• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

8 minutes ago, Sir said:

Can’t find our old KDB topic when we signed him but... why did we allow him to go? I mean seriously.

The answer is in the old topic.  Pretty clearly.  A poor man's Frank Lampard copy with a poor man's Frank Le Tissier workrate.  He wasn't going to be ready for us for a long time.  Not with the real Frank already in the team.

22 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He wasn't going to be ready for us for a long time.  Not with the real Frank already in the team.

You really can't use SFL as an excuse for what happened to KdB, can you? The real Frank Lampard was shown the door at the end of the 2013/14 season. So was de Bruyne. KdB was 23 years old with a future, and Frank was 36 and (sadly) on his last legs. KdB made 3 PL appearances for Chelsea that season, before being shuttled-off to Wolfsburg.

IMO, that was horrible decision.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

You really can't use SFL as an excuse for what happened to KdB, can you? The real Frank Lampard was shown the door at the end of the 2013/14 season. So was de Bruyne. KdB was 23 years old with a future, and Frank was 36 and (sadly) on his last legs. KdB made 3 PL appearances for Chelsea that season, before being shuttled-off to Wolfsburg.

Horrible decision or not, but when an underperforming player isn't ready to fight for his place and asks, no DEMANDS, to leave against the managers wishes there's little the club can do. 

I withold the belief that KDB wouldn't function in a Chelsea side even today - with JM or Conte. He isn't that type of player. He has one gear (second) and jogs around the pitch but has the luxury to place himself in positions where he can do damage with the ball. He can do that because City has such attacking talent and are better in every position compared to the rest of the league. 

Try putting him behind Morata in the 5311 and see how good he'll look then. He'd be utterly useless. He plays as a CM for City - Jose and Conte asks more of their CMs and for Jose's 4231 he was nowhere near good enough at pressing to hold down a starting role as an AM. I know people were salvating over him last season as well but I'd say he was one of the reasons City didn't win the league last year - a player that made City soft. Now they are so much better than everyone else while KDB himself has taken one step forward as well. His limitations are utterly irrelevant now but they wouldn't be irrelevant if he played for us imo.

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Horrible decision or not, but when an underperforming player isn't ready to fight for his place and asks, no DEMANDS, to leave against the managers wishes there's little the club can do. 

Tell me, Dave, how was de Bruyne 'under-performing'? He barely played that final season - 3 PL appearances. And 'DEMANDS' to leave? Really?

10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Tell me, Dave, how was de Bruyne 'under-performing'? He barely played that final season - 3 PL appearances. And 'DEMANDS' to leave? Really?

Yes REALLY Michael. 

there's not even guesswork needed. Just plain good old reading what player and manager said at the time when he left. 

But you seem intent on ignoring that and making up your own truth. I won't stop you as it seems important to you. 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

The real Frank Lampard was signed by money boys Man City at the end of 13/14 while Frank de Bruyne went to Wolfsburg.  But even today he is an example to any young RLC or Musonda who thinks they can get by on talent.

Three PL appearances, 3 LC starts and 3 CL appearances (5 starts +4).    Lazy and hugely underwhelming as a creative force when he played.  Come on we all saw that much.  And in a team that played 424 with a huge demand on the AMs being very active.  KdB just didn't look good or capable of playing in such a team.

11 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Go open the KdB thread.  It isn't as though no one commented on it.

33 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I withold the belief that KDB wouldn't function in a Chelsea side even today - with JM or Conte. He isn't that type of player. He has one gear (second) and jogs around the pitch but has the luxury to place himself in positions where he can do damage with the ball. He can do that because City has such attacking talent and are better in every position compared to the rest of the league. 

Try putting him behind Morata in the 5311 and see how good he'll look then. He'd be utterly useless. He plays as a CM for City - Jose and Conte asks more of their CMs and for Jose's 4231 he was nowhere near good enough at pressing to hold down a starting role as an AM.

