• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   

Absolutely stupid decision. Will only result in teams hiking up prices further for EPL clubs knowing they need to do business within a shorter time frame. EPL sides will now be further disadvantaged compared to other Euro teams with other leagues still able to do business for a further 3-4 weeks. The fact teams can still sell players beyond this date is going to mean not being able to find replacements if offered deals for players that simply cannot be refused. Then you're going to see clubs complain when key players get injured early on and cannot be replaced. Next summer being a World Cup year is going to also give EPL sides even less time to do business. 

Such a change only works if it applies to all leagues. This is just shooting EPL clubs shooting themselves in the foot.

Dingus   

I guess the overall move to moving the transfer deadline is that you don't get instances where Ox played for Arsenal against Liverpool, probably pretty much knowing that he was going to sign for Liverpool a few days later.

As the PL is the biggest league in the world and has gone for this change, other leagues might decide to follow suit - by all accounts, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 are in favour of doing the same. Someone had to make the move first and the PL decided it was going to be them.

WIll it be detrimental to the PL clubs? Quite possibly, especially with clubs like ourselves who are quite happy to leave doing business right up until the deadline.

But it's done now so we'll just have to see how it fares next summer.

Lampsie   
7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Absolutely stupid decision. Will only result in teams hiking up prices further for EPL clubs knowing they need to do business within a shorter time frame. EPL sides will now be further disadvantaged compared to other Euro teams with other leagues still able to do business for a further 3-4 weeks. The fact teams can still sell players beyond this date is going to mean not being able to find replacements if offered deals for players that simply cannot be refused. Then you're going to see clubs complain when key players get injured early on and cannot be replaced. Next summer being a World Cup year is going to also give EPL sides even less time to do business. 

Such a change only works if it applies to all leagues. This is just shooting EPL clubs shooting themselves in the foot.

I totally agree, it could be a big mess if the Deadlines are so far apart....Other European clubs wouldn't sell on time as well as they need to get replacements in place..but they wouldn't be planning so soon as they would have more time for than their English counterparts...I think this change could actually trigger a lot more transfers between English clubs...

A lot of good planning would be required from English clubs and given our board's recent history, already reasons to worry I guess...

paulw66   
13 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Exactly. It is a huge c*ck up. Stupidly people think it will correct problems of squad disruption after the season has started when in fact a Barcelona could still bid for a Countinho, like this season, but the selling club is then unable to buy a replacement. 

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Exactly. It is a huge c*ck up. Stupidly people think it will correct problems of squad disruption after the season has started when in fact a Barcelona could still bid for a Countinho, like this season, but the selling club is then unable to buy a replacement. 

On balance I agree a bad decision, and a handicap for the Prem.  On the other hand, the prem as a league does have the most money, and a lot more transfer chains hang on PL decisions than on say Spanish league decisions.

The big rivals to the prem (RM, Barca, PSG & BM) buy about 1 big money name from the Prem each year together.  Most PL clubs import 2 or more players from Europe, with most of those transfers being major sales by the European clubs.

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

But then, Paul, the 'selling club' doesn't have to sell, do they, no matter when the bid comes in? Just like Liverpool didn't with Coutinho this window. I agree that it would be better (and make complete sense) if all the European windows started and closed at the same time (and  I think that will happen in the not too distant future), but I really can't see how this move is a mistake.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

But then, Paul, the 'selling club' doesn't have to sell, do they, no matter when the bid comes in? Just like Liverpool didn't with Coutinho this window. I agree that it would be better (and make complete sense) if all the European windows started and closed at the same time (and  I think that will happen in the not too distant future), but I really can't see how this move is a mistake.

If a stupid bid came in for the likes of Hazard the board would no doubt accept it and we'd be screwed. Terrible decision. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

If a stupid bid came in for the likes of Hazard the board would no doubt accept it and we'd be screwed. Terrible decision. 

Mate no offence, but to be honest I think  to call this decision 'terrible' because of some mythical bid for Hazard that might come in after a window is closed (possibly sometime in the future), and then be accepted by the Board, really is a stretch. 

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

What happens if say a bid comes in late for a key player, unsettles them, and then said player puts in transfer request or goes all Diego Costa? Keeping the player means you're stuck with a unsettled player who doesn't want to be here. This can have a roll on effect throughout the squad and be quite disruptive. If he's sold, then the club is stuck without being able to sign a replacement. 

Probably also a good chance we'll see players who move to the EPL or are already here start to request to have release clauses in their contracts when they sign/re-sign. If a club then activates this clause on or after the window closes for EPL sides, they're then helpless and can't replace said player. 

This has the potential to end up completely pear shaped for EPL sides when it's not something being enforced across Europe.

32 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

What happens if say a bid comes in late for a key player, unsettles them, and then said player puts in transfer request or goes all Diego Costa? Keeping the player means you're stuck with a unsettled player who doesn't want to be here.

Is this situation any different to what happens now just because the date's been moved from next season? Coutinho? Sanchez? van Dijk? Not all 'late bids' if you like, but the outcome is exactly the same as far as I can see.