• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
4 minutes ago, bluehorn said:

It would be our greatest Title win since Roman took over, comfortably too. 

I can see us bringing in a couple of players in January.  Especially if we're in contention for the title.  (Providing the right targets are available). 

It does strike me somewhat that we ended up looking for English players in this window, which was probably to our detriment.

Drinkwater seems that he a) has his head screwed on and b) wanted a move to a bigger club.  So he was uncomplicated from the p.o.v. of dealing with him.  Leicester just held out for the biggest price possible. 

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a decent enough player, Arsenal for some reason didn't seem to want to sell to Liverpool when he wanted to go there.  That's up to him.  Fair enough.  If that's what he wanted, didn't really matter what we did.  We wanted a player and made that clear with a bid, he wanted to go somewhere else.  I suspect that happens a lot in football, just this case seemed to be made public very quickly.  Not sure why. 

Barkley just seems like a dodged bullet.  Not fit to play until November, so bit of a pointless buy now when he'd likely be half the price or less in January.  Then add on his reputation and recent performances.  Then take into account whatever happened yesterday.  And having to deal with Everton.  Doesn't paint the most rosey of pictures.  We may be better staying away.  I strongly suspect that £30m can go towards a much better target. 

Overall, I think we've bought well in this window.  Lots of players aged 23-27 with hunger to win (or win more). 

- Caballero is s solid back up. Premier League experienced too. 

- Rudiger looks a very capable defender (and being in the German NT at the moment is not to be sneered at).

- Bakayoko is going to be fantastic for us.

- Drinkwater is an experienced, more than useful Premier League winner and by all accounts a good dressing room presence and highly regarded by his team-mates.  

- Morata is a highly exciting prospect.  Not necessarily the finished article, but the early signs are good and he has the look of someone who wants to prove his worth with this move.  

- Zappacosta was the sort of left-field signing that we often do well with (Moses, Azpi and Alonso all strike me as similar sorts of signings).  His stats are impressive and he seems to have the physical and technical attributes to fulfill the role Conte wants him for.  

- Christensen is essentially a new player and so far looks a quality addition to the squad.  Hopefully he's utilised and given opportunities.  His performances so far have certainly done him no harm.  Strikes me as a quslity defender. 

We could have done with a couple more players in (perhaps a good AM and another striker), but to be honest, with some of the prices being banded about for average players in this window, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if there are two or three targets that the club are prepared to wait 6-12 months for as they weren't really achievable or within budget now (Belotti could fit this profile for example) and a few more that we obviously just said "No Thanks" to when we saw the prices/wage demands involved. It's also quite possible that Tammy Abraham and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are very much in the club's longer-term plans and very much in mind as squad additions for next summer should they have good loan spells. 

The latter stages of the window certainly didn't seem to hit the heights many of us had hoped for, but we've definitely brought in some very promising talent.  Perhaps we need to focus on that a bit more. 

• Like 1

Ham   

Is there something about Riyad Mahrez that we don't know about? Why has nobody bought him from Leicester........ Again? 

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Is there something about Riyad Mahrez that we don't know about? Why has nobody bought him from Leicester........ Again? 

I'm wondering if he got caught in the Arsenal failing to shift Sanchez scenario ?

bluehorn   
3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm wondering if he got caught in the Arsenal failing to shift Sanchez scenario ?

That apparently fell through because Arsenal didn't have a replacement sealed, which from all accounts was meant to be Lemar who politely told them to do one. Does seem odd that he remains at Leicester. There have been links to Barcelona however, possibly a back up to Coutinho? 

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

I read that no one was willing to match Leicester's 50m asking price. Did read we offered 45m but no idea if that's accurate. Also read that the owner ultimately changed his mind about selling him. 

bluehorn   

Good post Bert and you're right, Abraham and RLC could be great additions next year. RLC is an interesting one, like many others I saw a guy who played with a cigar in his mouth, looking like he was playing within himself, maybe a little too cocksure? However watching him against Liverpool I saw dynamism and bravery for the first time. Perhaps what I mistook as arrogance was actually the opposite, he was intimidated, or at least nervous when he made cameos for us (with good reason too I might add). This year is a bigger concern, and whilst we've just about put a decent squad size together, I can't help but wish for that 1 statement signing, that 1 "we're champions and this is going to elevate us" signing. That said I'm so excited to see Hazard link up with Morata, the latters movement should help Hazard immensely. 

Edited by bluehorn

Kezza   
4 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I read that no one was willing to match Leicester's 50m asking price. Did read we offered 45m but no idea if that's accurate. Also read that the owner ultimately changed his mind about selling him. 

Nice to be able to refuse a player moving irregardless what he wants. VDV, Sanchez another example. Wish we could do the same with Matic. It will be necessary next summer with Hazard.

Edited by Kezza

bluehorn   
3 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Nice to be able to refuse a player moving irregardless what he wants. VDV, Sanchez another example. Wish we could do the same with Matic. It will be necessary next summer with Hazard.

And Thibaut 

33 minutes ago, Ham said:

Spanish window still open to move to Barca