• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

Lampsie   

I really don't get this rule of being able to Sell but not Buy after the window has closed for a particular country, makes no sense whatsoever...A transfer can mean either buy or sell and when we say close of transfer window it should mean both... I feel the window should start and end together for all leagues or prevent a club from BOTH buying and selling after the window is shut...allowing one but not the other is just stupid and at the moment leaves the English clubs vulnerable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

I wonder why players don't feel insulted when people say they can be so easily unsettled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Or a Euro side can wait until the EPL window shuts. Target a clubs best players, unsettle them and see what unfolds. Either way, the EPL club being affected isn't going to win.

How many Euro sides are there in Europe that can unsettle a player with an offer much better than his PL club can offer?  5?  In the whole of Europe. 

95% of the unsettling of key players between Europe and England is done by English clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
On 9/10/2017 at 8:07 AM, Martin1905 said:

If a European team wants a premier league player then their best bet will be to sign them early so the selling club can then replace them before the window shuts. Leaving it until the window shuts will make it so much harder for the selling club to agree to sell.

Trying to buy premier league players after our window shuts will be no advantage to them whatsoever.  I'm amazed people are thinking it will.

I don't think people are saying it is an advantage to European clubs trying to buy PL players BUT with next year's rules, with the UK closing the window early, Real or Barca could try and buy a Hazard, a Coutinho etc after our deadline has closed. If this happens, yes, the English club could say no, but there is a high risk of that player being unsettled and wanting to go. If that player is desperate to go, you are left with 2 options; 1. you make the player stay, and you have an unhappy chappy on your hands, or 2. you sell for the best possible price, but in the event of scenario 2, the English club cannot go and buy a replacement. 

It is also a poor idea for other reasons:

1. clubs are now limited to do deals from 1 July to 9 August = more panic, more chaos. Like Xmas shopping in the week leading up to Xmas

2. As it currently stands, manager's get to have a look at 3 competitive games to gage their squad and potentially make a late call.......do we need another striker? do we need an extra midfield player........whatever it may be. 

It's a poorly thought out idea IMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think people are saying it is an advantage to European clubs trying to buy PL players BUT with next year's rules, with the UK closing the window early, Real or Barca could try and buy a Hazard, a Coutinho etc after our deadline has closed.

It seems to me that the big moves are done earlier in the window, not as sudden impulse buys in late August. 

In the case of Coutinho, Liverpool clearly got an offer well before the end of the window, they said no and he didn't go.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
41 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It seems to me that the big moves are done earlier in the window, not as sudden impulse buys in late August. 

In the case of Coutinho, Liverpool clearly got an offer well before the end of the window, they said no and he didn't go.
 

And now he's "injured".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think people are saying it is an advantage to European clubs trying to buy PL players BUT with next year's rules, with the UK closing the window early, Real or Barca could try and buy a Hazard, a Coutinho etc after our deadline has closed. If this happens, yes, the English club could say no, but there is a high risk of that player being unsettled and wanting to go. If that player is desperate to go, you are left with 2 options; 1. you make the player stay, and you have an unhappy chappy on your hands, or 2. you sell for the best possible price, but in the event of scenario 2, the English club cannot go and buy a replacement. 

I just think there is a handful of clubs who might want to buy an even smaller handful of players this may be applicable to. I doubt those type of deals can be done in two weeks without any groundwork done before hand.

I think the players this applies too, Hazard, Sanchez, Coutinho etc will have to accept that if a bid comes in for them after our deadline then it will be rejected out of hand. After all if you are Hazard and you know Madrid want you and you want to leave it may well leave you extremely pissed off with them if they left it that late knowing that the bid will be rejected. 

Premier league players will be completely aware that 99% of bids received after our deadline will be rejected. If they really want to leave they will have to push for a move early in the window.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

It is also a poor idea for other reasons:

1. clubs are now limited to do deals from 1 July to 9 August = more panic, more chaos. Like Xmas shopping in the week leading up to Xmas

But we can do deals long before the 1st July, we just can't officially sign them until then.  Between the middle of May, when the season ends and the 9th August should be plenty of time.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

2. As it currently stands, manager's get to have a look at 3 competitive games to gage their squad and potentially make a late call.......do we need another striker? do we need an extra midfield player........whatever it may be. 

It's a poorly thought out idea IMO 

I really think a manager should be aware of what he needs without needing three games to tell them. 

The positive of having your squad in place before the season starts far outweighs any negatives for me. I appreciate I'm in the minority but I think getting your business done early and having your full squad ready before the start of the season is a huge benefit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I just think there is a handful of clubs who might want to buy an even smaller handful of players this may be applicable to. I doubt those type of deals can be done in two weeks without any groundwork done before hand.
......

Neatly put, Yes.  It is a very small handful.

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

But we can do deals long before the 1st July, we just can't officially sign them until then.  Between the middle of May, when the season ends and the 9th August should be plenty of time.

Yup - next season planning starts in February, if not earlier for some players.

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I really think a manager should be aware of what he needs without needing three games to tell them. 

Very true.  Of course some managers need the three games to tell the directors!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

. clubs are now limited to do deals from 1 July to 9 August = more panic, more chaos. Like Xmas shopping in the week leading up to Xmas

2. As it currently stands, manager's get to have a look at 3 competitive games to gage their squad and potentially make a late call.......do we need another striker? do we need an extra midfield player........whatever it may be. 

It's a poorly thought out idea IMO 

If Conte decided to walk in May, it will take the club about 4 weeks to appoint a successor, who goes straight into pre-season training without half the squad who are at the WC, and will report back late as they are given extra time off. Giving him or her “PC” 2 weeks to assess the full squad and do buying and selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

 

The positive of having your squad in place before the season starts far outweighs any negatives for me. I appreciate I'm in the minority but I think getting your business done early and having your full squad ready before the start of the season is a huge benefit. 

Nobody is disagreeing with that statement in bold though. Clubs can still do that under the current system. If a club (whoever it is) gets all their deals done in July, even though the deadline is end of August then good for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now