• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Many articles claiming it is to do with Bertrand Traore playing a friendly game before he was 18. Club say we had an option agreement ratified by my the FA and Premier League which allowed him to do so. I also thoight we poached him from Auxerre academy so not necessarily from outside the EU although he didn't have an EU passport. Club were pretty careful with not playing him in any U21 games so hopefully did their due diligence on the friendly (effectively playing as a trialist) if that is indeed the source of investigation.

That would be the game where he scored a blinder.  I remember at the time that it was made very clear that he was playing as a trialist.

There was absolutely no subterfuge.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Cavani in January anyone?

That would be a decent signing as Cavani would be able to fill in as a wing-forward in the 343/3421 and as a striker in the 352. 

Signing Cavani would make a massive difference. Perfect January recruitment although he's getting on a bit (31 in february). 

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

That would be a decent signing as Cavani would be able to fill in as a wing-forward in the 343/3421 and as a striker in the 352. 

Signing Cavani would make a massive difference. Perfect January recruitment although he's getting on a bit (31 in february). 

If you could pick him at the right price (whatever that is) would be a huge shot in the arm. Obviously cup tied but you could certainly manage Morata for the latter stages of the CL (God willing)

Zoowraa   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

If you could pick him at the right price (whatever that is) would be a huge shot in the arm. Obviously cup tied but you could certainly manage Morata for the latter stages of the CL (God willing)

Yeah I would take him all day. Always been a fan of him, gets stick for missing chances, but I don't really mind that. His movement is so good that he will always get chances, someone I wish we would have looked at when he left Palermo a few years back.

Despite his age, I would quite happily give him a 3 year contract if you could get him for say £30-£40 million

bluehorn   

Initial reported fee for Costa is 50m. I would say that given we were on the back foot from the off regarding this (everyone knew we wanted him gone, and that he only wanted Atletico) we have done good business here. I'll also add the fact his hamstring issues are well documented and I believe physically he is past his peak. Certainly doesn't run with the ball half as well as he did at Atletico.

To play devils advocate, had the above circumstances not been in play, I think 90-100m might have been attainable. Lukaku was 90m, and whilst 4 years younger is not in the same league. Higuain was 75m I believe, and that was 2 years ago. 

Edited by bluehorn

1 hour ago, bluehorn said:

Initial reported fee for Costa is 50m. I would say that given we were on the back foot from the off regarding this (everyone knew we wanted him gone, and that he only wanted Atletico) we have done good business here. I'll also add the fact his hamstring issues are well documented and I believe physically he is past his peak. Certainly doesn't run with the ball half as well as he did at Atletico.

To play devils advocate, had the above circumstances not been in play, I think 90-100m might have been attainable. Lukaku was 90m, and whilst 4 years younger is not in the same league. Higuain was 75m I believe, and that was 2 years ago. 

Given the circumstances as they were, and that AM were talking £25-£30m during the summer, let's be thankful for getting as much as £50m!!

• Like 1

It an official statement of terms being agreed - not an actual deal yet (though presumably Costa and AM have been talking already.

But the fee is only the 2 day old rumour from the Spanish press. 

Zoowraa   

Not that we are necessarily in the market for central midfielders after adding a couple.

I have happened to catch two Newcastle games this season at Swansea and Brighton yesterday. What a good young player this Mikel Merino looks. Typically brilliant Spanish midfielder.

If anyone not had chance to watch him then look out for him when you get chance. Fantastic technical ability, rarely gives the ball away, skilfull and always seems to have time on the ball, but also very good when he has the ball in tight spaces.

Very classy player, I really can't see why Dortmund have let him go. Its an area we are quite well stocked in now, but he could cut it at a much higher standing than Newcastle from what I have seen.