompany

WB: Sando, Marcelo, Carvajal, Walker

CM: Kante, Kroos, Verratti, Pogba, Modric

AM: Hazard, Sanchez, Griezmann, Bale, Insigne

ST: Morata, Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski

Hopefully that's good enough to keep us competitive. 

You are being ridiculous and you know it. 

19 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I disagree. As I've mentioned many times, there were many many better players available at reasonable prices during this window.

Again with the whole back up thing. What happened to having a squad of players to choose from compared now and this whole first XI and back ups situation? Not at any point did I think that Ballack was a back up to Lamps and Essien. Did you? He was another awesome option to have if needed and could step in at any point and the team wouldn't suffer as a result.

As I said, you've all slowly over recent years to be conditioned that this is how it's meant to be. First 11 and then back ups.

You don't think the majority of the squad now aren't on over 100-150k a week? Come on now.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic at all. Just not settling for second best.

Who are these players? How much would they have cost in fee and wages, would that have been sustainable and would the clubs have sold to us and would the players have wanted to come here?

For Essien, see Kante, for Lampard see Fabregas and for Ballack see Bakayoko - none of the current 3 are back up for each other, they'll be paired together dependant on the opposition etc and then we also have Drinkwater as a 4th option should he be needed.

Willian isn't a back up for Pedro, the 2 will compete for the one position all season and form and opposition will dictate who plays. Very rarely have we had more than one top TOP striker to compete with Drogba - and why is that? Because not many top strikers will sit on the bench happily for the majority of the season and it's not a position you can constantly chop and change as form is key for them in front of goal.

We have 5 CBs and any 3 picked from them would keep us at reasonably the same level, the only reason Rudiger and Christensen are currently seen as the back up options is because the other 3 are the players with the shirts at the moment, based on form.

So actually, I would argue we don't have an 11 plus back ups.

I would say the majority of our current squad is on over £100k, however the very top end of that, Fabregas, Hazard, Morata etc are probably well over £200k and what I'm saying is, we can't afford 22 of those wages - 5/6 or maybe 7 of them, yes, but not 22.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

xCELERYx   
3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Why is it that as soon as someone who sees themselves as a bit of an expert and disagrees with someone the FIFA/FM comparisons comes out? 

I'm 37 and haven't played either in a good 15 years. I agree with Dingus - we've messed up this window and the squad size. What are you supposed to ridicule me with? 

Because what he's proposing is complete and utter fantasy, hence only ever going to happen in a video game. 

Dingus' main argument wasn't squad size, it's the quality of players we have/have signed. He literally wants us to have world class players across every squad position available. I have nothing to ridicule you with Dave. You're a smart individual, we may share different opinions on certain things, while we agree on others. I have nothing to ridicule you with because you haven't got your head in the clouds and proposing completely unrealistic scenarios. 

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

You are being ridiculous and you know it. 

Was kinda the point.

Dingus   
18 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Because what he's proposing is complete and utter fantasy, hence only ever going to happen in a video game. 

Dingus' main argument wasn't squad size, it's the quality of players we have/have signed. He literally wants us to have world class players across every squad position available. I have nothing to ridicule you with Dave. You're a smart individual, we may share different opinions on certain things, while we agree on others. I have nothing to ridicule you with because you haven't got your head in the clouds and proposing completely unrealistic scenarios.

"I'm sorry to burst anyones mediocrity bubble, but that is in no way shape or form an acceptable squad who is expected to challenge on four fronts this season. You are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise."

First sentence after listing the squad. So my argument was always about squad size and wanting better players added to it than we currently have.

What is wrong in me wanting better players at our football club?

As I said, maybe you should be asking yourself why you don't want better players at the club...  

You have nothing else to add to this discussion so run along.

Edited by Dingus

kratos   

I do understand where Dingus is coming from. Over a decade ago we could put out a second team that could still compete on the day. But the problem today is we do not do alot of rotating (that could always change because of the CL).

If you have 2 top quality players for every position eventually one is going to become unhappy due to not playing enough compared to the one he is competing with and as a result his performance and motivation can drop.

There's also the current financial climate where fees and wages are higher than ever been.

believe me when I say the name Danny Drinkwater never crossed my mind when the season ended but he's here now and wants to be here and I will get behind anybody who wants to be at this club and fight for it.

Edited by kratos
  • Like 1

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Finally, why do we leave such a high % our business so late which gives us no plan B if it falls through?? 

I'd hate to think that the players we ended up being limked to yesterday were our Plan A.

I get that you can't have two world class players for every position but considering are low net spend and removing some high earners off the wage bill over the last year there is definitely some wriggle room to have 2 real quality additions to the squad or even any back up LWB.

Gained nothing by leaving it late other than missing out on players and having no time to find alternatives. Ridiculous strategy.

Our rivals squads are also light in certain areas so it comes down to luck with injuries to some degree.

• Like 1