• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Really at a loss as to why we don't just wait to sign him for free in the summer.

Spurs were looking at him and they probably were considering a bid so he wouldnt have been there in the summer and if the club wanted him it had to be now or never. The argument about wages is doubtful, they will or would pay the same either way, salaries are not an issue these days

It's strange one, the Barkley signing, because he's no better than RLC in my opinion. And Ruben's having a great season at Palace so my hope is that he'll come back in an even stronger position to challenge for a place next year. 

Based on Bakayoko's performances this season, I'd put Drinkwater ahead of him (he knows the league, has title winning experience , has a great synergy with Kante and his distribution is far superior). And once RLC is back, I'd much rather see him in the lineup ahead of Bakayoko even if his performances aren't outstanding straight away. I think as fans we're a lot more tolerant of a youth player feeling his way into the team than we are an expensive foreign signing.

As far as transfers go, I'm dreaming but I'd love us to get Bertrand back or go for Sandro, plus get Aubameyang and Alexis Sanchez. That would be a sweet January window! 

Sea foot   

I can't remember much tolerance on these boards when RLC played here previously.

48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're missing an obvious point. Sign him for free in 6 months and his wages are even higher. The net result is the same. 

Let's play the guessing game:

£15m transfer, £5m a year for 4 years. Total outlay of £35m. 

Or

Zero transfer fee £8m a year. Total outlay of £32m. The difference is negligible and we get him now, rather than risk missing out. 

Sounds expensive either way.  But from Barkleys point of view, if he thinks he can get  £32m  in wages for 4 years in June, why would he sign for £20m now?  Well he wouldn't would he.  I'd be very surprised if anyone would sign a player with 6 months on his contract for £15m (unless the player was worth £200k a week plus).
Either it isn't £15m or we are getting shafted, or perhaps it is one of those "we'll pay you £15m if you promise to pay him the £10m bonus he'd have got if he had extended his contract, and then we can pay him lower wages and we all look good" deals.

48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He obviously isn't utter sh*t. This is no Steve Sidwell. £15m isn't mega expensive in this market for anyone. Aston Villa paid that much for a championship striker. 

Except Sidwell wasn't utter sh*t, he came on a free and left for a probable £5m.  
He spent the next 8 seasons after leaving us in the Prem, and in fact appeared on the bench this season in the Prem for Brighton (though he has disappeared since August).

In a team that had Ballack, Lampard, Essien, Maka, Mikel, Malouda, Kalou, SWP, Joe Cole, and Anelka, all competing for the 5 positions behind the striker, Sidwell make 25 appearance in a team that was 2nd in the league (85 point LC finalist) and unlucky CL finalists. 

No he wasn't in the same class as his peers, but he was exactly what we wanted then and much more so now.  Solid, competent backup.
Exactly the opposite to Barkley.

chelboy   

If Auba is available we should go for him. Would be great having two strikers with similar ability. 

Barkley certainly has ability no doubt about that. I think Conte will grow to like him. He gives us something different in the midfield. He can play both in 352 and 343. We are needing someone to play the Bakayoko role in a 352. I think Barkley will surprise a few who have forgotten what he plays like when he is on his game.

JaneB   

No 8 shirt. No pressure then.

I can see Barkley, RLC and Kante as a midfield 3. Barkley the box-to-box Lampard-type player, RLC as the Ballack/Fabregas playmaker, Kante the more defensive (Maka) role. 

Wanted Barkley for years and if you see video of some of his creativity and goals it’s not difficult to see why. Certainly not the “oaf” I have heard him called.

Only 24, huge talent, knows the PL, will improve, great signing - and for £15 million we can’t lose. Even if he flops we make a profit.

He will need time to fully recover match fitness - we probably won’t see the best of him till next season. But an excellent signing.

I don’t think he is replacement for RLC. I think they are being lined up to play together. Those two plus Kante would be a great midfield 3 long term.

Edited by James Prescott

Can’t see him playing much this season. More like the club are taking a punt on him, rather than his being a serious contender to walk into the first team. If Barkley turns out to be another Lampard then that’s great, but it’s a long shot. The bottom line is we’ve paid 15m for an experienced, capable English squad player. It’s a no-brainer really. 

Edited by Original 21

JaneB   
2 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I can see Barkley, RLC and Kante as a midfield 3. Barkley the box-to-box Lampard-type player, RLC as the Ballack/Fabregas playmaker, Kante the more defensive (Maka) role. 

Fabregas is the Ballack/Fabregas playmaker and long may it continue.

• Like 1