• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Or if he doesn't step up. We are rolling the dice massively with this guy as our main striker. I know people want to put a positive spin on him but we just don't know. So far this season he has scored two goals, had two assists, missed a pen, missed an absolute sitter, fluffed several good chances and if he had left a ball to go in instead of touching it the offside flag wouldn't have been raised. He does not have a record as a prolific goal scorer in the past so I would therefore say this is a huge gamble. Llorette is the one we needed for cover and we blew it and were humiliated by Spurs who also probably whispered in Barcleys agent ear at the last knockings just because they could. 

Will Conte be doing cartwheels? I doubt he'll even manage a Robbie Kean style forward roll. Having said that I would blooody luv it if we retained the title with this thin squad. How much fun would that be. Then we can accuse the likes of City Spurs and United of trying to buy the title and failing.

p.s Ross Barclay you're a thick tit. 

The same was said of Costa, Drogba and others. No transfer is 100% guaranteed to be a success purely because players are like you and me (and maybe even Droy, who knows?)... human beings!

Instead of constantly running down our players, have a break, have a Mars bar!!! ;-)

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo; 3:1

CB: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Rudiger; 5:3

RWB: Moses, Zappacosta; 2:1

LWB: Alonso, Kenedy; 2:1

CM: Kante, Bakayoyo, Fabregas, Drinkwater; 4:2

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Musonda; 4:2

CF: Morata, Batshuayi; 2:1

22 players.

GK: Sorted. CB: Sorted. RWB: Sorted. LWB: Weak cover in Kenedy(but he isn't as bad as what people make out, a young attacking mid trying his best to play LWB and make it; fair play he has a better attitude than Ox and Barkley), but we also have Azpi, Moses and Zappa to fill in if need be. CM: Sorted. AM: Sorted, Barkley ran away for a reason and that's because our 3 main AMs are top class; Musonda is the perfect 4th choice(probably won't play like any 4th choice wouldn't have, yet if he improves by training with top players it's a win for us); we also have Cesc and Moses who can play in different setups. CF: Sorted. Morata has started brilliantly, and showed he can lead the line(it's unrealistic to expect hattricks, he's new to the league but has already played a vital role in most of our goals), Bats finished last season strongly and will build on that with more game time; he needs more games and it's the perfect setup to give him that. Could we have got Belotti, yes but we'd have risked having 2 new strikers sharing game time and trying to settle at the same time, which can end in having 2 new strikers who don't ever settle.

Yes it's ideal to have cover for worst case scenarios but I think we sort of do, no team can be prepared for a major disaster and keep everyone happy. When I look at our team on a whole I see some top class individuals who are on par or better than our closest competition, I then see some top grafters who will give their all to just play; and I'd rather take those sort of players over some media hyped spoiled brats who want a easy ride.

I'm looking forward to us defending our title and putting in a serious challenge on all fronts. Every top team tries to keep the same team for both PL games and CL games, in the domestic cups we have enough quality to win them with our 2nd team. Zappacosta will be fine, a proper RWB to play RWB. Drinkwater is a excellent signing.

100% agree with your assessment. I think we'll acquit ourselves more than decently, and far better than all the doom-mongers will have us believe.

bert19   
28 minutes ago, bluehorn said:

Good post Bert and you're right, Abraham and RLC could be great additions next year. RLC is an interesting one, like many others I saw a guy who played with a cigar in his mouth, looking like he was playing within himself, maybe a little too cocksure? However watching him against Liverpool I saw dynamism and bravery for the first time. Perhaps what I mistook as arrogance was actually the opposite, he was intimidated, or at least nervous when he made cameos for us (with good reason too I might add). This year is a bigger concern, and whilst we've just about put a decent squad size together, I can't help but wish for that 1 statement signing, that 1 "we're champions and this is going to elevate us" signing. That said I'm so excited to see Hazard link up with Morata, the latters movement should help Hazard immensely. 

Interesting points about RLC and ones I largely agree with.  Strikes me that he has lots of ability, but hasn't quite managed to show it.  I think some time away in the Premier League getting to grips with what the League demands of its better players could be of huge benefit to him (if however he isn't getting games at Palace, then he should be brought back in January).  

He's often struck me as a player who strolls about like Ballack did, except without showing the work rate and overall quality of Ballack.  He does however have a whole list of attributes that one would think should serve him well in the Premiership.  If he can work it out in the near future, he could be some player. 