Not sure I would go that far.  In workrate there has been a huge improvement since he left.  Not quite PL average yet, but nothing like the creature he was when here.  And the City system is essentially 4-1-5 where all front 5 both defend and break rapidly.  If you can afford the 8 or so AMs you need to rotate in any game, then that is certainly the most effective way to play.  Otherwise you go 532 and hope for worldies.

How anyone can defend Jose on the KDB decision is beyond me. It sounds comical when droy confidently lists a grand total of 9 sporadic appearances , with only 3 starts and justifies that because he was not decent in those meagre appearances, selling him was correct. FFS he was only played in fits and starts. 

Truth is, there's a pattern. Certain players simply don't fit Jose's eye/system and simply aren't given an appropriate chance. Maybe he should bring about little changes in his system to get the best out of certain players of at least see of they are worth doing it so. Jose fcked up a lot the second time regarding the selling of players, and honestly doesn't seem to be the same man after Madrid. There's an air of passiveness and negativity about him, but that's for another topic.

1 hour ago, Chelsea25 said:

How anyone can defend Jose on the KDB decision is beyond me. It sounds comical when droy confidently lists a grand total of 9 sporadic appearances , with only 3 starts and justifies that because he was not decent in those meagre appearances, selling him was correct. FFS he was only played in fits and starts. 

Truth is, there's a pattern. Certain players simply don't fit Jose's eye/system and simply aren't given an appropriate chance. Maybe he should bring about little changes in his system to get the best out of certain players of at least see of they are worth doing it so. Jose fcked up a lot the second time regarding the selling of players, and honestly doesn't seem to be the same man after Madrid. There's an air of passiveness and negativity about him, but that's for another topic.

So what type of player has Jose discarded at United? What creative player has he sold? 

Your post and conclusion is lazy and full of myths. Sorry to say, but there's no other conclusion to make. 20-20 is very easy - you are second guessing one of the worlds best manager 4 years after the decision was made. Surely you can see how stupid that is?

KDB started our first three games, didn't perform and was ousted by a player that performed better. Basically what happens at all clubs evertyday of the year. When he was given chances he didn't perform while his competitors did. It really isn't difficult. 

The nail was surely the LC game away to Swindon where he was comfortably the worst player on the pitch. On that showing he wouldn't be a starter for Swindon let alone Chelsea. I remember that game well because I absolutely slaughtered him after that performance. It was pitiful and he basically said through his performance that he wasn't up for it. Took him two and a half years to get to an acceptable level. If you think any Chelsea manager can play an underperforming player for 2,5 years you must have been sleeping since 2003. 

Brin   

Well I look at the loss of KDB with the same sorrow that I did with the loss of Jimmy Greaves, yes I go that far back. You look at KDB's display against the Spuds and he's a absolute impact driver of a player either driving forward at pace or splaying out instant passes to the wings.

I can understand comments saying that he wasn't that player when he was with us but players need time to develop. We appear to be to busy running a pig breeder system where we fatten the piglets up and sell them on at a profit without having the resource or wherewithal to be able to pick out and bring on the first prize winners at the county show.

A really big loss and I'm gutted.

• Like 1

Holymoly   
14 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Performance, or lack thereof, in league appearances is really only the tip of the iceberg. Everyone seems to think real life must be like Football Manager. Sit the players down in the changing room before the game and motivate them. It isn't like that. There is a week's work of training before Saturday arrives and if a player hasn't been performing well in the leadup up to the game why would you play him at the weekend? I know how I'd feel if I was knocking my guts out day in day out then my spot was taken by some champagne charlie who barey appeared in training.

I don't know what the situation was but I am quite confident in guessing no manager is going to cold shoulder an amazing talent for the fun of it. It's a team game and maybe KdB wasn't being a team player. Who knows? Whatever though it hasn't exactly harmed out success rate over the last few years. Sometimes players just don't fit with a club. I could care less where the guy is playing now.