• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Yes let's buy a sixth version of what we already have. 

can't have enough CBs really and attacking players are overrated anyways. 

I should be surprised people are talking about more defensive players but I'm not. 

We need to throw everything at Alexis Sanchez. There is no other deal that makes anywhere near as much sense. 

Rumours of PSG and City being interested and not a single word written about us which can only be a good thing. He walks into our starting 11 where as he has an awful lot of competition at the other two and he gets to stay in London, which he has said he wants.

It's the sort of deal that makes so much sense I would be amazed if it didn't happen, regardless of the media wanting everyone to believe he only has eyes for Pep. 

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I should be surprised people are talking about more defensive players but I'm not. 

We need to throw everything at Alexis Sanchez. There is no other deal that makes anywhere near as much sense. 

Rumours of PSG and City being interested and not a single word written about us which can only be a good thing. He walks into our starting 11 where as he has an awful lot of competition at the other two and he gets to stay in London, which he has said he wants.

It's the sort of deal that makes so much sense I would be amazed if it didn't happen, regardless of the media wanting everyone to believe he only has eyes for Pep. 

My only issue with Sanchez is his age. Nearly 30 to go alongside Pedro and Willian, both 30+ 

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

My only issue with Sanchez is his age. Nearly 30 to go alongside Pedro and Willian, both 30+ 

He want a 3 year contract at 300k per week?

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

He want a 3 year contract at 300k per week?

If true, that is an outlay of GBP 46.8m........ I guess that is manageable. 

If you bought a £25m player on £150k a week, the outcome is roughly the same 

xCELERYx   
17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If true, that is an outlay of GBP 46.8m........ I guess that is manageable. 

If you bought a £25m player on £150k a week, the outcome is roughly the same 

Except that Sanchez will be 30 next December and that basically means the majority of any big contract is going to be served as a player who is 30+. 

If we're to buy a player for £25m, said player is likely to not only have more years ahead of him but also hold some sort of resale value down the line. Sanchez on the other hand would need to recapture his prior season form and hit the ground running for us to get maximum value. There wouldn't be much leeway in terms of settling. 

I like Sanchez and was a big supporter of signing him both when leaving Udinese and then again when leaving Barca. I think now though we're better off looking elsewhere - more so if 352 ends up being the favoured system going forward. For me, he doesn't fit our timeline anymore unless we somehow manage to get him on a team friendly contract.

Edited by xCELERYx

jones   

Sanchez is a top quality player and would strengthen us without a doubt. Imo could work both in 3-4-3 as AM or CF and as SS in 3-5-2. I think we will continue playing both systems, and consider it a strength to have a flexible squad. Celery's point on Sanchez' age is relevant. Not because I am against buying a 30 year old player who is likely to have at least 3 more years at the top level, but because the club has a pretty clear investment strategy. The argument that he comes on a free transfer is hampered by his wage demands. I think Conte would love him, but that the club will want to look at other options - players who can be regarded as more "sustainable investments".

Personally, I would like us to mainly buy players that will strengthen our first XI. If we need to improve the depth in the squad, you don't buy a squad player - you buy a first XI player that pushes a current first XI player. Alex Sandro, Sanchez and Icardi are such examples. Or you bring in players from the academy or loan army who have performed really well and who are ready to stake a proper claim. Like Christensen did this summer and like Loftus-Cheek is likely to do next summer.

A top quality LWB and CF/SS + Loftus-Cheek is going to improve us massively both quality and depth-wise.

Edited by jones

Even with a LWB, RLC, Abrahams and possibly an upgrade on Batshuayi we'll still also need at least 2 more attacking midfielders. I'd hoped Palmer might be one of them but with all his injuries he doesn't have much time left to break through this season.

That's before any players decide they want to leave!

8 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Even with a LWB, RLC, Abrahams and possibly an upgrade on Batshuayi we'll still also need at least 2 more attacking midfielders.

I'd hoped Palmer might be one of them but with all his injuries he doesn't have much time left to break through this season.

That's before any players decide they want to leave!

Ditto,  Ditto (pity)

or before the club decides some 29+ players ought to go - there is a lot of them, starting with Fabregas, Pedro and Willian, the heart of the title winning teams.

Gotta say, this is the quietest lead up to a window that I can remember. Just about a month to go and deals are often close to being sealed at this point. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.