I also understand your point about a "statement" signing.  I think that could have been Morata had he been brought in to play with a player of Costa's presence rather than as his replacement.  I have a feeling we might see that sort of big signing before too long though, quite probably to play with Morata (probably meaning Michy is moved on).  I have a suspicion it will be Belotti, but I could be wrong there. 

Having been at the game on Sunday and seeing Morata live for the first time, I would hope your idea of Morata being of great use to Hazard comes to fruition.  Really liked the look of him up front from what I saw. 

25 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Nice to be able to refuse a player moving irregardless what he wants. VDV, Sanchez another example. Wish we could do the same with Matic. It will be necessary next summer with Hazard.

Have to say Kezza I don't agree with the point re: Hazard.  If he chooses to leave next summer, he'll have served six seasons with us and for me that more than warrants an opportunity to go and play elsewhere.  He'd command an absolutely huge transfer fee and when it comes to circumstances like that, I'd say we'd be better off setting the price, taking the money to re-invest and sending him off with nothing but our best wishes.  Things move on and so do players.  We'd be much better off not acting like Liverpool about it.  

Window closed, we couldnt and can't change anything about the inadequate way Emenlo has dealt with it. Divisions aside and start backing our champions. We have the best starting 11/14 in the league lets hope they stay fit and away from bans

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Is there something about Riyad Mahrez that we don't know about? Why has nobody bought him from Leicester........ Again? 

I got the impression that at the last minute, the owners decided he wasn't for sale after all. Maybe the only clubs interested were Premiership clubs and while selling to Bayern, for example, might seem acceptable, selling to a direct rival wasn't.

Sea foot   
2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I got the impression that at the last minute, the owners decided he wasn't for sale after all. Maybe the only clubs interested were Premiership clubs and while selling to Bayern, for example, might seem acceptable, selling to a direct rival wasn't.

I can't remember Bournmouth and Stoke bidding for him. 😃😃

Kezza   
6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I got the impression that at the last minute, the owners decided he wasn't for sale after all. Maybe the only clubs interested were Premiership clubs and while selling to Bayern, for example, might seem acceptable, selling to a direct rival wasn't.

So that makes us the only club who thinks that selling to a direct rival is acceptable.

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

but I don't suppose that thought ever crossed your mind?

Sticks and Stones

Have a nice day Bob

Faramir   
5 hours ago, Dingus said:

I put this in the squad status thread but I'll put it in here as well as it will get seen by more people.

So barring injuries, the first team will be:

Courtois

Cahill Luiz Azpilicueta

Moses Kante Bakayoko Alonso

Pedro Morata Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Rudiger, Christensen, Fabregas, Willian, Drinkwater, Batshuayi

With the likes of Kenedy and Musonda lurking in the background.

I'm sorry to burst anyones mediocrity bubble, but that is in no way shape or form an acceptable squad who is expected to challenge on four fronts this season. You are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

Be honest, is anyone confident of Michy actually coming off the bench and being a significant game changer if the chips are down or if Morata gets a significant injury? Jury's out on that one for me. I'd say there was more chance of Conte using Hazard as a striker if need be than starting Michy.

Drinkwater? Pass.

Willian? Hit and miss. Great work ethic but his decision making is awful.

Cesc is the only one I could accept that could come on and potentially unlock a defence if required. But again, not a true game changer is he...

But that's it. That's all we have.

How anyone can say that the window was a success or anything close to that has bought into the notion that it's acceptable to have a good first XI and then merely pad out a bench with so so players.

Talk about the glass being half empty.

Some Chelsea supporters have become very entitled, angry, and pessimistic.

Hoping for optimism, determination, and a pragmatic approach once more from Conte as he leads the charge. C'mon you Blues!

Faramir   
5 hours ago, SS_89 said:

What exactly do you want? Top class players on the bench? Reality check those players aren't content being bench warmers anymore given they can now get those wages and first team football at other clubs. Gone are the 2004-2010 years where we could have nearly 2 world class players in every position.

Do I think the squad is perfect? Not even close but do I want to buy into the circlejerk of negativity around here? Absolutely not. I do wonder if some of you even enjoy watching or supporting Chelsea given how badly you feel the club is doing.

Awesome post!