• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Sciatika   

If he decided not to join us because someone's phone was switched off and he couldn't be arsed to wait then I doubt he had what it takes in mental strength to play for CFC.

Says a lot about our faith in both how transfers are conducted at the club and Barkley, that such a scenario is even entertained as plausible.

Can't wait till January for more high-jinks and japery...

46 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

If he decided not to join us because someone's phone was switched off and he couldn't be arsed to wait then I doubt he had what it takes in mental strength to play for CFC.

I'd say just the opposite.  If the first team coach does not have his phone switched on for the final day of the window, knowing there are 3 big money (well £20m+ is big money to me) signings to be done, I'd be pretty worried as a new player.

In fact I'd be seriously worried that I might turn up to work on the Monday and not find the boss there.  Strength of character is saying no, rather than taking the money anyway.

42 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

Says a lot about our faith in both how transfers are conducted at the club and Barkley, that such a scenario is even entertained as plausible.

Indeed.  The numbers in the squad, Costa, the phones, the involvement of the coach or not.  Something is short term wrong.  Not just long term issues.  But it looks like something could explode any day.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes it was.  But still a major Fxxx up by manager/directors all the same.

I assume you agree with me that the **** up was to let too many of the usable players go, and not that we didn't buy enough (6 new players is quite substantial I'd have thought). 

But a **** up nonetheless - yes. 

19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'd say just the opposite.  If the first team coach does not have his phone switched on for the final day of the window, knowing there are 3 big money (well £20m+ is big money to me) signings to be done, I'd be pretty worried as a new player.

In fact I'd be seriously worried that I might turn up to work on the Monday and not find the boss there.  Strength of character is saying no, rather than taking the money anyway.

Of course , we should use Joey Barton as a barometer of truth , because he'd know for sure.

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I assume you agree with me that the **** up was to let too many of the usable players go, and not that we didn't buy enough (6 new players is quite substantial I'd have thought). 

Yup. People are being very quick lament the "lack of signings" but when was the last time we signed 6 players in one window, all of whom who are immeadiately part of the first team squad? 

If we'd had kept just two of the outgoing players, the squad could have looked a lot stronger. 

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yes & Yes.  We had a stack of elderly support players back in 2012 - and four suspensions in a CL final.  But it is more complex than that.  You can't keep a man like JT if you only give him LC games and post celebration "testimonial" time.  
Managing a full squad so that more than 1 players remain usable (rather than train and lose interest) is a difficult skill, and hard to pull off for new-to-a-club managers.  If you don't do it properly, though, many of those players become no longer usable (not to your club, and perhaps to nobody - and their transfer value collapses too).

But I don't want to get too much into how and why the Fxxx up happened, because that leads to blaming individuals (which on hear means going back to old targets, not looking at new evidence).  

I'm more interested in what happens next - on the field (where I predict 15/16 type struggles) and off the field where I feel the directors/manager team can't all remain together for more than a month.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Of course , we should use Joey Barton as a barometer of truth , because he'd know for sure.

You should read this thread if you want my comment on that:

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

The Barton Barklay story (that he walked because Conte's phone was turned off and he couldn't speak to him) sounds to me both entirely made up, and almost certainly true.  Certainly a very good guess at what happened.

...on today's episode of 'What does..

maxresdefault.jpg

...he 'finks' he knows what happened to Barkley.

BBL5B1.jpg

...meanwhile

Lying%20on%20the%20beach%20preview.jpg

Tune in January to see how this cliff hanger ends.....*spoiler - the manager goes like every other season*