• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Sea foot   

STrouble with these release clauses are that with the transfer prices spinning out of control , a relatively small bid could activate it. Three years ago, putting a clause in for Hazard for 60 mil would have looked good, today not so.

Ham   
5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate no offence, but to be honest I think  to call this decision 'terrible' because of some mythical bid for Hazard that might come in after a window is closed (possibly sometime in the future), and then be accepted by the Board, really is a stretch. 

The decision to close our window before other countries is the terrible decision, not a mythical decision to sell Hazard. 

I really don't think it's a stretch at all that Real, Barca or PSG could make a monster bid for Hazard after our window closed. 

But that was your reasoning, wasn't it? 

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

I really don't think it's a stretch at all that Real, Barca or PSG could make a monster bid for Hazard after our window closed. 

They could make such a bid at any time, not just after our window closed (what real advantage would that give them?), and changing the window back won't stop them if they really want the player. You think that this is a terrible decision, and I don't get the logic (if there is any, instead of emotion). So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Sciatika   

I am in favour because I don't think we should start the season with incomplete squads. I would prefer it to be the same across Europe but I doubt that will happen. Maybe it should be extended to both buying and selling players. I.e. a club cannot buy or sell a player to another clubs outside the window but I am not sure that's necessary. Maybe we should see how it goes.

I would also prefer it if players paid for their own agents. Also, agents should not be alowed to act for more than one party in any given deal.

In some ways, I think it would be better if just had something more like a standard employment contract with no expiry date and where both the player and the club has the right to give formal notice to leave at the end of a given season. The notice from either party has be given no later than the end of December of the previous year. There is no compensation for loss of contract years and hence no transfer fees. Clubs can choose to encourage loyalty as they see fit maybe bound up in their salaries (I.e. an ongoing per-annum increase for staying with the same club).

PS Does anyone know why MT is doing a Dele Alli impression?

Edited by Sciatika

Ham   
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

But that was your reasoning, wasn't it? 

They could make such a bid at any time, not just after our window closed (what real advantage would that give them?), and changing the window back won't stop them if they really want the player. You think that this is a terrible decision, and I don't get the logic (if there is any, instead of emotion). So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

My reasoning is that a European rival could strengthen their team whilst weakening ours and we wouldn't be able to replace the outgoing player. By buying our player after our window closed they benefit.

There's no emotion in my point. Just logic in my opinion.

• Like 1

In reality , all the Premier League clubs are really voting to stop themselves playing fast and loose with their opponents in the league .

All it really needed was a tacit agreement between the clubs to try not to break their word and that could have sufficed.

Now as Ham says , one of the big three can make a ridiculously high bid and you then cannot get anyone in regardless of where you're buying them from.

Madness.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Now as Ham says , one of the big three can make a ridiculously high bid and you then cannot get anyone in regardless of where you're buying them from.

Madness.

Then you don't sell because you can't replace them, teams generally don't want to lose their top players for any amount of money. The issue I have is not that you can't accept the money it's more that you think you have your squad for the season, they make the bid and unsettle the player who then has their head turned, hands in a transfer request, goes jet skiing with their pooch etc. Not having that happen between English clubs will help but not eradicate the problem and in reality there are only 4-5 foreign teams that can have that pull for the player and can financially outmuscle a Prem team these days so it won't happen often but is more likely to affect the teams with the better players.

Sea foot   

It's the scenario where there are two clubs in a bidding war for a top PL player. One from Abroad and one from Blighty. Gives the European team a big advantage having them extra weeks IMO.

Edited by Sea foot

If a European team wants a premier league player then their best bet will be to sign them early so the selling club can then replace them before the window shuts. Leaving it until the window shuts will make it so much harder for the selling club to agree to sell.

Trying to buy premier league players after our window shuts will be no advantage to them whatsoever.  I'm amazed people are thinking it will.

Edited by Martin1905

xCELERYx   
20 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

If a European team wants a premier league player then their best bet will be to sign them early so the selling club can then replace them before the window shuts. Leaving it until the window shuts will make it so much harder for the selling club to agree to sell.

Trying to buy premier league players after our window shuts will be no advantage to them whatsoever.  I'm amazed people are thinking it will.

Or a Euro side can wait until the EPL window shuts. Target a clubs best players, unsettle them and see what unfolds. Either way, the EPL club being affected isn't going to win. They either have to sell said player and can't replace them. Or they keep said player against the players wishes and are now stuck with a disgruntled player among the ranks. And as we tend to see already, most clubs stop playing a player once they're being targeted and firm bids being made. So, the EPL club tends to be without their star player initially, then have to try and integrate them back into the side later on. 

Think of it this way. If the EPL window closes and then Real Madrid bid for Courtois, who then in turn decides he wants to leave and tries to push through a move. It would be hard to play him further until matter is resolved - which is likely the closure of the transfer window for the Euro side. We'd potentially be left in a position where we'd have to play Willy for a 3-4 week period of time, if not longer. While not the worst case, it isn't something that is going to aid a title challenge or to make strong start to the season. 

Edited by xCELERYx