• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

28 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

It's not just that we're not spending enough. Even Liverpool have spent fortunes on top players recently - not just one, but 3, and now are linked with Mahrez, Lemar and Greizzman. 

Liverpool are outspending us. If we don't spend big soon, they will overtake us next season. They are already closing in on us with VVD, and they will spend big to replace Coutinho. 

We need about 3 big players - a forward/RW, a wing back, and a CB. Top top players. For example, Lemar, Sandro and Koulibaly. Why not?

So you think two of the three players we need are defenders?

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

It's not just that we're not spending enough. Even Liverpool have spent fortunes on top players recently - not just one, but 3, and now are linked with Mahrez, Lemar and Greizzman. 

Yes, and how has that helped them so far? Do you think that they'll win the PL? The CL? No, of course they won't (not yet, anyway). It's not just about buying a bunch of names, is it? Unless you're Man City, and have an absolutely unlimited amount of money to splurge - then it's about buying as many names as you can!

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, and how has that helped them so far? Do you think that they'll win the PL? The CL? No, of course they won't (not yet, anyway). It's not just about buying a bunch of names, is it? Unless you're Man City, and have an absolutely unlimited amount of money to splurge - then it's about buying as many names as you can!

We don’t need many players but we do need two or three big ones.

RLC can come back in the summer to deepen our midfield options (I still see a RLC, Kante, Barkley axis as the long term future). We can bring Zouma back in defence or sell him to buy a top class CB to play with Dave and Christensen. We can buy either Sessegnon or an established top class WB, and a top attacking player/striker to rotate with Morata (I still think Vardy or Sanchez would be great, and both are gettable now, relatively cheap). Unless they really think Tammy is ready for our first team to seriously challenge Morata. Even then, two strikers isn’t enough.

Thorgan Hazard as a long term replacement for Pedro or Willian is being touted, he would be a great signing.

Liverpool are slowly building a team to win the title. Not ready this season, no. But one more good window and they will be. We need to stay ahead and keep investing money we do have. £150-180 million would get the three big players we need, and we can make at least half that back in player sales anyway. 

I love that the board are wanting to invest in younger talent. I am right behind that. But it has to be the best young talent. We need to stay ambitious in the market.

3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Fair enough. I’m sure I read an article saying he was worth £11 billion in 2017. 

Still, £8 billion. It’s not like he’s short of the odd hundred million. 

And in terms of clubs money, I look at the official figures released by the club, the fees received for players this summer the amount actually spent, the per year payments of all our sponsors, and the official Premier League payments figures. All official, all public. 

So no, I don’t pluck them out of thin air Bob. Not in any way. Sorry.

But the figures you never take account of are those on the other side of the balance sheet.

39 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I agree Michael, and as said by others in the past it depends who you can get with all that money.

41 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

We don’t need many players but we do need two or three big ones.

We have 7 big ones already.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

We have 7 big ones already.

Yep. But we need more to be a truly top team. And some of the older players may need to go. Three top players over 30 isn’t wise. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Yep. But we need more to be a truly top team. And some of the older players may need to go. Three top players over 30 isn’t wise. 

Neither is spending £25m on a 29 year old Sanchez who will also be 30 midway through next season. That would leave 3 of our attacking midfielders at 30+ (Pedro, Willian and Sanchez). With Fabregas rounding out the 4th player. 

If we wanted Alexis Sanchez, we should have signed him when he left Udinese or when he left Barcelona.

33 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Neither is spending £25m on a 29 year old Sanchez who will also be 30 midway through next season. That would leave 3 of our attacking midfielders at 30+ (Pedro, Willian and Sanchez). With Fabregas rounding out the 4th player. 

If we wanted Alexis Sanchez, we should have signed him when he left Udinese or when he left Barcelona.

Are you suggesting Sanchez is a bit of 'has been' (or soon will be) coz I'd have him in a heartbeat. I think 30 is the new 27 for a player that has looked after himself.

xCELERYx   
6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Are you suggesting Sanchez is a bit of 'has been' (or soon will be) coz I'd have him in a heartbeat. I think 30 is the new 27 for a player that has looked after himself.

Not at all, he'll still be a good player for at least two more seasons. However, we also don't need more money wrapped up in a 30+ year old attacking midfield when we've already got two for next year. By the time you factor in a transfer fee, wages, and his form dip this season, it's a bit harder to justify the deal. Plus, the idea of having to replace 3 AM's all within a short period of time doesn't sit well with how we've conducted ourselves in the market.

Only way I could really justify Sanchez at this point is if he was a free transfer. Even then, I'd probably still be looking to deal one of Pedro or Willian in the process for someone a bit younger. That way we're not left with a gap when it comes to transition.