• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

BlueFizz   
23 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I get that you can't have two world class players for every position but considering are low net spend and removing some high earners off the wage bill over the last year there is definitely some wriggle room to have 2 real quality additions to the squad or even any back up LWB.

Gained nothing by leaving it late other than missing out on players and having no time to find alternatives. Ridiculous strategy.

Our rivals squads are also light in certain areas so it comes down to luck with injuries to some degree.

I won't argue that our squad is perfect, I would make the point that as a club's level rises, so it becomes both easier to attract appropriate talent and paradoxically harder to find it. Our standards rise, so the pool we shop for players in, shrinks.

No one is saying Drinkwater is Messi; but he is clearly a good player, who in better company, may become very good. 

I won't comment on Zappa as I don't know him. He obviously wasn't top choice - but neither was Alonso and that turned out ok.

As to why no Sandro or players of that level - well, we should be flattered that clubs don't want to sell to us; why strengthen potential rivals.

What we have is a strong group of 20 players, a great coach, passionate fans (?) and a committed owner. If the last few seasons show anything it's that our club 'works' and wins - and this 'got away with it' argument often made on this forum begins to wear thin.

On the principle that one never knows what one actually looks like - try asking a few non-Chelsea fans you respect what they think; on the whole my mates still see us as strong contenders and threats to their clubs.

• Like 3

bluehorn   

It is harder than ever to sign squad players. Ask yourselves, what do (most) players want? 1. Game time 2. Good money 3. Exposure 4. Trophies. No longer do you need to join a top 4 team to make elite money, when West Ham can offer you 160k a week (rumoured Chica salary) So that's one carrot gone. Players are also pragmatic, realistically there are only 2 sometimes 3 sides that can challenge for a title. Many would rather play regularly for a good team than watch from the stands and collect a medal elsewhere. As for exposure, which in turn helps with brand deals and salary, in todays world of twitter, Instagram, snapchat etc, players can easily build their brand, it's not a prerequisite to be at a champions league side to obtain this. So yes, it is harder than ever.

That being said, we'e made a real mess of this window. 

There is no shame in being rejected, whether that's for another side, because player X didn't want to upheave his family, any legitimate reasons like that. However, when the Ox rejects you INSTANTLY, before a deal has even been agreed with Liverpool, someone hasn't done their homework. Transfers are of course infinity more complicated then they appear to most fans, but I find it incredible that we didn't inform his agent before starting the negotiation process where he'd fit in at the club. He wanted to play CM and be a 1st teamer, everyone bar Chelsea knew it. "Fancy playing RWB ox?" "Nope, don't call again". We are either exceptionally arrogant and naive enough to not do our due diligence and find out if players want to join, or we are horrendous at convincing people to sign. 

We are no longer the biggest players in the market, haven't been for a long time. We don't/can't spend (net) hundreds of mil in a summer? Fine, but we have to be smarter. We have to use nous and acumen to understand that when Everton tell you on what, 4 occasions to f*** off when negotiating for Stones, they meant it. Instead we wasted an entire summer chasing him to end up with Papy Djilobodji. We did the same with Napoli and Koulibaly, Juventus and Sandro (who was our lb backup this window?) Roma and Naingollan. The transfer committee needs to be overhauled. Coming 10th didn't change our approach, TENTH! so unfortunately I don't see the overhaul coming any time soon. 

6 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I won't argue that our squad is perfect, I would make the point that as a club's level rises, so it becomes both easier to attract appropriate talent and paradoxically harder to find it. Our standards rise, so the pool we shop for players in, shrinks.

No one is saying Drinkwater is Messi; but he is clearly a good player, who in better company, may become very good. 

I won't comment on Zappa as I don't know him. He obviously wasn't top choice - but neither was Alonso and that turned out ok.

As to why no Sandro or players of that level - well, we should be flattered that clubs don't want to sell to us; why strengthen potential rivals.

What we have is a strong group of 20 players, a great coach, passionate fans (?) and a committed owner. If the last few seasons show anything it's that our club 'works' and wins - and this 'got away with it' argument often made on this forum begins to wear thin.

On the principle that one never knows what one actually looks like - try asking a few non-Chelsea fans you respect what they think; on the whole my mates still see us as strong contenders and threats to their clubs.

Exactly this.

A friend of mine who is a Spurs fans claims we have better strength in depth than them - based on the level of quality amongst our squad being a very high standard and that we don't have many 'average players' just 'filling gaps'.

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Exactly this.

