• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Coutinho for 160mil really says a whole lot about how much **** the market is these days.

Tbh, I can't see it getting any better in the summer - if it's quality you're after. It will take increasingly ridiculous amounts of money to buy the best, and even those close to the best. Going to take a financial meltdown for things to change.

jones   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Tbh, I can't see it getting any better in the summer - if it's quality you're after. It will take increasingly ridiculous amounts of money to buy the best, and even those close to the best. Going to take a financial meltdown for things to change.

Yeah. And while the most "privileged" clubs will drive up the prices, sustainable investment will continue to be the story for us. We will mainly be buying younger players with resale value, e.g., Barkley and Morata. And try to give them the same development curve of Hazard, Courtois, Azpilicueta etc. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

It's interesting, for sure. Perhaps though this mad market might make clubs (hopefully us) re-evaluate the value of the youth players coming through. 

If you can produce a first team squad player now, that is a potetnial saving of £35m. Produce 2 or 3 and you are looking at £100m worth of transfer fees saved. (before a certain someone chips in, I know there is a cost to producing these players, but until we close the academy down, that cost exists regardless)

With all due resepct to players like Moses and Drinkwater, we should be able to churn players of this standard from an academy whose record is one of the best in europe over the last 5-10 years. I don't get annoyed that we haven't produce a Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, JT type yet, but we should be able to pad the squad with youth products rather than spend a fortune on mediocrity (we are absolutely not the only ones to do this btw). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's interesting, for sure. Perhaps though this mad market might make clubs (hopefully us) re-evaluate the value of the youth players coming through. 

If you can produce a first team squad player now, that is a potetnial saving of £35m. Produce 2 or 3 and you are looking at £100m worth of transfer fees saved. (before a certain someone chips in, I know there is a cost to producing these players, but until we close the academy down, that cost exists regardless)

With all due resepct to players like Moses and Drinkwater, we should be able to churn players of this standard from an academy whose record is one of the best in europe over the last 5-10 years. I don't get annoyed that we haven't produce a Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, JT type yet, but we should be able to pad the squad with youth products rather than spend a fortune on mediocrity (we are absolutely not the only ones to do this btw). 

Hopefully Conte will take another look at Dujon Sterling, Although he came on for the last few minutes, his energy desire and general team play seemed far above some of the squad players who were given 80/90 minutes to impress. As you quite rightly say could save the club a fortune on mediocre players

Some words on #CFC's current direction & thoughts on a potential new philosophy. Looking at how we *could* use our best asset (the Academy) to create long-term sustainable success & the creation of a proper Football Board™.

https://analytics.twitter.com/mob_idsync_click?slug=KvLw19348h&idb=AAAAEIAy3eNFFYeXiTXJadrnVWFXoYgaSZxotNlzMJ2gpXb2h5eF9_5CqJ1qbXgoSndiWjLWqZvMYmamUCMCMk96cC0f3ALVlpTUvsXCLkjSyB8Wjtmg4UckyxrkhJHTBfRUEzdeVBL-fYpYYaZY8jJ9eqtj43GZ&ad_tracking=true&tailored_ads=false

From former (sadly) CFCnet poster Joe Tweedy. Great article looking beneath the surface.

Edited by Kneel for 1
Link fix

6 hours ago, Kneel for 1 said:

From former (sadly) CFCnet poster Joe Tweedy. Great article looking beneath the surface.

I read this on the train this morning, it's a fantastic read and some very interesting points made. 

Matt Law, who broke the Barkley story, saying we won’t pay £60 million asking price for Sandro.

I give up. Champions of England, who saved £20 million on Barkley by buying him now, refuse to pay out for a top player who would improve our squad, when we can afford it.

And that’s an example of why we are 16 points off the top of the league.

Penny Pinchers United.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I read this on the train this morning, it's a fantastic read and some very interesting points made. 

Yeah I read that. Very good article. Agree with it completely - though I still say we should be able to afford at least one or two big signings a year.