• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

But we can do deals long before the 1st July, we just can't officially sign them until then.  Between the middle of May, when the season ends and the 9th August should be plenty of time.

I wonder if there's actually any good reason that the window can't officially open on say, the day after the Premier League season concludes?

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

If Conte decided to walk in May, it will take the club about 4 weeks to appoint a successor, who goes straight into pre-season training without half the squad who are at the WC, and will report back late as they are given extra time off. Giving him or her “PC” 2 weeks to assess the full squad and do buying and selling.

Nobody decides to walk in May - only the press pretend that.  Just as few transfer plans are made after April - clubs have their strategy worked out by February or March.

28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Nobody decides to walk in May - only the press pretend that.  Just as few transfer plans are made after April - clubs have their strategy worked out by February or March.

It certainly seems quite a lot of our business was not concluded by April though. 

I don't think that deals are closed that soon. Some are yes. But I think that's more of an exception to the normal rule. I reckon most deals are concluded during the window itself. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

It certainly seems quite a lot of our business was not concluded by April though. 

I don't think that deals are closed that soon. Some are yes. But I think that's more of an exception to the normal rule. I reckon most deals are concluded during the window itself. 

You say concluded in the window (I can't disagree).  I say planned in the Spring.  I agree that between Spring plans and August harvest a lot can go wrong (or change for the better).  But I can't possibly imagine that a manager leaving would leave the club unprepared for the window.  
As for this season, 4 key purchases were made by July 21, and just 2 later.  Of these Drinkwater appears to have been wanted for some weeks in advance (we were heavily linked to pretty much every Leicester player over the window, which to me suggests there were talks about one player but no press could work out which).  And only Zappacosta seems a late change instead of Ox-C.  

The mad scrabble for players which you and I were hoping for just didn't happen.  The club seems to have decided on its scrawny squad size back in March or April - certainly by the time they went for 3 overseas GKs.

The alternative explanation (that you are trying to explain) is downright scary. It would mean the club actively knew the squad size could/would be this bad and that they were fine with it. 

If that's the case, the calls for incompetence has even more credibility. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The alternative explanation (that you are trying to explain) is downright scary. It would mean the club actively knew the squad size could/would be this bad and that they were fine with it. 

I think we have to assume that.  Otherwise, first they would have acted much much sooner.  Second* they'd have kept some loan players back as insurance.  Third, while this is almost as bad as 15/16, it is not as though other years have had a full squad either.

The big clue - which I mentioned at the time, was the early choice of 3 foreign GKs, Courtois, Cabellero and Eduardo, which given that 2 long term English men were on their way out (4 if you include Ake and Chalobah) guaranteed that the squad size would not be large.

*Or perhaps as Juni and Chiswickblue often suggest, the first team business and the player development business are only sister companies, with independent decisions rights.  Kind of them to loan us short term Ake and Chalobah last year.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Part 2 - the board.
When Ron Gourlay resigned 3 years ago (anyone remember why?  not me) it seemed to me likely that Marina Granovskaia would not just take more responsibility, but eventually take over as Chief Executive.  But I heard recently somewhere that a Head Hunting firm now has the task of finding the new CE.  So perhaps that means there is some recognition of failure (which for those in the know should have been clear much earlier than to those of us hoping for August 31st miracles).  Or maybe it is just a sop to an unhappy Conte.

Somethings have been done very well.

• The decision to invest very heavily in semi proven young talent (Lukaku, Oscar, KdB and many others) worked out very very successfully around 2012 .
  • The clear out of old players (Cech/JT/Lampard etc) went very smoothly, with most going a year or two early rather than the far worse year or two late.
  • The choice of the last two managers, JM and Conte has at least initially been very very successful (and in contrast to previous disasters - AVB, Scolari etc.)  
  • And in most years the tiny first team squads has meant we have avoided many transfer failures

But others have gone  wrong

• We have spent buckets on unproven young talent (the Academy) at great net cost to date.
  • FFP which should have been so useful to us (as late entrants to the super club gang) has been blown apart of PSG and MC and we have done nothing to stop that.
  • Based on success we should be 2nd to Man U in revenues by now, yet it seems as though we are losing relatively to Liverpool and Spurs, while Man U and City are heading off to new territory.

Stim   

We did act soon though. Rudiger, Morata and Bakayoko were all signed in the first 19 days of the window

21 minutes ago, Stim said:

We did act soon though. Rudiger, Morata and Bakayoko were all signed in the first 19 days of the window

I know - and that convinces me that the current sized squad, +/-1 was planned, not an accident.

paulw66   
16 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

• Based on success we should be 2nd to Man U in revenues by now, yet it seems as though we are losing relatively to Liverpool and Spurs, while Man U and City are heading off to new territory.

Can you explain the bold bit? Our revenues are marginally bigger than Liverpool, and streets ahead of Spurs based on the last results.