A friend of mine who is a Spurs fans claims we have better strength in depth than them - based on the level of quality amongst our squad being a very high standard and that we don't have many 'average players' just 'filling gaps'.

I think what upset me most about the 15/16 year was the number of fantastic players we had whose season was destroyed because the club failed to make up the squad with enough make-weights.
It'll be the same this year too.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think what upset me most about the 15/16 year was the number of fantastic players we had whose season was destroyed because the club failed to make up the squad with enough make-weights.
It'll be the same this year too.

You read it here first folks

29 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

It frustrates me when I try to convince other fans we have a small squad - they refuse to believe it. They just say: "well you've got 900 players on loan, recall them." But what they don't realise is that our academy is a sister company under the same umbrella and has nothing to do with the first team.

On the whole I agree that, barring any injuries, our squad should do a decent job on all fronts this year. But we probably won't win anything if we try to win it all. 

2 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

In my opinion, the transfer window has been a bit of a missed oppotunity but not a disaster. For we are around 2-3 players short, with these being AM, CF, LWB. In the case of LWB, we do have Dave to fill and Zappa apprantly can play there if required, while Kenedy is an emergancy option - that is probably ok until Jan. At AM, if Musonda steps up it will not be too much of an issue but that is us hoping for a big step up from the player. The real issue is CF for me as the big issue is that Bats is not up to anything other than 3rd choice. If Morata gets injured we are pretty buggered.

Or if he doesn't step up. We are rolling the dice massively with this guy as our main striker. I know people want to put a positive spin on him but we just don't know. So far this season he has scored two goals, had two assists, missed a pen, missed an absolute sitter, fluffed several good chances and if he had left a ball to go in instead of touching it the offside flag wouldn't have been raised. He does not have a record as a prolific goal scorer in the past so I would therefore say this is a huge gamble. Llorette is the one we needed for cover and we blew it and were humiliated by Spurs who also probably whispered in Barcleys agent ear at the last knockings just because they could. 

Will Conte be doing cartwheels? I doubt he'll even manage a Robbie Kean style forward roll. Having said that I would blooody luv it if we retained the title with this thin squad. How much fun would that be. Then we can accuse the likes of City Spurs and United of trying to buy the title and failing.

p.s Ross Barclay you're a thick tit. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

bluehorn   
4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Having said that I would blooody luv it if we retained the title with this thin squad. How much fun would that be.

It would be our greatest Title win since Roman took over, comfortably too. 

Sea foot   

All our title wins have been special. 2005 because it was the first (in my lifetime). Next one because we were so good. Last year because it was so unexpected. All brilliant.

GURJ SS   

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo; 3:1

CB: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Rudiger; 5:3

RWB: Moses, Zappacosta; 2:1

LWB: Alonso, Kenedy; 2:1

CM: Kante, Bakayoyo, Fabregas, Drinkwater; 4:2

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Musonda; 4:2

CF: Morata, Batshuayi; 2:1

22 players.

GK: Sorted. CB: Sorted. RWB: Sorted. LWB: Weak cover in Kenedy(but he isn't as bad as what people make out, a young attacking mid trying his best to play LWB and make it; fair play he has a better attitude than Ox and Barkley), but we also have Azpi, Moses and Zappa to fill in if need be. CM: Sorted. AM: Sorted, Barkley ran away for a reason and that's because our 3 main AMs are top class; Musonda is the perfect 4th choice(probably won't play like any 4th choice wouldn't have, yet if he improves by training with top players it's a win for us); we also have Cesc and Moses who can play in different setups. CF: Sorted. Morata has started brilliantly, and showed he can lead the line(it's unrealistic to expect hattricks, he's new to the league but has already played a vital role in most of our goals), Bats finished last season strongly and will build on that with more game time; he needs more games and it's the perfect setup to give him that. Could we have got Belotti, yes but we'd have risked having 2 new strikers sharing game time and trying to settle at the same time, which can end in having 2 new strikers who don't ever settle.

Yes it's ideal to have cover for worst case scenarios but I think we sort of do, no team can be prepared for a major disaster and keep everyone happy. When I look at our team on a whole I see some top class individuals who are on par or better than our closest competition, I then see some top grafters who will give their all to just play; and I'd rather take those sort of players over some media hyped spoiled brats who want a easy ride.

I'm looking forward to us defending our title and putting in a serious challenge on all fronts. Every top team tries to keep the same team for both PL games and CL games, in the domestic cups we have enough quality to win them with our 2nd team. Zappacosta will be fine, a proper RWB to play RWB. Drinkwater is a excellent signing.